The history of the Westshoremen

thinmking about hitting on 89-97. Have to fill in some memory gaps.

I do know John Stauffer is taking over the alumni percussion section.

• Like 1

Beer Snob update....LOL...

I'm not normally a big fan of "fruit beers"... (cherry wheat and so forth)... but Abita makes two fruit-flavored lagers that are, IMO, outstanding... just got around to trying them a couple of months ago. Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager and Abita Purple Haze Lager. Purple Haze is raspberry-flavored.

The strawberry one, in particular, is great. Very light strawberry flavor... not overly sweet at all... and a clean, dry finish. The Purple Haze is slightly sweeter, but still really good.

Neither one is high in ABV (4.2 percent)... so they are good warm-weather "pounding beers." LOL

I'm still digging my favorite fruit beer...Mad Elf! THAT stuff will knock you on yerazz in a heartbeat if you aren't careful...

Yeah, thinking of getting my thoughts together for 1978.... Don't know why I thought of it after 35 years but things really could have gone bad for the future. Missed a lot being at college but drum line really took off with ex-YRs and Flowers/Colletti but horn line still being taught by HS band directors, etc.... Seemed like lot of tension between the horn and drum lines and a real reversal of when the drum line was the suck point to being the best part of the corps. Throw in a book that was half crap and half showed promise that never came about. Wonder what would have happened if Ray Eyler and company had come in a year early......

Yeah we beat Reading twice but only difference between 77 and 78 was going up a position in Finals (wow we beat Erie).

The Flowers line in 78 was pretty good...it's a shame Colletti couldn't keep the "magic" flowing for 79...except for the tunes that carried over (Granada Smoothie and Impossible Dream) the rest were a bit lame from a writing standpoint except for the snare book... The bass line was better, the tenor line was as good if not better (2 of the 3 were there the year before) the timpani line was competant, and the mallets were primarily the same crew) It just seemed like a snare heavy book for the rest of the tunes, and no overall quality...Eyeler and Pomponio made the horns sound EONS better from 78.

The best we did THAT year was add Rochester...Reading went ballistic so NO one was catching them that year...talk about a HUGE improvement from the year prior!

The best we did THAT year was add Rochester...Reading went ballistic so NO one was catching them that year...talk about a HUGE improvement from the year prior!

LOL last weekend finally started looking at the 50th Anniversary DVD for Reading that I bought years back. Played 79 and 80 DCA Finals and Kris (the real Kris) complained about the quality of the 1979 vid. Told her it was not done professionally and then we started on 1980. Quality was better and halfway thru I heard "Wow... they're good..." My response was "Ahh yeah.... they won those years" (before her time). Then I started pickig out where George Parks mace was during the end of show throws. :wow:

I remember Rochester. so freakin cold people had blankets and big gloves on. Backfield we did the warm up and all you hear was "thump, thump" instead of regular applause.

LOL last weekend finally started looking at the 50th Anniversary DVD for Reading that I bought years back. Played 79 and 80 DCA Finals and Kris (the real Kris) complained about the quality of the 1979 vid. Told her it was not done professionally and then we started on 1980. Quality was better and halfway thru I heard "Wow... they're good..." My response was "Ahh yeah.... they won those years" (before her time). Then I started pickig out where George Parks mace was during the end of show throws. :wow:

I remember Rochester. so freakin cold people had blankets and big gloves on. Backfield we did the warm up and all you hear was "thump, thump" instead of regular applause.

What all footage is on that 50th anniversary DVD? Anything from, 84, 85, or 88?

But yeah....those two years as much as a lot of people didn't want to admit, were off the charts! (I did get chastised for saying that Sun should have WON in 81 at a Bucs practice in 84....oooo that wasn't a pretty response! hahaha!)

Edited by Jaminbenb

What all footage is on that 50th anniversary DVD? Anything from, 84, 85, or 88?

But yeah....those two years as much as a lot of people wanted to admit, were off the charts! (I did get chastised for saying that Sun should have WON in 81 at a Bucs practice in 84....oooo that wasn't a pretty response! hahaha!)

Off the top of my head..... shows on the DVD are a late 60s Prelims show where the video doesn't match the audio. Looks like a home movie camera and audio from ????. Then 1979, 1980, 1981 from pretty good camera for the day. Then.... sorry.... nuttin' until late 90s when Buccs were rebuilding and did an exhibition (did they miss Finals one year). At least some guy with a real familiar voice (who likes beer) says "in exhibition". Then bunch of 2000 decade shows including crapload of 2006 or 2007 (forget which). Only up to watching 1980 so just looked at the contents.

Ummmm... not even sure if I saw any DC in 1981. Was working shift work and Finals in Philly and work paid too little to spring for a hotel or try to kill myself driving. Did see Carlisle 1982 when WSM was kicking butt and 1980 DCA Prelims/Finals (had to take the day off). That was probably it during my shi(f)t work days (4/80-10/82) or all 3 shi(f)ts every 4 weeks. Only had a Sat/Sun weekend once a month and had to spend part of that gearing up to work mindight to 8AM and sleep days. Puuuuuuuke...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

saw many faces at Tommy Beyers funeral today. Both swegers even! Of course Ryuthie, Dickie Adams, the Templins, remaining Toomeys.

Just hated seeing everyone under those circumstances

I'm still digging my favorite fruit beer...Mad Elf! THAT stuff will knock you on yerazz in a heartbeat if you aren't careful...

I am going to try that when it comes out again during the Christmas season.

And I'm going to make sure I'm not driving anywhere after trying it. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Still recouperating at Parents. Feeling much better. Got all the news about Jerry Y. and Tom. Was very sad. Jerry was a hard worker and I always respected his efforts and talent. Back then the way drill was written we'd see a lot of the rifles in front of us doing their thing, and I can remember seeing Jerry on field BITD. Good memories.

More work hours, combined with the health issues and making it though to the concert left me a lot more tired than I let on. My surgeon said my Gall Bladder was likely on its last legs when it came out, and was likely a cause for all the exhaustion. It was evidently so messed up the entire surgical team had a look at it cause it was pretty goofy. It's why I just dropped off of here until I got this all taken care of and recouperated.

All I know is that from when I was laying in the ER over Thanksgiving, all I cared about was being there in April and doing what I needed to do to perform in terms of taking care of myself to make it. I was really feeling a lot of emotion that night that I'd made it, because I was pretty scared when all of this hit. Then i had to get the whole surgery thing dealt with, and was nervous about that. Just wanted to touch base here and then let everyone throw stuff at me when i finally finish that review. I was just too freakin' tired to do it from work and from the whole physical thing. :satisfied:

Glad to hear that you are getting back on your feet, and hope you continue to heal, Dub. I knew you were hurting during the "season" but hung in for yourself and the good of the section. Get back on the horn when you are able and don't stop practicing! :soapbox::bigsmile: