The history of the Westshoremen

Interesting headline on the front page...apparently the Cab's are partnering with Penn State's indoor drumline...pretty wild! Funny story....A few weeks ago at the Ohio game, a few kids wearing snares were wandering the lots "drumming" up donations for the indoor line. So, of course I tossed a little $$ into the drum they were using as a "kitty", They played a few licks from the Blue Band performance and we clapped....before they left, I asked the kid if I could play his drum...he handed me the sticks and said sure! To I just pretty much played all the notes I remembered (sloppy, but thick on notes) and ended with a pretty decent roll and a loud rim shot :thumbup: ....the kid looked at me and said something to the effect of "holy crap, a lot of people have asked to play my drum, you were probably the best one to ever do it!" (my wife said that while I was playing his eyes got REALLY big, and the other guys mouth dropped about 3 feet) I said that was actually pretty bad, but thanks! Then I fessed up to my 'pedigree' and he was like "oh, ok...old drum corps hack, makes sense" He also said that the drums were Devils from 2008..pretty nice blue and white oyster pearl.

I liked it for the shock value, but man do I s-u-c-k! :tongue:

Just got back to the Westshore from my Parents.

The calls were easy, it was a question of how stingy one would be. Seeing as it's September 15... I was personally happy with being stingy.

I left room for later improvement for others. :satisfied:

I dont remember seeing a sub from you, but a few people...good lord

Interesting headline on the front page...apparently the Cab's are partnering with Penn State's indoor drumline...pretty wild! Funny story....A few weeks ago at the Ohio game, a few kids wearing snares were wandering the lots "drumming" up donations for the indoor line. So, of course I tossed a little $ into the drum they were using as a "kitty", They played a few licks from the Blue Band performance and we clapped....before they left, I asked the kid if I could play his drum...he handed me the sticks and said sure! To I just pretty much played all the notes I remembered (sloppy, but thick on notes) and ended with a pretty decent roll and a loud rim shot :thumbup: ....the kid looked at me and said something to the effect of "holy crap, a lot of people have asked to play my drum, you were probably the best one to ever do it!" (my wife said that while I was playing his eyes got REALLY big, and the other guys mouth dropped about 3 feet) I said that was actually pretty bad, but thanks! Then I fessed up to my 'pedigree' and he was like "oh, ok...old drum corps hack, makes sense" He also said that the drums were Devils from 2008..pretty nice blue and white oyster pearl.

I liked it for the shock value, but man do I s-u-c-k! :tongue:

Cabs former members on staff, makes sense

those drums were pretty. what got played on em not so much

Cabs former members on staff, makes sense

those drums were pretty. what got played on em not so much

AND I HELPED with the filth I played!! :tongue:

Edited by Jaminbenb

(my wife said that while I was playing his eyes got REALLY big, and the other guys mouth dropped about 3 feet)

Few years back I was at the Winchester, VA Apple Blossom Parade which has a ton of MBs from the VA/DC/MD area. Parade is so big we usually have an hour or two or... before we start. There was a MB or drumline (forget which) which was trying to show off with the "Drumline" show style of boom, boom, swing the sticks, swing your butt type of style. We watched for a while and the kids took a break and walked around.

As they were walking back our drum instructor was warming up the snare line with the street beat up a side street. Kids saw adults playing with same stick height and rudiments and stopped dead in their tracks. :blink:

Have a thumb issue of all stupid things. Need to drop in on the doc down the street and see if he'll have a look. With work, cuts, scrapes, things just get infected. :huh:

Have next week off, will try and get some things down then especially. This stupid left thumb issue might be messing with me more than I realize right now.

good drugs for the thumb?

Epsom Salts and some antibiotics. It's doing a lot better, the Epsom Salts really helped. I know my Grandma swore by tghem to help keep her feet healed up, I can see why now.

Found it kinda ironic the one fellow on the brass forum thought I wasn't from the G Bugle age when I mentioned I use my 4th valve on my Euphonium more than you'd think.

I think I scared him when I told him I played for 4 years on a piston rotor, which predated his 2 valve experience. You can do without the 2 extra valves, but it's sometimes having the right tool for the right place, and a Piston rotor ain't for concert band or Brass Quintet. It ain't good for much other than noisemaking.

Speaking of which, I need to find a Piston Slide Bari. I've been wanting to do a solo for DCA I and E and I think I could play one on one of those. Have to see if someone's got one for sale or something. Ever since I saw Danny Fitz win I and E with a P/S French Horn, I've wanted to have a go at it for the sheer fun of it.