The history of the Westshoremen

I joined Westshoremen in 1991. I was in Steel City for the 1990 season.

Just looked at the DVD case and Steel City was also at 1990 Columbia. But might be confused with 1996 Westshore at DCA vid which is on the Alumni DVD from 2004.

Darn.... might have to watch again sometime. :tongue:

I joined Westshoremen in 1991. I was in Steel City for the 1990 season.

I went to Columbia as a spectator in 1991. My guess is that might be why you're confused, Jim? HB would have been there with Westshore at that time. I've never been quite the same since that night. Will explain in person if ever asked. Tough time, tough deal. :satisfied:

I went to Columbia as a spectator in 1991. My guess is that might be why you're confused, Jim? HB would have been there with Westshore at that time. I've never been quite the same since that night. Will explain in person if ever asked. Tough time, tough deal. :satisfied:

No real confusion, just can't remember which show Hair and I talked about earlier. We met for the first time at one of the PA Hall of Fame breakfasts around 2004/2005. Some time later I'm watching the vids and it's "Hey wait a minute.....". :blink:

Didn't see any corps 1993-2003 and only found out WSM won DCA because the voice over on the cassettes said "DCA Champions... Westshoremen". And no disrespect to the "Brothers" but only remember Sandy from the Steel City pit. And didn't find out his name and meet him until I came back in 2004.

Weird day, went to my first real Hanover practice in about a year and now they can't find a uniform for me. Still have the bibs because when I returned my stuff earlyin the year I stupidly brought back dress pants and not the bibs. :doh: Well not so stupid as I got the pants back a few months ago and now "just" need the top. Oh well, won't be ready to perform until 2013 anyway as it'll take my 55 year old mind time to rememorize the old stuff and learn the new.

Did see Dave Fisher and Rick Adams in the Bari line and Ron Church in the snares so kinda like a WSM reunion. And Bob Zarfoss to complete the set. :cool:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

To this day, that one-week dropoff makes no sense at all to me.

I can understand first to 2nd... but all the way to 4th? Crazy.

don't even get me started.

I mean we lost one show in drums all year. that weekend...4th in percussion.

look at the recap...in ex where you went on is where you placed.

the biggest blown call in DCA. No offense Bush, but having a tear at finals and getting a 19.9 in drums is a joke

don't even get me started.

I mean we lost one show in drums all year. that weekend...4th in percussion.

look at the recap...in ex where you went on is where you placed.

the biggest blown call in DCA. No offense Bush, but having a tear at finals and getting a 19.9 in drums is a joke

On that tangent, It's my opinion Madison won it's last Championship because they got lucky in that random draw and got to go on last. It got them the .2 they needed. Note that little experiment wasn't repeated. That whole Concerto for Guitar and Jazz orcestra, whatever it was wasn't championship material as compared to several other corps that year. Now if you judge that show on Malageuna alone, you may have a case, but last I knew you evaluate the work as a whole, not the closer or the best part. Beating that SCV Phantom program.... very questionable.

Very easy and very safe to mail in the decisions on initial placement. Also a very weak thing to do so. I think over the years there's been some people guilty of it, yes. Also a temptation in the back of some people's minds- last corps on-- may as well throw out da big numba. I know there's a guy I've been spatting with on YouTube about that issue where Reading was concerned this year. In that case, it WAS deserved.

On that tangent, It's my opinion Madison won it's last Championship because they got lucky in that random draw and got to go on last. It got them the .2 they needed. Note that little experiment wasn't repeated. That whole Concerto for Guitar and Jazz orcestra, whatever it was wasn't championship material as compared to several other corps that year. Now if you judge that show on Malageuna alone, you may have a case, but last I knew you evaluate the work as a whole, not the closer or the best part. Beating that SCV Phantom program.... very questionable.

Very easy and very safe to mail in the decisions on initial placement. Also a very weak thing to do so. I think over the years there's been some people guilty of it, yes. Also a temptation in the back of some people's minds- last corps on-- may as well throw out da big numba. I know there's a guy I've been spatting with on YouTube about that issue where Reading was concerned this year. In that case, it WAS deserved.

well...SCV had dirt finals night they didn;t have the rest of the year, and Madison pulled a 96 Phantom or 08 Phantom....peaked on the right night. CD/DVD doesnt do 88 Madison justice.

as for 90...we traded wins with Cabs and Empire a few times. Bush wasn't really in the conversation all summer. Drumline was, well, our drumline, and we beat everyone at Scranton. We went on right after Empire at Columbia, so no real reason to inflate things, and we had the highest score in DCA after that weekend.

fast forward a week....pretty good prelims run, made one minor tweak the day of finals, and 4th both days. I've been to some DCA finals where the final decision wasn't popular....like, oh, LOL, 96....but the reaction of the crowd in 90, as well as everyone in the corps and even the DM's at retreat said it all.

I have a copy of both execution tapes. Let me tell you, that judge STILL hears about it to this day whenever anyone sees him. I'm more good natured about now, but that night almost killed the corps.

I can tell you more about that around 2025 when we're finally there

Gah, but that opener!!!!!!!! I repeat about Madison's opener that year.... GAAAAAAAH! It's everything in a nutshell people gripe about when they gripe about bad in DCI. I can point out every part that's gratuitously thrown in there to jack up the horn analysis number in that opener, it's so stinkin' obvious.

Gah, but that opener!!!!!!!! I repeat about Madison's opener that year.... GAAAAAAAH! It's everything in a nutshell people gripe about when they gripe about bad in DCI. I can point out every part that's gratuitously thrown in there to jack up the horn analysis number in that opener, it's so stinkin' obvious.

but live it was clean as balls.

1982................. :ph34r: