Troopers Make 2010 Finals Night Performance?

83 members have voted

1. 1. Troopers Make Finals in 2010?

• YES
    • NO

You can state your reasons for your choice, etc.

Note...I plan one of these for every corps (2009 finish = 10th - 15th)

Okay, this is difficult to respond to, particularly being a big fan of Troop.

I'm one of those that, while happy for the 2009 Troopers, really scratched my head on what happened to a very strong 2009 Colts corps. In other words, it's a bit of a struggle to see Troopers in finals in 2010, when IMO, 2009 was somewhat of a question mark.

For the 2010 Troopers, I'm not certain that all of the necessary pieces are in place across all captions (particularly to overcome a very hungry Colts and Madison Scouts). However, the celebration of the Troopers return in the 2009 finals was both memorable and enjoyable, probably for everyone except those most closely connected with "Iowa's Corps." To be clear, my comments do not reflect my opinions of the 2009 Troopers, but more so, I speak of what I believe to have been denied the best Colts corps to date.

Anyway, having said that, perhaps the Troopers' finalist status will bring them some additional forward momentum toward achieving even greater excellence in 2010, which would be awesome. I want the Troopers there, absent any speculation.

Hardimon, Westman, Wiles, Rogers, Reeves again at the design helm: check.

Excellent brass staff, including the Harloff brothers and a lot of people with Crown and Cadets background: done.

Kick ### percussion staff to continue building on last year's excellent program: Yessiree Bob.

Guard - same as percussion: yep.

I'm saying yes.

(and yes, I'm a honk, and yes Madison and Colts and others are hungry for it, and yes it's entirely possible that Troop gets ousted out of finals, but it could also be that Troop comes out hungrier and better than expected and surprises some of the corps just ahead of them. I'm pretty sure the kids from last year know they've got targets painted on their backsides and that 2010 is about proving something.)

I think it will be difficult for them to make a repeat return. Certainly possible but with what I expect as a resurgence from Madison I do think they will have to overtake BK or Glassmen to get back in.

I think they will repeat....they have a good staff, and I think

making it should be good for both having members return and

attracting talent.......

I agree that Madison is a lock.....in fact, I will be surprised if they are not a single digit finisher........

I think Glassmen will be the corps that gets knocked out........I also think that the battle for finals

will grow to be even more epic and quite a war......

GB

It seems like the only way you could assume Madison would overtake Troop this year would be because of the big names they've hired. I think the Troopers are a great example of an amazing team coming together to build a great corps, but they still had to build it.

It didn't happen in one year, or even two. If I had to bet, I would put my money with a corps that has had a team working together for the 4th year in a row over one that's revamping a majority of the staff.

Regardless, fighting for finals spots is much more interesting to watch than having a lock for a month.

My guess is no. I don't have a reason. Just a hunch. I'm with the people saying Madison will be in this year, so in my mind it's Troop, Colts, and Glassmen fighting it out for the 12th spot.

Edited by TSRTS13

It seems like the only way you could assume Madison would overtake Troop this year would be because of the big names they've hired. I think the Troopers are a great example of an amazing team coming together to build a great corps, but they still had to build it.

It didn't happen in one year, or even two. If I had to bet, I would put my money with a corps that has had a team working together for the 4th year in a row over one that's revamping a majority of the staff.

Regardless, fighting for finals spots is much more interesting to watch than having a lock for a month.

That is true, but the staff did not remain in place all of those three years. They changed guard caption heads after the first year and then changed percussion and visual caption heads after the second year. The only caption that remained intact was in the brass area and now they are gone to the cavaliers.

With that being said, I do believe that Troop will be back in finals. They have the inside track and they have momentum. The team that they have assembled is solid and should continue to take them upwards. Plus they have a lot of vets, many of which are three and four year vets.

Okay, this is difficult to respond to, particularly being a big fan of Troop.

I'm one of those that, while happy for the 2009 Troopers, really scratched my head on what happened to a very strong 2009 Colts corps. In other words, it's a bit of a struggle to see Troopers in finals in 2010, when IMO, 2009 was somewhat of a question mark.

For the 2010 Troopers, I'm not certain that all of the necessary pieces are in place across all captions (particularly to overcome a very hungry Colts and Madison Scouts). However, the celebration of the Troopers return in the 2009 finals was both memorable and enjoyable, probably for everyone except those most closely connected with "Iowa's Corps." To be clear, my comments do not reflect my opinions of the 2009 Troopers, but more so, I speak of what I believe to have been denied the CLEANEST Colts corps to date.

Anyway, having said that, perhaps the Troopers' finalist status will bring them some additional forward momentum toward achieving even greater excellence in 2010, which would be awesome. I want the Troopers there, absent any speculation.

Fixed. Colts were as clean as they've ever been last year. Their achilies heel the last few years hasn't been execution but design. You have to have both, and they haven't since 07.

On topic I'm not convinced that Colts will put out a more compettitive product this year. If they can get a better designed program then sure, but IMO they need to lose Ceserio to do that. I think Madison is likely to make finals (although I'm not of the crowd that sees them higher than 10th) so for Troop to stay in they really need to be better than 12th. We'll see.

Edited by BozzlyB