The history of the Westshoremen

how's the thumb?

What Jeff said.... blink.gif (OK, asked)

Few years back I was at the Winchester, VA Apple Blossom Parade which has a ton of MBs from the VA/DC/MD area. Parade is so big we usually have an hour or two or... before we start. There was a MB or drumline (forget which) which was trying to show off with the "Drumline" show style of boom, boom, swing the sticks, swing your butt type of style. We watched for a while and the kids took a break and walked around.

As they were walking back our drum instructor was warming up the snare line with the street beat up a side street. Kids saw adults playing with same stick height and rudiments and stopped dead in their tracks. :blink:

The band I teach used to do that parade every four years. It was so hot the last time, some of the kids, including my daughter, needed the medical assistance tent at the end.

I arranged "Crown Imperial" for the band to play in the parade, esp the reviewing stand...pretty much the 27th version.

The band I teach used to do that parade every four years. It was so hot the last time, some of the kids, including my daughter, needed the medical assistance tent at the end.

Last one I made was especially brutal. We were near one of the VA Military Schools and couple of HS bands that prided itself on being in full uniform when ever in the public eye. Even if the "public eye" was other parade marchers. In the two hours before our area started marching we saw couple of kids get told to sit down or start striping the uni. STILL remember the line backer sized Military student who was told to sit down. He didn't hear so he started walking to the person who was talking to him. More he walked the more he leaned to the side. Took two people to keep him from kind of upright until he could get to shade.

We usually march that bugger full uni unless the weather report tells up otherwise. That year was the summer uni of golf shirts, shorts, and ball caps. As we watched the youngsters go down someone said "Well we may be old, but we got smart in our old age. Bleep pride, worry about health."

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I arranged "Crown Imperial" for the band to play in the parade, esp the reviewing stand...pretty much the 27th version.

complete with the singles at the end?

and of course, the stick visual?

My old HS used to do that Apple Blossom parade in the early/mid 70's but before I got on board. They used to do that one and went to New Orleans in period to compete for Mardi gras but then gave that up. The Mardi Gras parades were evidently strange- you actually did a mini field show on the street with drill and 2-3 numbers for the competition.

The only claim to Fame in that regard was winning the Tall Cedars of Lebanon parade when I was there. Speaking of Crown Imperial, we used Fanfare and Allegro for parades....

Another interesting parade in that period was in NYC, the Salute to Israel parade, and I think NJA peeps judged that- a VERY strange parade. I know our band looked at competing in it.

You were required to have an Israeli flag in the color guard with the US flag, and had to have an Israeli themed piece as part of your parade repertoire IIRC. Now, the crazy thing was this--

Instead of the normal parade judging area, they had several 'semi-incognito judges', and I know they were real band/corps judges-- scattered throughout the parade route to watch and listen so that you didn't sluff off the parade and save it all for the judging area. I personally thought it was a great concept.

The one band I ran the Summer program for many years ago has special summer weight uniforms that were really attractive, looked like real unis and were light for the kids so we didn't kill them at all the local Fair parades, Fair concerts, etc.

What was crazy was that the parade and fair hosts were so daggone desperate for bands to perform in parade and in concerts they paid so well I actually MADE money for the band beyond what I was paid, which was a very fair amount for what I did at the time and I had a LOT of fun doing it.

The problem is the Director lingered on beyond when it was insinuated he'd retire, I got the offer at Harrisburg HS (If anyone there would have been TRUTHFUL about Poteat, I'd have turned it down), I felt I couldn't live with my Parents out of fairness for 2-3 more years hoping the guy would finally step down, the rest- history of the bizarre.

Even though to Westshoremen, Parades create a vacuum with the mouth, I managed some good placements and won some real money for the bands where I ran the parade gigs. Heck, the only year Harrisburg HS won the Harrisburg Holiday and Harrisburg St. Patrick's Day parades were when I ran that program about 25 years ago. :satisfied:

:sad: And to think the Harrisburg School District only got worse.....

Dug up some DVD gems I forgot I had. Forgot I had 'em cuz I never even looked at 'em the whole way. :doh:

Westshore at 1985 ICA Championships - aka Erie Monsoon Festival. It's on computer only video format so no DVD playing unless your DVD player handles PC format video. Have to check on the file extension on the CD. Anyone have software to convert this puppy? Got a new PC and doubt if it came pre-loaded. Also have a 1985 ICA show in same format but WSM not there.

Also 1990(?) at Columbia, PA in regular (TV) DVD format. Thought this was a audio CD and had problems playing on the stereo so I threw it on the pile and forgot about it. While back thought maybe it was mpeg formatted and put it in the PC. Holy ####!!!! this here coaster thingee got thems movin' type pictures. :w00t: Then second shock was seeing Hairbear in the pit (think we talked about this).

So where the HADES is Hoover on his stuff?!?!?!?!?!?!???????

Edited by JimF-LowBari

My old HS used to do that Apple Blossom parade in the early/mid 70's but before I got on board. They used to do that one and went to New Orleans in period to compete for Mardi gras but then gave that up. The Mardi Gras parades were evidently strange- you actually did a mini field show on the street with drill and 2-3 numbers for the competition.

The only claim to Fame in that regard was winning the Tall Cedars of Lebanon parade when I was there. Speaking of Crown Imperial, we used Fanfare and Allegro for parades....

Another interesting parade in that period was in NYC, the Salute to Israel parade, and I think NJA peeps judged that- a VERY strange parade. I know our band looked at competing in it.

You were required to have an Israeli flag in the color guard with the US flag, and had to have an Israeli themed piece as part of your parade repertoire IIRC. Now, the crazy thing was this--

Instead of the normal parade judging area, they had several 'semi-incognito judges', and I know they were real band/corps judges-- scattered throughout the parade route to watch and listen so that you didn't sluff off the parade and save it all for the judging area. I personally thought it was a great concept.

The one band I ran the Summer program for many years ago has special summer weight uniforms that were really attractive, looked like real unis and were light for the kids so we didn't kill them at all the local Fair parades, Fair concerts, etc.

What was crazy was that the parade and fair hosts were so daggone desperate for bands to perform in parade and in concerts they paid so well I actually MADE money for the band beyond what I was paid, which was a very fair amount for what I did at the time and I had a LOT of fun doing it.

The problem is the Director lingered on beyond when it was insinuated he'd retire, I got the offer at Harrisburg HS (If anyone there would have been TRUTHFUL about Poteat, I'd have turned it down), I felt I couldn't live with my Parents out of fairness for 2-3 more years hoping the guy would finally step down, the rest- history of the bizarre.

Even though to Westshoremen, Parades create a vacuum with the mouth, I managed some good placements and won some real money for the bands where I ran the parade gigs. Heck, the only year Harrisburg HS won the Harrisburg Holiday and Harrisburg St. Patrick's Day parades were when I ran that program about 25 years ago. :satisfied:

true Poteat story.

Right after Harrisburg canned him, he came into the old CellularOne store at the East Mall when I ran it. He was ranting and raving that his phone was turned off for non payment, he needed it back on, didn't we know who he was.....so I looked him dead in the eye and said "yes, you're the guy all over the new for getting fired. But without $300, I can't turn the phone back on".

Oh he didn't like that

Dug up some DVD gems I forgot I had. Forgot I had 'em cuz I never even looked at 'em the whole way. :doh:

Westshore at 1985 ICA Championships - aka Erie Monsoon Festival. It's on computer only video format so no DVD playing unless your DVD player handles PC format video. Have to check on the file extension on the CD. Anyone have software to convert this puppy? Got a new PC and doubt if it came pre-loaded. Also have a 1985 ICA show in same format but WSM not there.

Also 1990(?) at Columbia, PA in regular (TV) DVD format. Thought this was a audio CD and had problems playing on the stereo so I threw it on the pile and forgot about it. While back thought maybe it was mpeg formatted and put it in the PC. Holy ####!!!! this here coaster thingee got thems movin' type pictures. :w00t: Then second shock was seeing Hairbear in the pit (think we talked about this).

he's in the vbook call him.

ahhhh 90 Columbia.....highest score in DCA that night. 4th the next week at finals. almost killed the corps.

I figure in the 99 years it's taking to get through 82, I can start that year in 2145

I joined Westshoremen in 1991. I was in Steel City for the 1990 season.

ahhhh 90 Columbia.....highest score in DCA that night. 4th the next week at finals.

To this day, that one-week dropoff makes no sense at all to me.

I can understand first to 2nd... but all the way to 4th? Crazy.