Devils or Vanguard

I love both BD and SCV, and they are unique in their own way. I guess it depends on the day as far as which one I like better.

I would say that especially during the 2009 season, I never had so much admiration for the Vanguard as a member of HNC. I remember during a show in Charleston, WV, we (HNC) were walking up to the gate and SCV was performing their show. In the corner of my eye, I saw them in a company front at the beginning (and the technique looked pretty good)....I'm thinking "Wow, they're good."

But what I really enjoy about SCV is that besides us, they are one of the most innovative corps in history. If you have The Fan Network, take a look at the shows from the 80s. Also take a look at 1994 SCV. Amazing creativity....

With BD, you can't go wrong with cleaniness, and the "I'm better than you" mentality. But you can't deny SCV for its grace and beauty, just like 2009. Anyway....my 2 pesos.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going all the way back to the seventies...VANGUARD...from the 80's on, most years would be Devils with the exception of a few for me...Miss Saigon certainly stands out in my eyes. Recently, Scheherezade very nice, Moto Perpetuo was really cool, and their visual shows have been great. But I still like Devils musical concepts over SCV's.

It is great to see these two corps sustain their existence being in close geographic proximity of each other since the 70's and DCI, and put out great shows every year.

Donny

This one is easy for me. Vanguard, all the way. There are a total of maybe 3-4 Devils shows that I like whereas I enjoy almost every Vanguard show.

I'll take both, please. Almost like the yin and yang of DCI. I don't like their shows every year, but as a whole throughout the years - each is awesome in their own ways!

Don Angelica once (probably many times) called SCV "the Rolls-Royce of the industry." Meaning they were always the standard for the highest line you could shoot for. He also (maybe even on the same broadcast) said of BD that "they do it better than anyone else." That was 20-plus years ago, and I don't think those assessments have changed much. BD seem to win whenever they want and always project that bad-azz attitude, and SCV has never finished lower than 8th in the 700 years DCI has been around.

So, why choose? Feel lucky we have them doing that voodoo that they do so well.

I have to say that I prefer Vanguard most years over BD. An exception being 2008, which I thought was a GREAT show for BD. I don't think BD should have won it in 2008, but it was a great, great show for me. That doesn't happen very often anymore I'm sad to say. That is, I don't like BD's show THAT much very often.

It seems like the past decade or so, their shows are kind of boring to me. The exception is if I get to watch them live, which is always a treat. I have to echo another DCPer and say that I appreciate BD, but I love SCV. I'll never forget the first time I saw SCV perform an illusion on a football field (1988). I am a magician myself, and I just thought that was the coolest thing (though today it might seem a little cheesy). So, SCV gets my vote, by far. I am much more entertained by them year in and year out, with an exception here and there.

Phantom won in 2008. Constantly Risking Absurdity was a close second.

1975- SCV

1976-Tie

1977-SCV

1978-SCV

1979- Tie

1980-SCV

1981-Tie

1982-BD

1983-SCV

1984-SCV

1985-SCV

1986-BD