The history of the Westshoremen

my only regret in 96 is the early season bassline wasn't what ended up being the final bassline. had that top 4 stayed in place...jesus.

it would have been sicker than Bush 93

my only regret in 96 is the early season bassline wasn't what ended up being the final bassline. had that top 4 stayed in place...jesus.

it would have been sicker than Bush 93

Yeah, over the years I've had those kinds of lines as well...most of the time, it works out, but other times not so much..about the only strong lines I was in that started and finished great was 80's timp line, and 83's tenor line. 85's tenor line started strong, changed quickly for the worse for the early part of the season, but ended decent because of a late season addition...

Yeah, over the years I've had those kinds of lines as well...most of the time, it works out, but other times not so much..about the only strong lines I was in that started and finished great was 80's timp line, and 83's tenor line. 85's tenor line started strong, changed quickly for the worse for the early part of the season, but ended decent because of a late season addition...

Don't get me wrong...96 was ###### good. But if that top 4 had been in place, the stuff written for us would have been truly insane. You had 4 legitimate #1's, 3 with DCI experience and me, and Dan knew my back wasn't ready for a bigger drum again.

What drums were you using? I thought everything was lighter at that point...heck the Premiers we used in Reading were pretty light...I had Snook's drum on (#6) once and it wasn't too bad....(and they used snare straps a'la early Bone's)(and we had 3 Ex-Bones in that bass line as well)

What drums were you using? I thought everything was lighter at that point...heck the Premiers we used in Reading were pretty light...I had Snook's drum on (#6) once and it wasn't too bad....(and they used snare straps a'la early Bone's)(and we had 3 Ex-Bones in that bass line as well)

18, 20, 22, 26, 30, 34.

Seriously even with the 18, I bathed in Ben Gay every week. due to some issues from carring the 30 in 89, plus some sports related stuff, and my back was a mess

18, 20, 22, 26, 30, 34.

Seriously even with the 18, I bathed in Ben Gay every week. due to some issues from carring the 30 in 89, plus some sports related stuff, and my back was a mess

Not overly bad...what brand? I remember Pearls were pretty darn heavy, as were the Slingerlands (or Ludwigs...those were made out of solid oak I'd be willing to bet) But those Premiers weren't too bad.

Not overly bad...what brand? I remember Pearls were pretty darn heavy, as were the Slingerlands (or Ludwigs...those were made out of solid oak I'd be willing to bet) But those Premiers weren't too bad.

Stingray. Not overly heavy, at least compared to earlier Stingray models. But by 96, tempos and step sizes were up.

Stingray. Not overly heavy, at least compared to earlier Stingray models. But by 96, tempos and step sizes were up.

Oh, ok..no experience with their BD's...at North Hagerstown we kept the old "Navy Academy" Ludwigs that they had and recovered them (those drums were freaking HEAVY! Even the snares)

Otherwise, I hated those drums! IIRC we imploded two snares, and cracked a few individual tenor drums (In all I think we killed a whole set) The only redeeming quality about them was the lugs (I think they were the old North drum lugs) strong as heck! (but we pulled a few through snare walls)

DO they even make those anymore?

My only real experience with Ludwig was when I taught at Northern Lebanon. They were 15's, and heavy, but took a beating

My only real experience with Ludwig was when I taught at Northern Lebanon. They were 15's, and heavy, but took a beating

No doubt! We had them when I was in high school, and I didn't think they were too bad...but the drums that North High had that used to belong to the Navy were MONSTERS! The snares were almost as heavy as my 29" timpani from 1979! :blink:

But they DID take a beating!

The Slingerlands we had at Shore were pretty decent as well, the Pearl toms had a design flaw with lug placement, and we had to get rods that had more thread than what they supplied..but they weren't monsters to carry like the old Slingerland cutaways! The snares were 15's, but we ended up borrowing Cadets 14's and the snareline was THRILLED that they were lighter!