The Green Machine or SCV

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV isn't allowing anybody under 18 or isn't a senior to be accepted into the corps this year,

Hold the phone...

A drum corps is seriously being this friggin picky about age. Since when did drum corps become about this! I used to think it was about the journey, giving a kid a chance. What kids anymore? Their all over 18!

I refuse to call SCV a junior corps this year. Apparently, they are an adult corps.

Just crazy...

Hold the phone...

A drum corps is seriously being this friggin picky about age. Since when did drum corps become about this! I used to think it was about the journey, giving a kid a chance. What kids anymore? Their all over 18!

I refuse to call SCV a junior corps this year. Apparently, they are an adult corps.

Just crazy...

Blue Devils have had this 'rule' for quite some time. It isn't concrete as there always seems to be a couple kids every year who might be as young as 17. It's mostly a maturity thing. SCV might be taking the same approach.

Edited by Creep

Blue Devils have had this 'rule' for quite some time. It isn't concrete as there always seems to be a couple kids every year who might be as young as 17. It's mostly a maturity thing. SCV might be taking the same approach.

If you're a 17 year old thats marched 2 or 3 years of drum corps already you have a lot better chances of making Blue Devils than an 18 or 19 year old with no prior experience.

Just do it.

You wont be the best ANYWHERE.

Lower placing corps are still good. They still work just as hard (some harder) than some upper corps. They are usually just younger

BUT you WILL LEARN a LOT!

and once again, go to a few different camps, you will learn who you like to work with, and what styles fit you.

but i guarantee you will find yourself not as good as you thought you were, when you go to these camps. (not saying you wont make it, but Cavaliers and SCV will have minimal spots open this year)

Silvertrombone, while your advice is sound, I'm a bit surprised that you grouped Boston in with the others corps you mentioned as a warm up act before marching with a "top" corps. These days, most Crusaders do not view BAC as a stepping stone corps....in fact, only a handful of 08 members marched elsewhere in 09.....I think one or two went to PR for 09 in hopes of a ring, but they were definitely a super-minority.

I think you are right about Boston not being a stepping stone corps.. If anything, they are on the move upward..........

If you're a 17 year old thats marched 2 or 3 years of drum corps already you have a lot better chances of making Blue Devils than an 18 or 19 year old with no prior experience.

How about if you are a 17-year-old, going to HS in some other time zone? Odds of you sticking it out are worse, and even if you do, you'll probably miss a couple of camps or part of all-days (depending on when HS ends for the summer). It wouldn't surprise me to find out that a top-six corps has no out-of-region HS kids in their ranks.

To the OP - there's an advantage to marching near where you live. For your college years, you might be able to pick a school close to where your dream corps is based....no such luck in HS. Consider the challenges of having to fly to monthly camps with either dream corps vs. a perfectly fine top-12 corps that is nearby.

Joining a corps is a commitment. If you are ready to make that commitment, long-distance travel and all, then good luck at whatever corps you choose.

I auditioned for Blue Devils when I was 19 years old and made it. I had no prior experience. I made sure I was prepared. That's all it takes.

if i were Jesus (heh..) i would be trying BK, SCV, and Troop. SCV has late auds (dec. 16?) so go to BK over thanksgiving weekend. i'm sure troop wouldn't say no to someone showing up in january.

and never let anyone tell you that some corps isn't letting anyone under 18 in this year...

Edited by euphononium