Madison Announces 2010 Program

Cmon Tom, you know when you come into a Madison thread there are about a dozen guys spoiling for you to toss the turd in our punchbowl! Its kind of knee jerk now actually regardless of what you say, your reputation guarantees you losing the benefit of the doubt.

The only cure is for you to say kind supportive and nurturing things about all things Madison for one year. :tongue:

I have always liked the Aussies.

And I liked the first half of the music and visual program for last year's show.

I also think this organization has turned an important corner and if I had to pick a single beacon for this improvement it would be Chris Komnick and his leadership with the organization.

I also think that alumni giving is strong with this organization despite what I might have said to the contrary....it's just...well, with fundraising, there's never enough. Not until every last living alumni is giving their full dues. That is what really helps the current Scouts members. <off soap box>

Oh, and I like to say GO SCOUTS!!!

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is scientifically proven spats add 25% more lungpower to the wearer.

Thats why I had to choose Kilties as my All Age corps. I neeeed the spats.

I remember as a rookie in the Jr. Scouts in 1970 I put mine on backwards (the wrong feet) and the brass clips that you pulled the laces around got hooked on each other (because they were now on the INSIDE of the ankels) and BAM!, I went down on my face. :tongue: That is the only time I made that mistake.

These pieces with Madison tied to them is anything but bleh.

I think the Scouts will shock a lot of folks next season.....it's a been a while since we have heard these pieces....and with the Scouts energy and updated arrangements.....it should be awesome.

The most important thing the Scouts need to do is to generate the Madison Scout energy.....KEY !!!

We heard the Gershwin last year. The California Blue team played it. The Rockford team played it in 2005.

Again, just to be clear...Slaughter hasn't been played in over 20 years and I believe all of us are looking forward to hearing it on the field again. I would say this tune is quintecential Scouts. Rhapsody, although the 75, 76 and 89 alums, the song is hardly quintecential Scouts. It's been played by many corps. And again, for me, Rhapsody is a bleh. I said as much with Phantom Regiment in 1995. I liked the American in Paris, but Rhapsody just doesn't jazz me.

I was really praying for some Don Ellis. And I remember some discussion about Remembrance and it caused me to look it up. Wow. I was kind of hoping for that too.

I'll get over it. Probably when I see them perform for the first time.

GO SCOUTS!!!

It is also scientifically proven that spats lower your visual score by 25% with today's judges.

Stop hating on the spats Brace!

I am loathe to compliment the Kilties in any way because 6 DCA posters will jump in and claim we're whining again but to borrow a phrase from Forrest Gump, "spats is as spats does". Wearing spats definitely does put the onus on a marching group to have good feet compared to the paleolithic days of yore, but I would argue that in the Kilties particularly this year, the feet have been getting much better. 4-8 years ago the same could not be said. But starting in 06 visual staff began to concentrate more effort on feet since the spats will never be deleted from the uniform. This used to be a common complaint on our scoresheets, but this year not so much. And once you view our videotape youll see that they dont detract, the feet were in fact pretty good. Whereas this isnt necessarily the rule, the more older members in ones corps the more likely the corps is going to have an issue with feet and since Kilties mean age has dropped precipitously in the past 2 years I think to that extent it has been reflected in the feet.

You dont need white spotlights on your feet to see bad marching. As an experiment I paid alot of attention to feet last year at DCA and there are very few DCA corps with good feet.

To bring this back to Madison, I too think it would be a bold step to fly in the face of conventional wisdom and bring back the spats (leggings). DCI age marchers are going to good feet anyway. Personally I think its a shame corps have resorted to visual trickery to prevent the possibility of feet affecting their visual scores. For illumination view 1988 Madison, outstanding foot technique.

Definitely a huge surprise!

Madison Scouts 2010 Program Announcement

As long as Madison doesn't Slaughter Rhapsody in Blue on 10th Avenue, count me on board with this announcement.

But if it's the Jim Prime we've all come to know, then we Drum Corps fans who like to tap our feet and snap our fingers to the beat should be in for a treat with no tricks here.

We ADDED spats to our uniform for '84, because we felt our feet were clean enough to benefit from the increased exposure. Would have to study some recaps to see if it paid off though...

Stop hating on the spats Brace!

I am loathe to compliment the Kilties in any way because 6 DCA posters will jump in and claim we're whining again but to borrow a phrase from Forrest Gump, "spats is as spats does". Wearing spats definitely does put the onus on a marching group to have good feet compared to the paleolithic days of yore, but I would argue that in the Kilties particularly this year, the feet have been getting much better. 4-8 years ago the same could not be said. But starting in 06 visual staff began to concentrate more effort on feet since the spats will never be deleted from the uniform. This used to be a common complaint on our scoresheets, but this year not so much. And once you view our videotape youll see that they dont detract, the feet were in fact pretty good. Whereas this isnt necessarily the rule, the more older members in ones corps the more likely the corps is going to have an issue with feet and since Kilties mean age has dropped precipitously in the past 2 years I think to that extent it has been reflected in the feet.

You dont need white spotlights on your feet to see bad marching. As an experiment I paid alot of attention to feet last year at DCA and there are very few DCA corps with good feet.

To bring this back to Madison, I too think it would be a bold step to fly in the face of conventional wisdom and bring back the spats (leggings). DCI age marchers are going to good feet anyway. Personally I think its a shame corps have resorted to visual trickery to prevent the possibility of feet affecting their visual scores. For illumination view 1988 Madison, outstanding foot technique.

Hey, let's not misconstrue the statement. I like the bold move. But, I would be afraid the judges of today's visual programs would dump the corps. I think this a realistic caution for pushing in this direction. Just a caution, that's all.

EDIT: Too snarky, even for me.

Edited by Roark1

Just a brief comment on the Geno/Tom war of words.

If I'm not mistaken, Tom Brace has stated on DCP that he contributes to the Madison Scouts and I know he continually encourages people on here to do the same.

That's a hell of a lot more than I can say about the majority of Scouts alumni I marched with in the alumni corps in 2006. It brings to mind the ad campaign for the

Milwaukee Symphony back in the '70s when I lived there "Don't Applaud, Send Money".

Just a brief comment on the Geno/Tom war of words.

If I'm not mistaken, Tom Brace has stated on DCP that he contributes to the Madison Scouts and I know he continually encourages people on here to do the same.

That's a hell of a lot more than I can say about the majority of Scouts alumni I marched with in the alumni corps in 2006. It brings to mind the ad campaign for the

Milwaukee Symphony back in the '70s when I lived there "Don't Applaud, Send Money".

Mike. Part of the reason I give is my son, alum from 2002 and 2004 was in school and really couldn't afford his dues so I have tried to pick up his slack. Now, that he is gainfully employed, I see little reason he can't pick up on his commitment to the corps. Will I stop giving or prodding others to give? Nope. Never.

As snarky as I can be, I do love many aspects about the very nature of the Scouts and what the corps meant to my son and what the experience did for him, whether he fully recognizes it yet, or not.

But, as with life, the corps gets me if they get my money. I feel as a paying consumer of the Scouts as a "product," I am within my bounds to b#### and complain if I'm not impressed. I expressed dismay with the last half of the 2009 show...as did others. Note, that many changes have taken place since then and I believe I have applauded many of them. Sure, there was one more Jim I wished the corps could have landed, but hey, on the whole this staff is accumulated greatness and I don't think anything else could be expected from the efforts of Chris Komnick, who right now...this early in the 2010 season should be an odds on favorite for DCI World Class Director of the Year. Agreed?

So, some only see thorns, some only roses. I mix the two up because that's the way the plant should be. That's the rose. And by another name, the Madison Scouts.

Hey, that last part was pretty good. Even for me.