The history of the Westshoremen

Couldn't be any worse than the band show I went to around 1981 somewhere in Lancaster County. IUP and UMass bands were there so I went to see the people I knew from IUP.

UMass is getting ready to come out to do their exhibition and George Parks is walking across the field to get to the stands.

Some guy a few rows in front of me yells "Hey George... where's yer mace....".......

Inappropriate as Hades but you could tell who the corps people were as they were trying not to laugh. Meanwhile the band mother next to is muttering something like "Who's George..." and "a mace".

UMass is playing in Happy Valley this year, (and they're bringing the band) I told Fred Pye to run by my spot and bring Hanuum with him. Fred was always a hoot!

yeah I saw that too. hmmm, should I heckle...

I got a good one: "GO RICKIE LEE!"

Edited by Jaminbenb

UMass is playing in Happy Valley this year, (and they're bringing the band) I told Fred Pye to run by my spot and bring Hanuum with him. Fred was always a hoot!

I would never reveal Superman's alter ego

Was chatting with Ralph Hardimon on FB earlier...he said he remembers writing the parts to No More Blues for us in 83! He thought we won that year... had to give him the low-down! :thumbdown:

Didn't know he was working with the Blue Knights!

I think WCU does the Alumni band thing every year but I'm always on the other end of the world that day, and I'm unsure how much I want to do that one. If they get the Mifflin County one back, they usually do it on a Friday night and I can nab a personal day and do that one.

IUP hosts the ToB Chapter 11 Championships every year, and I was told it's been a valuable recruiting tool for their program.

Bloomsburg did Chapter 4. Nice stadium, very clean and new.

I wish WCU would get on board more in one way or another, but it seems they're tied into other circuits more.

They USED to have a local band in Bainbridge (PA) that my former band director ran... haven't heard much of that...up where Lisa's from they have a little town band called "Potchies Band" that's mostly old guys that used to be in their various college and military bands...my father in law was in that for a while years back (he was a baritone in the Army band when he was in) Those guys still do the little parades on Memorial Day and all that...

I know Brian T was trying to get something started, but never seemed to get anything off the ground. If there was a local thing, I'd probably be tempted...The Reading Alumni is just a bit too far to commit to for the amount of "dedication" I'd like to have...(and one time per year for concert season isn't really desireable)

I just think I'll have a little more access to the Blue Band now that our friends daughter is the featured twirler...Which is cool...

Williamstown, PA had some kind of local VFW band Mike Stahl (Racine Scouts and W-shore) played in as a kid, I think the "Washington Band", something like that, don't know if they're still around. Sat in with them for a rehearsal about 30 years ago, the band had some serious skill.

Was chatting with Ralph Hardimon on FB earlier...he said he remembers writing the parts to No More Blues for us in 83! He thought we won that year... had to give him the low-down! :thumbdown:

Didn't know he was working with the Blue Knights!

Love his writing

I think WCU does the Alumni band thing every year but I'm always on the other end of the world that day, and I'm unsure how much I want to do that one. If they get the Mifflin County one back, they usually do it on a Friday night and I can nab a personal day and do that one.

IUP hosts the ToB Chapter 11 Championships every year, and I was told it's been a valuable recruiting tool for their program.

Bloomsburg did Chapter 4. Nice stadium, very clean and new.

I wish WCU would get on board more in one way or another, but it seems they're tied into other circuits more.

We have done stuff there but with tob, it's school driven. Even for IUP a school is the host. We do it that way to help our members make money

We have done stuff there but with tob, it's school driven. Even for IUP a school is the host. We do it that way to help our members make money

Right- I think it's a good deal for the U's. Show off the campus to several hundred prospective students, some HS gets some $$$. I'd see that was a win-win.

At one time, ToB had a show at Frostburg State that was sponsored by their Phi Mu Alpha chapter to fundraise and also get school awareness up, and I think also so that the Brothers got experience in running a contest and to find out the hard way what was needed. Wish the KKY chapter at WCU would think about something like it, but I think monetary risk is a concern there. I *think* they work concessions at some of the fall band shows to make money, less risk, easy rewards.

Frostburg State did a good job hosting and the facility is fine, it's just that it's on top of one of the Mountains out there more or less and exposed to bad weather. Kind of like PSU, 10 or more degrees colder than places nearby, or snowing while its sunny in October, that kinda thing.