The history of the Westshoremen

Hey guys and gals, Best regards for a great tradition. Every one of you deserves credit, just as much the staff, for all your performance efforts and great results. Don't forget your heritage and I don't think any of you do.

Kevin Doherty

• Like 1

Same here. can't wait for when I walked away from 93-02...

"What the Hell did that guy just say on the 1996 cassette.... DCA Champs.... WHO???". :blink:

you have no idea.....

you have no idea.....

At the Reilly Shamrock show Dave Fisher was talking about the Dizzy World trip. Hearing a kid say "Mommy, why does the creek smell?" and realizing it was the unis. Then Dave and Rick Adams were going thru the "You Suck.. no you suck.." bit and then explained it was something they picked up from Gary Ulrich. ... oh yeah... the Barelytones <$1 to Rich T?>.

I was roaring and young lady (now in the Air Force :worthy: ) who never did corps was like --> :blink:

I never got into the pain for the sake of winning stuff so glad I was in when I was. Just let me play my #### horn and BS with people and I'm happy. But youse guyz had yer fun too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

For the record (and before you move on past the early '80s), my own subjective all-time favorite Westshore musical moment:

Standing next to Dave R at DCA finals when the corps laid into the "Stardust" intro to "All the Things". He turned to me and uttered 2 words..."Holy C##P!". And that about summed it up.

At that instant, I believe he spoke for everybody in the stadium, all of whom had just been momentarily levitated off the surface of the planet. I know I was.

For the record (and before you move on past the early '80s), my own subjective all-time favorite Westshore musical moment:

Standing next to Dave R at DCA finals when the corps laid into the "Stardust" intro to "All the Things". He turned to me and uttered 2 words..."Holy C##P!". And that about summed it up.

At that instant, I believe he spoke for everybody in the stadium, all of whom had just been momentarily levitated off the surface of the planet. I know I was.

Can't remember when Dave joined the corps but pretty sure he had some lumps from the days we were doing RCA shows and trying to make DCA Finals. For those of us who were there for the "Prelims And Done" days (daze?) the early 80s corps were from another planet. And can't imagine what it was like for the few members from the start in 74 when we scored a 37.35 at out first show in almost 2 years.

Was working rotating shifts in Uncle Sams computer building and only time I saw the corps in '82 was Carlisle. Just kept sitting there shaking my head going.... right uniforms.... I see people I know.... but THAT'S Westshore?

Already told Ben the story about how I found out about WSM winning the Clifton opener. Called Paul G (carried biggest bass drum) and asked how it went. Paul chuckles and gives me the placings from last to 2nd place. He paused and I started to ask "So who won?". Then it hit me.... "he never said Westshoremen". Then I got the point spread and started looking for Rod Serling.

Can't remember when Dave joined the corps but pretty sure he had some lumps from the days we were doing RCA shows and trying to make DCA Finals. For those of us who were there for the "Prelims And Done" days (daze?) the early 80s corps were from another planet. And can't imagine what it was like for the few members from the start in 74 when we scored a 37.35 at out first show in almost 2 years.

Was working rotating shifts in Uncle Sams computer building and only time I saw the corps in '82 was Carlisle. Just kept sitting there shaking my head going.... right uniforms.... I see people I know.... but THAT'S Westshore?

Already told Ben the story about how I found out about WSM winning the Clifton opener. Called Paul G (carried biggest bass drum) and asked how it went. Paul chuckles and gives me the placings from last to 2nd place. He paused and I started to ask "So who won?". Then it hit me.... "he never said Westshoremen". Then I got the point spread and started looking for Rod Serling.

My history was only from 1978 (1977 for DCI, mainly from watching it on PBS) and I must say that the transition from what I saw in 1978, to what I DID in the 80's was an amazing turn around. Clifton was surreal experience, and the best part of it was that we didn't KNOW how good we were at that point!...the nucleus of people that were there in 1982 that I started with in 1979 was small, and there were a FEW that were there from earlier years....our attitude was hopefully taking out someone during the year that we hadn't beaten ever before...we didn't know we were going to do it NOW and with a big vengeance! I think most of us were a tad peeved that we dropped to 6th at the end of 81 after making top 5 in 80, we wanted to remedy that!

My history was only from 1978 (1977 for DCI, mainly from watching it on PBS) and I must say that the transition from what I saw in 1978, to what I DID in the 80's was an amazing turn around. Clifton was surreal experience, and the best part of it was that we didn't KNOW how good we were at that point!...the nucleus of people that were there in 1982 that I started with in 1979 was small, and there were a FEW that were there from earlier years....our attitude was hopefully taking out someone during the year that we hadn't beaten ever before...we didn't know we were going to do it NOW and with a big vengeance! I think most of us were a tad peeved that we dropped to 6th at the end of 81 after making top 5 in 80, we wanted to remedy that!

Only three I know for sure that were there 74-82 were Paul G (started playing "Bertha" 76 IIRC), Tree Bowman and Steve Fillipelli. Horn line had a lot of HS'ers like me in 74 and by 82 we were outta of college if we went and at the J.O.B. The horn players who had corps experience (vets) in 74 mostly stuck around a few years until we got started. Off the top of my head only horn vets left by 79 were Tree, Bill Light and maybe Glen "Dink" Perry (78 yes, 79 not sure). Then we have Ogre (no other name needed) who was in 74-79 and horn instructor after the 84 reforming. No idea where he was 80-83 but that would have been right after college for him.

I have to check out the 74 corps pic I have to try to see the faces.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Only three I know for sure that were there 74-82 were Paul G (started playing "Bertha" 76 IIRC), Tree Bowman and Steve Fillipelli. Horn line had a lot of HS'ers like me in 74 and by 82 we were outta of college if we went and at the J.O.B. The horn players who had corps experience (vets) in 74 mostly stuck around a few years until we got started. Off the top of my head only horn vets left by 79 were Tree, Bill Light and maybe Glen "Dink" Perry (78 yes, 79 not sure). Then we have Ogre (no other name needed) who was in 74-79 and horn instructor after the 84 reforming. No idea where he was 80-83 but that would have been right after college for him.

I have to check out the 74 corps pic I have to try to see the faces.....

What years did the "Barry Boys" originally march? I know Dave and Randy did a little time here and there, but Don was there a LONG time.

How abut Bob Spichler? (I'll never forget Ogre yelling to him one day "Hey Spich, how your wife and my kid?") :tongue:

Nutz... forgot about Don B, saw him in one of the WSM FB pics from 80s or 90s and my jaw dropped. Dave was in from 74 (if not earlier) until 79 or so. Think I saw him at 80 or 81 Carlisle and he was not marching. Randy I just can't place.

Spichler came in around 77/78 or so. Saw him at winter practice on the CV stage and thought grandpa was checking things out before he let the kid join. Then Grandpa picks up a horn and sits his butt down. :blink: Then we thought first long drill rehearsal he'd be gone, wrong again. :worthy: Probably hardest thing he did in the corps was NOT killing someone (Ogre or Bowser?) when the wife and kids line was used (he was highly PO'ed).

Edited by JimF-LowBari