What is it about drum corps...

And there it is!

I was waiting for yet another one of these "corps aren't loud enough" posts. It's almost like clockwork.

I have a solution! Buy a hearing aid and turn up the volume.

:inlove:

No hearing aid needed here. I just miss the sound (and volume) of Bb, large-bore bugles. Soprano bugles sound different from trumpets. Kevlar snare heads do not allow as much air to be pushed through the drum, so the sound is not as loud and gets lots when horns are in front.

What was the first year that you attended a drum corps competition? Perhaps you simply have never been exposed to the power of horn lines of the '70s through the mid '80s. I appreciate the difficulty of today's arrangements, movement, etc., but if it isn't entertaining, something is wrong. Look at drum corps today: dwindling attendance, fewer contests, no TV contract, etc. The top 7-8 corps are ultra high budget operations with hundreds of kids auditioning. The talent is far more developed, the kids work much harder (I wouldn't want to have to run around the field carrying tenors, destroying my joints). They are techinically fantastic. But they don't sock you in the face any more. That's what my point was about.

At least there a few college marching bands that can still hit the audience like a brick wall.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No hearing aid needed here. I just miss the sound (and volume) of Bb, large-bore bugles. Soprano bugles sound different from trumpets. Kevlar snare heads do not allow as much air to be pushed through the drum, so the sound is not as loud and gets lots when horns are in front.

What was the first year that you attended a drum corps competition? Perhaps you simply have never been exposed to the power of horn lines of the '70s through the mid '80s. I appreciate the difficulty of today's arrangements, movement, etc., but if it isn't entertaining, something is wrong. Look at drum corps today: dwindling attendance, fewer contests, no TV contract, etc. The top 7-8 corps are ultra high budget operations with hundreds of kids auditioning. The talent is far more developed, the kids work much harder (I wouldn't want to have to run around the field carrying tenors, destroying my joints). They are techinically fantastic. But they don't sock you in the face any more. That's what my point was about.

At least there a few college marching bands that can still hit the audience like a brick wall.

Surely you're not saying that it's not entertaining if it's not loud? I definitely think there's more to entertainment than that. Besides, have you been to a drum corps show lately? I don't think anyone would call today's corps quiet, regardless of how they compare to past decades.

Also, many college bands have the benefit of waaaaay greater numbers then DCI allows.

First of all, apologies for opening the biggest can of worms ever. But let me explain myself. I'm from Australia, hence any contact with drum corps is purely over the internet and a horn tutor who has friends who've been in drum corps. As I've explained in the new members section, I'm planning to come to the US on university exchange in the July 2010 and audition for the 2011 season for a rook-out place on mello. I know what I (think) I want to be part of drum corps, but I've never been in one, so over to you :)

Unfortunately, there is no words that can properly capture performing in Drum Corps. But suffice to say, once you do experience the adrenalin rush and excitement of performing for audiences in Drum Corps competition, no further explanation will be needed.

Good luck.

There is so much power, drama, intricacy, pageantry and MUSIC in those 10-12 minutes. There is nothing else quite like it and to this day I can still get goosebumps from a show from 1988 let alone the present. This is addiction at its most pure and perfect.

Thanks Brasso! Drum corps keeps getting better (in my head, if not everywhere else). The more I pick up about marching music, the more impressive drum corps shows become. And I haven't even seen one in the flesh!

I'm going to put this question out there again though: How does world class compare with open class?

Thanks Brasso! Drum corps keeps getting better (in my head, if not everywhere else). The more I pick up about marching music, the more impressive drum corps shows become. And I haven't even seen one in the flesh!

I'm going to put this question out there again though: How does world class compare with open class?

The main difference between Open and World classes is Open Class corps operate on usually a smaller scale than World Class corps. Open Class corps usually have less shows, a shorter tour, lower tour fees, and are more likely to stay in their region until Finals. Open Class corps tend to be smaller in membership too, any where from the maximum of 150 to 30 members.

Surely you're not saying that it's not entertaining if it's not loud? I definitely think there's more to entertainment than that. Besides, have you been to a drum corps show lately? I don't think anyone would call today's corps quiet, regardless of how they compare to past decades.

Also, many college bands have the benefit of waaaaay greater numbers then DCI allows.

Of course there are forms of musical expression that are not loud yet still are entertaining. And yes, I have been to a drum corps show lately, and except for the ridiculously overamplified keyboards, the corps generally are not as loud as they were 25-30 years ago. It's not all about being "loud", it's about dynamic contrast. I want a corps's fff's to hit the crowd like a tsunami, not a squirt gun. Today's corps simply do not play as powerfully as the top corps of, say, 1980. They don't even play large bore, G bugles today; this subject has been covered ad nauseum in these forums.

You are of course correct that many college bands have greater numbers than DCI allows. My point was that to get the sort of amazing volume of, say, the 1979 or 1980 Spirit of Atlanta or Madison Scouts or Blue Devils (with tonal quality - I'm not talking about horrendous overblowing), the listener today must turn to a 250+ member college marching band, since you don't get that level of sound power out of today's DCI World Class corps. Of course they move faster and farther and play more notes, but they don't blow my face off the way I (and many others) like it. I guess I'll have to settle for today's "in your face" xylophones and marimbas, courtesy of the mixing board.

Of course there are forms of musical expression that are not loud yet still are entertaining. And yes, I have been to a drum corps show lately, and except for the ridiculously overamplified keyboards, the corps generally are not as loud as they were 25-30 years ago. It's not all about being "loud", it's about dynamic contrast. I want a corps's fff's to hit the crowd like a tsunami, not a squirt gun. Today's corps simply do not play as powerfully as the top corps of, say, 1980. They don't even play large bore, G bugles today; this subject has been covered ad nauseum in these forums.

You are of course correct that many college bands have greater numbers than DCI allows. My point was that to get the sort of amazing volume of, say, the 1979 or 1980 Spirit of Atlanta or Madison Scouts or Blue Devils (with tonal quality - I'm not talking about horrendous overblowing), the listener today must turn to a 250+ member college marching band, since you don't get that level of sound power out of today's DCI World Class corps. Of course they move faster and farther and play more notes, but they don't blow my face off the way I (and many others) like it. I guess I'll have to settle for today's "in your face" xylophones and marimbas, courtesy of the mixing board.

1980 Spirit is cool and everything, but there was more overblowing at the end of that show than I've ever heard...ever.

And there it is!

I was waiting for yet another one of these "corps aren't loud enough" posts. It's almost like clockwork.

I have a solution! Buy a hearing aid and turn up the volume.

:withstupid:

Yes, the truth is a bit hard to swallow. Some people like that "Wall of Sound" and quite frankly is one of the main reasons I joined drum corps. I already had symphonic wind and orchestra and just regular marching band and wanted a "unique" experience on a different instrument. There is nothing wrong with a crowd jumping to their feet because their eardrums just exploded from a g hornline. Conversely, there is nothing wrong with getting excited about running at 288 bps and playing a lick either. However, most people should understand that difficult doesn't automatically = good. It kinda reminds me of watching Chopped (a chef show) and watching incredibly complicated dishes get torn to bits (by judges) over a simple one that actually tastes good. Quite honestly, DCI would do itself a huge favor, by hiring or asking professional judges to come in and do their own critique of shows that are judged by other judges just to see if anyone has other opinions of what is considered important.