The history of the Westshoremen

Jim, pretty good representation of history. Although another reason the Bonnie Scots was dropped was because of the musical option limitations caused by the Scots' name. We were looking to be musically more versatile. We couldn't be as musically diverse the other way!

But you did a good job there!!!

Thanks Steve, now I'm wondering why the heck I can remember something from 30 years ago and had problem finding my badge this morning. :P

First I heard about this reason for dropping Bonnie-Scots. Hmmm, a Scottish version of "My Way" ang "Livin' for the City"?

Hey Mr. Barletta (I know, way to much respect) :)

Do you ever see Glen? If so ask him about his trip to New Orleans... That was the trip he became a real man :). That was also the trip I showed Larry how to play poker :) I think I won close to $100 off of him (Not bad for only being 16).

Jeff/Jim...Fill me in on the 74/pre-74 stuff. Since my experience is only from 78 on, I'm pretty limited with that early time frame. Like, I KNEW that the 78 corps was filled with ex-Rebels, and that there was a re-birth so to speak prior to my arrival, but all that was vague.

When did the "Bonnie Scots" leave the picture? (and why were they ever IN the picture? hahaha!)

ben, in addition to what was said above, when the corps folded, the membership went 4 ways( there's that #### number again)

Reading.

Rebels

hanover

nowhere.

the nowhere crowd was extremely upset that people left. yet, some of them are the cause of why there was nowehre else to go.

by 78, when a lot of the Rebs crew was there, those w/the attitude were gone.

Hey Mr. Barletta (I know, way to much respect) :)

Do you ever see Glen? If so ask him about his trip to New Orleans... That was the trip he became a real man :). That was also the trip I showed Larry how to play poker :) I think I won close to $100 off of him (Not bad for only being 16).

It's the respect I deserve! hahaha! (especially from you :rolleyes: )

I haven't seen him in a few years...I actually ran into to him, maybe 5 years ago..could have been longer..the years are getting shorter!... when he was in town visiting his mom (who I actually used to run into more often and get "status" reports)

I think I remember some of the details from those years....

ben, in addition to what was said above, when the corps folded, the membership went 4 ways( there's that #### number again)

Reading.

Rebels

hanover

nowhere.

the nowhere crowd was extremely upset that people left. yet, some of them are the cause of why there was nowehre else to go.

by 78, when a lot of the Rebs crew was there, those w/the attitude were gone.

When I got to Hershey, there were a bunch of ex-Rebs there also (followed Bill T I imagine) One thing I do remember from that year, was that the horn arrangements were all "stolen" from the Rebels.

the drum parts were too if i recall.

the drum parts were too if i recall.

Some were...but most were either re-written or revised by Brian Schell...We initially used Sky and Reilly Raiders street times lumped together, but after a few parades, Brian wrote a new one.

I have a tape from a rehearsal with the Sky/Reilly times and out parade tunes, and also another with the field show we attempted (that includes the new street time) at the Danville that year. again that's buried in a box (or right on top like the "MUSIC" with singing tape from 83)

Hey Ben-

Are you still saving your broken sticks for kindling? I remember reading Modern Drummer a few years back when you wrote to them, telling how your brother takes them camping to start a fire. I think I still have the blurb somewhere. I think it included your brother's pic. What a cool way to recycle!

Sorry for being a little off-topic.

btw guys expect to find this thread in the new Historical Forum very soon.

So that's where Brian Schell came from. He was the drum instructor in '85 and I remember getting ###### good and lost after a late 4th of July parade in Maryland. We had to detour out of town because of the fireworks show and ended up on the wrong side of town. Remember driving up and down one road looking for 1) any route markers and 2) a gas station that was open. Ended up going to Lancaster because we finally saw a route number we recognized. It was either that or take Route #1 to Philly. Think I got home about 2AM.