The history of the Westshoremen

Need a copy of that. Remember the recording going on but can't remember if 78 or 79.

PS - Burning 1985 WSM at ICA Championships DVD for some folks, wanna trade?

PPSS - Dave Fisher already hit me up for 2013 Alumni.... said no but sure that's not the end of the arm twisting....

Jim....let me talk to Dad...gotta find where the #### albums are. he has a treasure trove of stuff.

I remember it because the Rebs were launching their comeback and they were on it

Have the Naval Acadey on vinyl somewehere. Studio recording that IIRC just sounds bland like any other studio recording of a corps. Maybe after I retire I'll get around to copying my vinyl to CDs. By then I probably won't be able to buy the needles.... :shutup:/>/>

Ironically, I just saw some turntable that you can use to convert your vinyl to your iPod...I pretty much have everything I want that I had on vinyl on CD (except some of the drum corps stuff) so that device would be a waste for me....but if you're interested they are on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond over in Colonial Park....

I remember it because the Rebs were launching their comeback and they were on it

Yeah...

Side One:

US Naval Academy

The Westshoremen

The Buccaneers

Side Two:

US Air Force Academy

The Yankee Rebels

The Chocolatiers

Ironically, I just saw some turntable that you can use to convert your vinyl to your iPod...I pretty much have everything I want that I had on vinyl on CD (except some of the drum corps stuff) so that device would be a waste for me....but if you're interested they are on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond over in Colonial Park....

how much? Dad has a ton of old stuff

how much? Dad has a ton of old stuff

Didn't look, but I think it's on a "sale" rack...

Sounds like what I've seen for turntables to PC as probably the same file format. That would make more sense as you can cram more music on a CD. Bought this one cuz our old stereo (bought at BJs for heavens sake) doesn't handle mp3. But thinking of it, I'd be buying blank CDs out the yingee by the time I'd be done. Cheaper to buy a new stereo and something that converts to mp3 but would also want software to soften the background (hiss, pop, crack, etc) from the old records.

How many years to retirement?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Sounds like what I've seen for turntables to PC as probably the same file format. That would make more sense as you can cram more music on a CD. Bought this one cuz our old stereo (bought at BJs for heavens sake) doesn't handle mp3. But thinking of it, I'd be buying blank CDs out the yingee by the time I'd be done. Cheaper to buy a new stereo and something that converts to mp3 but would also want software to soften the background (hiss, pop, crack, etc) from the old records.

How many years to retirement?

That said...Mp3 is really NOT the quality you want to originally convert something to...Mp3 is a very "lossy" format! If I were transferring my vinyl to digital, I'd go with something like .flac or something equivalent. Once I had a "solid lossless file" if I were to put them on my iPod or cram them onto something else, THEN I'd convert to Mp3. I got into an argument with the guy that sells old DCA recordings for selling me some really crappy sounding stuff, he said that he stores things on Mp3... I told him that I could tell! :thumbdown:

That said...Mp3 is really NOT the quality you want to originally convert something to...Mp3 is a very "lossy" format! If I were transferring my vinyl to digital, I'd go with something like .flac or something equivalent. Once I had a "solid lossless file" if I were to put them on my iPod or cram them onto something else, THEN I'd convert to Mp3. I got into an argument with the guy that sells old DCA recordings for selling me some really crappy sounding stuff, he said that he stores things on Mp3... I told him that I could tell! :thumbdown:/>

Another reason I'm holding off as hopefully better formats will come out....

Other reason is if I get all the crap I need now it might be obsolete by the time I use it. LOL - I won one of the early iPods years ago. By the time I had a PC that could load music in better than turtle speed the flippin' iPod made a good paperweight. Hell just converted a 1986 VHS tape to DVD as a cheapie Christmass present.

I don't 'think' the formats will change at this point...what's on your iPod is about the best for that medium (I forget their "term" for it, but it's a little better than a true original Mp3)...

I'm not talking listening format, though, I'm talking where to convert your original stuff (i.e. on vinyl) into originally (i.e. for archival storage)

... If you take the time to convert some vinyl, I'd probably work it onto a "CD" format first, then convert to my iPod from there...meaning...why waste the time JUST converting for your iPod..if something eventually comes out that is better, then you'll have to get the vinyl out again, and re-convert..where as if you put it directly onto the best format you have, and onto a CD, it's easier to convert from THAT digital format, AND you don't have to suffer with the album again. But as I said earlier, a LOT of what I've had on album was purchased on CD when that first came out, so I really don't need to convert...and in terms of my old drum corps albums...they are so beat up and scratchy, I wouldn't DREAM of converting any of them...

Just my 2¢ as a collector...