Devils or Vanguard

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the greatest corps to ever perform and both from California. Of these two corps, which one puts out shows that you enjoy more?

I usually really enjoy both corps. Blue Devils usually perform a little better towards the end of the season, and usually seem to place higher. Vanguard usually has a little more emotion to their shows, and sometimes isn't completely clean at the end of the season.

But I have to say when it comes to the end of the season, and watching/listening to the dvd/cd recordings, it is usually Vanguard that ends up with more play time. I find that even though the performance level isn't always the best, there is just so much to their shows that grabs my attention. And they just have so many fantastic moments over the years. The disappearing phantom, the tunnel, the guard switches, the Bottle Dance, and the raw emotion that comes out of their shows that no other corps has ever been able to match.

I will say the Blue Devils are probably the best performing corps in DCI, and really should have had a 3 peat 07-09, but I will say I enjoy SCV just a little more most years.

I am guessing it will be about a 50/50 split on which corps most people enjoy more. As a band director, I would love to hear more feedback on what is is that makes you prefer one over the other.

The Santa Clara Vanguard.

Has there ever been any real bashing of the Vanguard on DCP? I don't mean general criticism about a show, staffing issues, etc., but flat out bashing as we have seen in the case of a few other corps that some people seem to love to hate. And I think it goes beyond how people will typically bash a repeated winner (i.e. Yankees). I don't know if I've ever read anything on here that would classify as obvious "Vanguard hating," and I don't think it has anything to do with them not having 13 titles associated with their name.

I just think that most people have a genuine respect for this corps, who they are, what they represent, and what they mean to this activity. Up or down in placement, you just can't touch them. I think every corps (even BD, Cadets, etc.) wants that kind of universal admiration and respect. There must be days where every corps wishes they were the Santa Clara Vanguard. :thumbup:

The Santa Clara Vanguard.

Has there ever been any real bashing of the Vanguard on DCP? I don't mean general criticism about a show, staffing issues, etc., but flat out bashing as we have seen in the case of a few other corps that some people seem to love to hate. And I think it goes beyond how people will typically bash a repeated winner (i.e. Yankees). I don't know if I've ever read anything on here that would classify as obvious "Vanguard hating," and I don't think it has anything to do with them not having 13 titles associated with their name.

I just think that most people have a genuine respect for this corps, who they are, what they represent, and what they mean to this activity. Up or down in placement, you just can't touch them. I think every corps (even BD, Cadets, etc.) wants that kind of universal admiration and respect. There must be days where every corps wishes they were the Santa Clara Vanguard. :thumbup:

I can agree with these sentiments to an extent. I can't recall anyone outright bashing Vanguard on DCP, and I can see how each and every corps wants to be respected and loved. Some would say that Vanguard is the epitome of "The Respectable Corps" or some such thing, and that many aspire to have that rock-solid foundation of greatness and respect as an organization. It is really a kind of indescribable thing... the Vanguard. I don't know how they do it, but as an organization, I feel like they ARE drum corps. No doubt about it. They are constant, un-changing (well, not really, but they change with the activity) and always there on saturday night. I am happy that they are a part of the drum corps experience, because no one can replace them.

BUT! I think that the Blue Devils as an organization and as a group of people never want to be like the Vanguard. They are just too different in my mind to be able to compare. I can only contrast. The Devils demand your attention via their ability to win. Day in and day out, they are the best out there at what they do (no matter how much I want that to change). From what the internet tells me, they don't care about the other corps, they care about beating themselves from the night before, the year before, etc. etc.

They both make the activity a bit more interesting in their own way, and I'm glad that each aspect is represented in DCI.

SCV is the more entertaining corps BY FAR!!! I believe that BD performs for the judges overall, and showcases each individual section displaying their proven talent, but the total package is crass and chaotic, and just plain boring IMO.

While SCV's technical performance is not the cleanest, and may not offer the most in terms of sectional showing-off, they can successfully bring all of their sounds and looks together into one flowing force of energy, which grabs ahold of you and puts you in a trance, wishing the last note was not so.

I think SCV has an endearing class and style that implies strength. From seeing their members walking around in street clothes and corps jackets, to seeing the full corps marching off the field, you know they take it seriously, and their hearts, minds, and bodies are plugged into something you can never understand unless you've been there.

BD never really gives me that "real" feel. Their goal is to make sure you know they are better than you....well, in my opinion, if you all you have to prove is that youre better than me, then you dont have anything else to be proud of....

I have to say that I prefer Vanguard most years over BD. An exception being 2008, which I thought was a GREAT show for BD. I don't think BD should have won it in 2008, but it was a great, great show for me. That doesn't happen very often anymore I'm sad to say. That is, I don't like BD's show THAT much very often.

It seems like the past decade or so, their shows are kind of boring to me. The exception is if I get to watch them live, which is always a treat. I have to echo another DCPer and say that I appreciate BD, but I love SCV. I'll never forget the first time I saw SCV perform an illusion on a football field (1988). I am a magician myself, and I just thought that was the coolest thing (though today it might seem a little cheesy). So, SCV gets my vote, by far. I am much more entertained by them year in and year out, with an exception here and there.

SCV has been my favorite Corps since I was 12. Nuff said.