The history of the Westshoremen

It was weird how many of us used to wear long pants, especially jeans...but I wasn't really that much of a shorts fan in those days, and I remember a few people getting NASTY burns on their legs, so the longer pants seemed better suited...After a while I opted out of jeans for white painters pants...had two pairs I rotated for practices, I wore them up until 84 since I was in the pit that year, we didn't spend a WHOLE lot of time in the sun...just enough!

I always wore a hat back then..I was the consummate baseball-head (playing mostly, we had a good group of kids in my neighborhood that would play 3-5 days a week) and always had a hat..in fact I think the only time I took it off was when I went to sleep, and when I got to church...my mom used to say "leave that in the car!" So that hat thing was never a problem...once I joined Bucs, it was mandatory...Robbie didn't want us to get what he called "roofer head"....not sure what that was, but it apparently was a Crossmen euphemism of some sort, I think Mark Thurston made some mention of it when he came in to consult...Seeing recent pictures of their rehearsals that a few friends that are still marching put up on FB, it almost looks like EVERYONE in the corps wears a hat of some type...good idea, I guess...

The hydration thing for me came from my mother...she was always saying "make sure you drink enough" and sent me on my weekends with plenty of Gatorade (that she mixed from powders) After a while, I got tired of the "green death" flavor, and just took a few gallon jugs of spring water, shame that they didn't have all of those crazy flavors back then (I think I was also ahead of the curve with bottled water)

But as I said, I only remember going out twice... I remember a girl in the guard that I messed around with in 1983 who had sweating issues, and didn't produce enough sweat to cool her system down, and would usually be out of it after the shows.

we did hats for roofers head as well.

it means if you're out there exposed to the sun with nothing on your head, eventually it gets to you, can make you dizzy....and fall down. and on a roof...not good.

Once we went to shakos, hats came in handy for sound as well. Aussies created different sounds, but we didn't rehearse in them often....and we all hated the ####### helmets

he knew in May. First time he went down, the back up DM got on the box. everything went south. How south?

Well...imagine if that DM had been allowed on stage with us after all of the "drama" the other year.

Then triple it.

Now imagine Dan jumping off the scaffold, pushing that DM off the box and conducting.

it was that Bad. I'm sure in 23 years we'll cover the 15 years in between where we left off until wecan come to that.

Dan beat us, but he was great at keeping us hydrated, especially at parades

OUCH!

Man what I missed when I took off for 10 years.......

Yeah still would rather be with a sucky corps and enjoy myself than deal with more drama than a Mexican Soap Opera. (Saw "Modern Family" last night and that's stuck in my mind.)

OUCH!

yeah. that bad

Yeah still would rather be with a sucky corps and enjoy myself than deal with more drama than a Mexican Soap Opera. (Saw "Modern Family" last night and that's stuck in my mind.)

well...97 was a sucky corps.....with more drama than a Mexican Soap Opera

Dan beat us, but he was great at keeping us hydrated, especially at parades

Musta been a Crossman thing..... :thumbs-up:

I know enough of what you speak now to understand that issue. Thank God I pulled the trigger to start the Alumni show 3ish years back and not the person who forget on stage I had the gun. :satisfied:

I will say this was not the case with that individual I speak of from BITD. Not a critical spot by any means. A replacement could have been found and would have made everyone in the corps a lot happier.

In short, I had a happier and much more enjoyable experience in 1984 in 15th place than I did in 1983 when we were 4th. Wait till I get to 83. The gloves will come off as much as I can allow them to protect the guilty. And much of it had to do with people who came in for that season and that season only and pretty much turned us into a marching Telenovela... :devil:

Musta been a Crossman thing..... :thumbs-up:

Philly thing. apparently originated from guys whose fathers were in the roofers union

(which was just a little mobbed up)