The history of the Westshoremen

Know I used to get a few hairy eyeballs when I'd buy pins from the corps we were competing against in the 70s. Think it was Bucknell when someone (forget who) bounced me about standing at another corps souvie table in uniform. "But we're trying to beat them". "Yeah, and I collect pins and this is the only time I can buy 'em, so what?". Kicker was standing at retreat whit a pin or two attached to my t-shirt under the uniform top. Just had to made sure they were far enough away from each other that they didn't clang together when we marched. :tongue:/>

Looking at the collection now I can almost pick out which pins those were and how PO'ed I'd be if I missed getting them.

I have a bunch of patches...in fact I was in my "corps box" the other day and I have a Cabs, Chicago Connection, Crossmen, a few Westshore, a Bucs pin, My Bucs patch ended up on my jacket. I had a Sun pin somewhere, and a few other things, I know I had a Sky patch too...but those may have gotten tossed when I moved years back, haven't seen them in ages...

But people don't get the "I collect stuff" thing and go all "why are you buying from THEM?!?!"

I have a bunch of patches...in fact I was in my "corps box" the other day and I have a Cabs, Chicago Connection, Crossmen, a few Westshore, a Bucs pin, My Bucs patch ended up on my jacket. I had a Sun pin somewhere, and a few other things, I know I had a Sky patch too...but those may have gotten tossed when I moved years back, haven't seen them in ages...

But people don't get the "I collect stuff" thing and go all "why are you buying from THEM?!?!"

LOL - patches came later or when I could buy them and run them back to Bennys truck. Have mine hanging on some towels on the wall and the patches in a cheap azzed plastic picture frame. If I look at them I think I can remember when I bought them but got some old ones off of eBay (WSM-BS and Lancers - LOL) so not sure 100%.

LOL - think my mom bought the Chocolatier pin AND patch at 1979 DCA at Hershey. She knew I wouldn't be able to get them and it was a nice surprise. :worthy:/>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL - patches came later or when I could buy them and run them back to Bennys truck. Have mine hanging on some towels on the wall and the patches in a cheap azzed plastic picture frame. If I look at them I think I can remember when I bought them but got some old ones off of eBay (WSM-BS and Lancers - LOL) so not sure 100%.

LOL - think my mom bought the Chocolatier pin AND patch at 1979 DCA at Hershey. She knew I wouldn't be able to get them and it was a nice surprise. :worthy:/>/>

Whoops...yeah I have those too! hahaa! I HAD a rather LARGE Chocolatiers patch (the kind that could go on the back of a jacket) but I think that MAY have been with the other stuff that got inadvertantly tossed...there was also a Crossmen patch in the box.

I have some stuff (plus the official corps photos) that I could frame and stick on a wall, but I don't have too much room down in my family room...maybe one of these daze... :blink:

I have some interesting pins myself. Lot of old school stuff from corps still extant and gone.

North Star, Two-Seven, Les Ambassadeurs, Les Chats... hmm, Hurcs, Cabs, Westshore, Reading, Blue Stars, I know I hacve a lot more than those hiding somewhere at home in a tupperware container.

Need to dig those up and make a badge hat. Find a cheap fishing hat and stick some on for a good laugh at the DCA shows.

I have some interesting pins myself. Lot of old school stuff from corps still extant and gone.

North Star, Two-Seven, Les Ambassadeurs, Les Chats... hmm, Hurcs, Cabs, Westshore, Reading, Blue Stars, I know I hacve a lot more than those hiding somewhere at home in a tupperware container.

Need to dig those up and make a badge hat. Find a cheap fishing hat and stick some on for a good laugh at the DCA shows.

I just tossed a bunch of old DCI shirts... I had those in a box at my father's house, and after he passed away, I brought them here, but when I went through the box, I guess at one point he had water in the basement, and they ended up really cruddy/moldy/etc. But I had Cavies, Blue Stars, Bridgemen, Crossmen, SCV...as well as some old Westshore and Bucs shirts... I think there was a few Chocolatiers shirts in there as well. (not to mention some concert t-shirts) None of them fit...and of course the Mrs. was going "why you keeping those" I still have the top half of the box that DIDN'T get damaged...

Yep....Funny thing about all those years was the whole "I hate _______ " stuff. Not so much because people were hating on us, but over the years except for a few different reasons the hate of other corps that people had... Yeah, once we were on the field and competing it was "all for us none for you", but once we got off the field, I was a fan again... I always loved Sun, I a;ways loved watching Sky, the Canadian corps were fun to watch, I liked them before that, but in 84 I became a huge Bush fan! Being in the pit we were always at the field long before we had to go on schlepping the gear, and it seemed that I got to watch them just about every dang show...and heck, I got to know their corps director because he played in THEIR pit! :tongue:/> (Jay, if I remember correctly) But even though I wasn't a Cab's fan or a Hurcs fan, I always seemed to know SOMEONE In those corps? Heck, even in the years I marched Westshore, I was friends with a bunch of people in Reading...heck Skee was my high school drum instructor, so...

But 79 we got the infamous letter from Hurcs dis-inviting us from their show, so yeah, we had a reason to hate on them for a while, (well and how they stole 1981 finals....but that's a grumble for another day)(and I think I told Fran the story when I said "Yeah, Sun got screwed" at a Bucs practice...whoops) But a few years later, whatever....

a lot of the Bucs hate came down through the generations. Westshore never beat Bucs until 78. To a lot of people, that grudge just never went away, plus you had the people that went to Bucs after 72, and that added to it.

I never hd any hatred of them. Then again, I never lost to them either :tongue:/> . hell I was spit on by members of a competitor, and I overlooked that enough to teach there 5 years later LOL.

a lot of the Bucs hate came down through the generations. Westshore never beat Bucs until 78. To a lot of people, that grudge just never went away, plus you had the people that went to Bucs after 72, and that added to it.

I never hd any hatred of them. Then again, I never lost to them either :tongue:/>/> . hell I was spit on by members of a competitor, and I overlooked that enough to teach there 5 years later LOL.

Well I guess the 84 contingency kept up the tradition :thumbup:

Well I guess the 84 contingency kept up the tradition :thumbup:/>

72, 84, 98.

I am hoping that if say the alumni corps ever folded that if people went to Bucs alumni, it wouldn't happen again.

I know from growing up around the corps in the 70's and 80's, there was serious long time hatred for Bucs. I don't know all of the reasons why, my guess is most likely competitive. Then again, it's also my take from talking to people who were with both corps during that era that Bucs went after it a lot more, and thus had success

72, 84, 98.

I am hoping that if say the alumni corps ever folded that if people went to Bucs alumni, it wouldn't happen again.

I know from growing up around the corps in the 70's and 80's, there was serious long time hatred for Bucs. I don't know all of the reasons why, my guess is most likely competitive. Then again, it's also my take from talking to people who were with both corps during that era that Bucs went after it a lot more, and thus had success

My problem with "my" departure situation was that the people that were nasty about it to us WEREN'T around for the '72 or '78 situations.... I remember Rickie Lee had a bit of a problem "adapting" because he was around for the 1978 season, and experienced some different feelings about it than the others that went did (although Rook was there for 78, but never heard him have any mixed feelings) Craig and I joined in 1979, and the rest were there THAT year or not too far back...Santoro was 82 & 83, I think?

But as I said...once I got on the field, I was whomever I marched with..once off, I wanted to meet people and make friends :thumbup: I never bought into the whole "I hate you" attitude...and even though in 84 we did the whole "Cab-Busters" thing at Bucs for the second half of the season, I STILL had some friends that marched Hawthorne, that if I saw them at a show, I'd shoot the ####, have a drink, or whatever...(and I didn't care if anyone didn't like that fact that I was talking to someone in a white satin uni!)

Just tossed an anecdote from 1978 over in the "picture" thread re: when I met the Rochester Crusaders, and while I was typing that story, thought that I probably got part of my "non hater" attitude from the year I spent with Hershey, and didn't jump into the whole serious competitive-ness of things until the NEXT season, and just had a better attitude all over. (i.e. I was more or less a fan first, THEN a participant)

I remember watching a lot of corps the first few years I marched...