The history of the Westshoremen

Hah...I actually had that playing when I popped over here. Nice stuff.

check out the C2 drum tape...wow!

Well, I don't think we won 90% of the contests we competed in in 1982, and really didn't get the traction at the end that we truly needed.

As for 2014 DCA- extraordinary things happened at Finals. That's the only word I think I can use, and it can be taken as one wants to take it. I have my thoughts about it all, and the only word I can use is "extraordinary" regarding all of those thoughts and whatever direction they go and relate. I do feel some messages were sent as a result, and some of them are not very good ones.

Oh- Jim, as for that 'TIDBIT' thread- they're likely peeved with me to no end that I called them as I saw it, a bunch of apologists for the OSU band program that wants their Director back and trying to spin it so hard they that if I hooked their spin to an electric generator they could power Columbus for a decade. And... power Cleveland permanently.

From my PoV- the Director there may well have tried to stop the crap, but he likely needed to go to the administration and ask for help and support to cover his can if he wanted his job as bad as everyone claims. It strikes me there's an effort for people to fall on their swords and make excuses. It disgusts me. It goes with the job, You run the program, you get the flak, you are responsible. Someone had to pay for it all when it came out. It's not pretty, but that's the way it rolls, for good or ill.

I've never felt the need for hazing. A waste of time and effort. The Freshman stuff I dealt with at LAHS was lame and really... it taught me the stuff was a load of unnecessary bunk. WCU didn't haze. Westshore made us help clean up after the party at the Gap when we were rookies, that was all. Also, Jim, as a Kappa Kappa Psi brother for 30 years and very proud of it, I can tell you this- and the same applied for the Florida A and M situation and their hazing issues:

KK-Psi doesn't condone hazing in any way, shape, or form. If the KK-Psi Brother Tidbitters knew this was going on and condoned it at all or were ringleaders in any of the really fun and exciting 'family building' and 'educational activities' in that 23 page report, I have no respect whatsoever for any of them at all as brothers. Period. It's not what the organization is about at all. I also know the National HQ will convene an investigation on their chapter in regards to this, and there will be heck to pay- as what happened with Florida A and M, even though no one got killed at tidbit. If any Brothers were involved in a serious way- kick 'em out of the frat.

Just my tuppence on that as well. A lot of the 'prankin' that goes on out there needs to come to an end. Last school I was in I heard they duct taped one freshman to a tree, for example, while I wasn't there. The kid was the BD's son. Not smart, not good. Another good one was the fake bomb they pranked the director of a Maryland band a couple of years ago with when they stuck it on his car during a band practice and the fake device ended up in a band room locker where a custodian found said device, of course understandably panicked, bomb squad come in, Band Director ended up fired. The guy was a good guy, very caring, hard working, decent person, shown the door because of an 'innocent' prank played upon him by his students and his not thinking things through with the prop. This activity isn't about this crap. It just needs to stop.

All a load of crap if you ask me, just needed to vent on the subject. Bullying/hazing is an extremely sore spot where I am personally concerned. I found this little link I stumbled on a few years back rather revealing in regards to myself in some ways:

http://www.bullyonline.org/stress/health.htm

Thanks W... wonder what the BAC (blood alcohol content not bad ##### Crusaders) was of one of the last posters. Seemed to misunderstand what was said from more than one person. And think that was the first time he responded in either thread about the subject. Felt sorry that the mod (we've met) had to deal with that while trying to keep a handle on DCA Weekend threads... and some posts had to be deleted there too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Corpsreps has us listed at 13 shows for 1982...they are missing an early Hanover show, and a late Philadelphia show which I'd be willing to bet, we won both...including prelims and finals we lost four shows that season. The regional in Rochester which the Hurcs won, the show in Canada that we took 3rd behind Sky and Sun, then prelims and finals.

My issue in 1982 was that we didn't really improve on the show...yeah, we got it clean, but IIRC we didn't make any changes to anything, and just played it. I think if we started off back in the pack, and got the show better we MIGHT have gotten a better placement in the end, but we peaked and never got any better. And 1983 we too many hanger-ons that thought they'd get a free DCA championship, and we just didn't make the cut for it, and I know that a lot of us got burnt out... (I think the same thing happened to Bucs in 85, a few key people "retired" and were replaced by some that thought they'd get a trophy....and it didn't work out.)

The staff learned a lesson in 1982.

For the entire season up to the Grand Prix, they were told everything was great, it's all good, everything works, etc etc etc. The problem was when everyone started to catch up and then they were told there were issues, and the time to react to those issues was too late.

They, and we as well, all learned you sometimes have to figure out what's wrong or could use some changes before the judges complain. The modern Bucs are very good at being proactive rather then reactive. When Jeff was at MAHS, they were also excellent in that same way.

Again, a teachable moment, one we all learned something from.

One of these days I'll get to my thoughts on three ringchasers from '83. It's a real sore point with me. I think it's been discussed after Alumni practice a bit over a craft beer. I know I talked to Ron Beyer, God Bless him about one of them. Ron was a really great guy and only saw the good in this individual, again, God Bless him. I told him kindly he never saw this one in action on the bus like Mike, Neidiger, Boom, and I did.

Anyone that got me that crazy to try and choke them in my sleep on a bus at oh dark thirty from their constant kvetching about my friends and how they all sucked all night but told everyone how awesome sauce they were because of the corps jacket THEY wore had a problem.

Corpsreps has us listed at 13 shows for 1982...they are missing an early Hanover show, and a late Philadelphia show which I'd be willing to bet, we won both...including prelims and finals we lost four shows that season. The regional in Rochester which the Hurcs won, the show in Canada that we took 3rd behind Sky and Sun, then prelims and finals.

My issue in 1982 was that we didn't really improve on the show...yeah, we got it clean, but IIRC we didn't make any changes to anything, and just played it. I think if we started off back in the pack, and got the show better we MIGHT have gotten a better placement in the end, but we peaked and never got any better. And 1983 we too many hanger-ons that thought they'd get a free DCA championship, and we just didn't make the cut for it, and I know that a lot of us got burnt out... (I think the same thing happened to Bucs in 85, a few key people "retired" and were replaced by some that thought they'd get a trophy....and it didn't work out.)

in 1990, we won a bunch of shows, and Empire and Cabs got some...we won the big show at Scranton, and the week before finals we 2 pointed Empire and had the highest score in DCA.

Next week at prelims and finals we were fourth. more galling was tying for drums at prelims fine...finals 4th? Really? We lost drums once all year and tied at prelims. If you look at the recap, the field guy, whose name I wont mention because I do love him as a human being, placed everyone in performance order.

and Bush came out of nowhere to win the whole #### thing with an original show. Luckily due to weather, retreat was DM only at Allentown. It could have been war if it had been full retreat. I remember Butch, Jimmy and David all visibly reacting with anger as scores were announced. I think Butch even turned around and walked off the field.

the corps was crushed. When we got back to Alton Park to turn in uniforms etc, tears everywhere. stunned looks. I don't know why prelims didn't hit us hard...maybe we figured with the crazy season, it would shake out differently at finals. A lot of people left and then the corps struggled 91-94. 92 had a bigger corps, but #### design as a total package and a staff that didn't work together. 93 could have been amazing with about 20 more brass...even 15. the Yanni show never got the credit It deserved. Dan went outside of the then DCA percussion box with arranging and it wasn't fully accepted.

'92 had more potential than people realize for the run at Finals. If the right things were said after prelims, it could have been a pretty interesting result- and I say this from a kinda knowledgeable and unique perspective on that matter.

they were 5th at finals, and I love my old team, but they had no shot jumping up to catch Bush and Empire. the show had no flow...it went from hawthorne light, to Crossmen watered down classic drum solo, to the most all over the map version of Blues known to mankind.

.15 out of beating a very, very decent Hurricane corps which I respected. .35 out of beating an excellent Cabs corps- though I think the Cabs prelims score was a quart low because room had to be left on top because of their order of appearance. Westshore were 5th out of prelims and 6th at Finals when Les Metro just did what they did best and blew the place up for the heck of it and beat Westshore. I doublechecked the DCA site on that. Really, you had Bush with Empire chasing close, Cabs a nick below that, the Hurcs/Westshore/Les Metro in a lump with Bucs/Sky/Crusaders in the next lump.

Never said they could catch the top 2 (Bush and Empire). Those two corps were on another planet from everyone else. It would have been a task to take the Cabs that year for Westshore. The Cabs were a bit of an enigma that year brass-wise. When they were on- they were as good as Empire or better in terms of brass, though I know some would and did rabidly disagree with that, though the Cabs were never as consistent as Bush or Empire by far. The Hurcs? .15 is infinitesimal. With the system in place in 1992 that would be changing 2 judges minds by a tenth. Not even changing placement, just a spread. Westshore did have a legit crack at them if they wanted it.

If someone would have told the corps after prelims, "We're point three-five out of third place. Relax, think about some things you and your section can do to just do things a little better, and let's see what happens. We owe that to ourselves, let's have some fun and see if we can do some damage!" instead of being told what they were told, which put the corps into a nasty dispirited funk. A fourth would have been a nice finish, and entirely attainable with the right mental attitude going onto the field for finals.

Well, I don't think we won 90% of the contests we competed in in 1982, and really didn't get the traction at the end that we truly needed.

You only lost two shows before Prelims... Rochester and Montreal.

And some corps from Long Island won only two shows before Prelims. :whistle:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1