The history of the Westshoremen

Right- I think it's a good deal for the U's. Show off the campus to several hundred prospective students, some HS gets some $$$. I'd see that was a win-win.

At one time, ToB had a show at Frostburg State that was sponsored by their Phi Mu Alpha chapter to fundraise and also get school awareness up, and I think also so that the Brothers got experience in running a contest and to find out the hard way what was needed. Wish the KKY chapter at WCU would think about something like it, but I think monetary risk is a concern there. I *think* they work concessions at some of the fall band shows to make money, less risk, easy rewards.

Frostburg State did a good job hosting and the facility is fine, it's just that it's on top of one of the Mountains out there more or less and exposed to bad weather. Kind of like PSU, 10 or more degrees colder than places nearby, or snowing while its sunny in October, that kinda thing.

Frostburg tried again a few years ago but it fell apart. we actually practiced at Frostburg in 96 for the Cumberland MD show. it's 3/4 of the 83 tenor line reunited...some guy named Ben was the missing link

trying to play the triple parts on 5 drums...classic

:tounge2:

You guys were lucky to get those facilities if you had access to the stadium. It's a nice little college campus.

I was always impressed that Cumberland had that DCA show and that it seems to have been well regarded by the people who were involved in it. That stadium in town has been recently renovated and spiffed up, a really good facility, parking might be the only real issue. Top end turf, good seating. To have a show that out of the way that had any success for more than a one shot is impressive.

we didn't have the stadium...the Redskins did as they had camp there. I cannot confirm nor deny any involvement in the spray painting a nice blue star in one of the end zones. It's just not talked about.

Parking is still an issue there having judged a band show there a few years ago. the rehearsals were all about by the college, and it had enough room for pretty much everyone. Always a great crowd to play in front of, great stadium. of course back then the hospital was by the stadium instead of massive facility across from the college, so you knew every year someone's ballad would get destroyed by the helicopter coming in from a call.

Proud to say I won it a few times as a performer, and thrilled my team won when I was an instructor the last year they had it.

also usually ended up being rookie talent night on the bus on the way home

I was always impressed that Cumberland had that DCA show and that it seems to have been well regarded by the people who were involved in it.

Bob Andrews and his crew that ran the show there were absolutely top notch. Anything the corps needed, they got.

Always a big, enthusiastic crowd there, too. I miss that show to this day.

Interesting they had the Redskins camp there, I guess they moved it out of Dickinson to there at one time. I forget where they're at now. I imagine that Blue Star caused quite a ruckus. :cool:

i believe they went there from Carlisle, now in VA.

and as for the blue star....we left Saturday night. who knows. the corps was invited back in 97...why would a corps from PA have Dallas fans?

:ninja:

Bob Andrews and his crew that ran the show there were absolutely top notch. Anything the corps needed, they got.

Always a big, enthusiastic crowd there, too. I miss that show to this day.

i got to judge a band show there in 2008. Man on the drive in, some cool flashbacks to years gone past. Amazed when I saw the new hosptial. being in the car with some DCA vets, we all shared some great stories.

that was where Bush would have Bad Beer too

Think Frostburg was were John and Julie Close (contras) lived. And memories of Cumberland going to relatives in WV for a wedding. On the way back stopped for a break before we hit Cumberland as wanted to prepare for hitting that freakin' narrows in the middle of town......

I head out that way at least once a year I guess. I-68's a pretty spectacular drive in the fall. I need to figure out some day if there are any decent eateries along its length other than the Truck stops which I know like the back of my hand and the bigger Little Sandy's in Bruceton Mills has good Buckwheat Pancakes when they're in season.

Cumberland used to have a Po'Folks, but there are only 8 of those left, all in Florida. You'd think a town the size of Cumberland had a good place to eat other than national chains...

As for the Cowboys, hey, they're "America's Team", even though they're number 4 in sales of swag and well, the Steelers are number 1. :cool:

Frostburg tried again a few years ago but it fell apart. we actually practiced at Frostburg in 96 for the Cumberland MD show. it's 3/4 of the 83 tenor line reunited...some guy named Ben was the missing link

trying to play the triple parts on 5 drums...classic

:tounge2:

:innocent: