Hell's Gate - Maslanka

Hey all,

Who all here has heard "Hell's Gate" by David Maslanka? Its a band piece that features three saxophone soloists. This piece is intense! It is right up the lane of Crown, BD, and Cadets me thinks.

Its a really fast tempo, creepy, frightening tune. I'd love to see a drum corps tackle it.

i'd love to see crown or bluecoats playing it

Unfortunately we will never see it on the field. THouhg I played it last year in my college wind ensemble, and all I could think was....oh my god would this be amazing on a field

aw that's not cool

I get his reasoning, and while I think his stuff would be a great addition to drum corps repertoire, I really appreciate that he sticks with his stance.

That said, I'm curious to hear from someone who knows about this stuff - how much money do you think he'd be turning down by not allowing his works to be arranged? I'd imagine that Maslanka would be getting as many hits as, say, John Mackey - what do you think Mackey earns in a year for allowing arrangements?

I get his reasoning, and while I think his stuff would be a great addition to drum corps repertoire, I really appreciate that he sticks with his stance.

That said, I'm curious to hear from someone who knows about this stuff - how much money do you think he'd be turning down by not allowing his works to be arranged? I'd imagine that Maslanka would be getting as many hits as, say, John Mackey - what do you think Mackey earns in a year for allowing arrangements?

Probably a considerable amount for a composer, but I don't think he cares. He's probably pretty well off by now. I don't blame him for wanting to keep the integrity of his music, as I'm sure someone would just demolish it

art and business dont always mix.