The history of the Westshoremen

now that it's 17 years later, I can rat stuff out. We had a deal with Attack heads, but they wouldn't work on the 18 and 20 inch basses, so we used the heads from Remo. We ditched all of the Stingray claws and went with the Premiers....helped keep from pulling.

snares...well, I know most of them were triple hooped. It was the only way to get a deeper sound

now that it's 17 years later, I can rat stuff out. We had a deal with Attack heads, but they wouldn't work on the 18 and 20 inch basses, so we used the heads from Remo. We ditched all of the Stingray claws and went with the Premiers....helped keep from pulling.

snares...well, I know most of them were triple hooped. It was the only way to get a deeper sound

Heck...at Bucs we used Ludwig heads on the bass drums, but got Premier stickers! :tongue: (In fact I still have one of the Ludwig stickers stuck to my old Coleman cooler to this day! :thumbup: )

With the old Slingerland toms...we used to all keep a pocket full of tension rods...those things used to POP from the tension...I have a few somewhere in a box that are stretched out! We were trying to get the 12,14,16's to sound like 10,12, 14's! Not easy...but we tried!

Heck...at Bucs we used Ludwig heads on the bass drums, but got Premier stickers! tongue.gif (In fact I still have one of the Ludwig stickers stuck to my old Coleman cooler to this day! thumbup.gif )

With the old Slingerland toms...we used to all keep a pocket full of tension rods...those things used to POP from the tension...I have a few somewhere in a box that are stretched out! We were trying to get the 12,14,16's to sound like 10,12, 14's! Not easy...but we tried!

in 90 when we got the first of the new Stingray snares, we popped a few rods. Well as a joke during a parade, the snares added clicks on the rims....sounded like rods popping. Dan kept freaking out. it ended up with those clicks being a permanent part of the beat to this day

in 90 when we got the first of the new Stingray snares, we popped a few rods. Well as a joke during a parade, the snares added clicks on the rims....sounded like rods popping. Dan kept freaking out. it ended up with those clicks being a permanent part of the beat to this day

Good stuff! :thumbup:

Over the years I played, I've discovered that Slingerland and Ludwig had the best hardware from a lug standpoint, and Pearl and Premier had nice light shells! (that held up and sounded decent) (from a marching standpoint...I think Pearls drum sets are crap)

I see stuff now, and can't believe the way the technology has grown....but by the same token, I think the Kevlar heads sound like crap in comparison...yeah, they apparently are sturdier, but the sound is just....ugh, :shutup: I don't like it, no tone whatsoever!

you can get kevlar to sound less jamblockey, but you have to work at it. that was us in 95 and 96

The Pearl heads we used in 83 were pretty nice sounding...but I just remember using the Kevlar at North Hagerstown, and HATING them! I also remember hearing what they sounded like on tenors, and REALLY hating them!

I would NEVER consider kevlar for tenors

I would NEVER consider kevlar for tenors

Nah..not after I heard what they sounded like...but strangely enough I've seen line using them...

I didn't like pinstripes on them either...the Ludwig heads were great, but they would just all of a sudden break..Robbie used to get so pizzed at me when he'd hear a CRACK!!! He'd be like "dude those head don't grow on trees!"

Speaking of heads... I used to love the sound of the Fiberskyn II's that Sun used to use on their bass drums, I always thought that was a great sound...

Nah..not after I heard what they sounded like...but strangely enough I've seen line using them...

I didn't like pinstripes on them either...the Ludwig heads were great, but they would just all of a sudden break..Robbie used to get so pizzed at me when he'd hear a CRACK!!! He'd be like "dude those head don't grow on trees!"

Speaking of heads... I used to love the sound of the Fiberskyn II's that Sun used to use on their bass drums, I always thought that was a great sound...

Remo pinstripes aren't bad. a lot of R&D goes into heads now. One of our staffers at Mechanicsburg knew the R&D guy at Remo, and we were a guinea pig for all kinds of stuff, especially for basses.

(we need a puking emoticon) spitting.gif <----there hows that one (I can't drink donestic commercial beer anymore)

Ben, Does this help?

puke.gif

• Like 1