Privacy in Corps? Or lack thereof?

So I introduce my new wife to one of my best friends from corps. He shakes her hand, looks at her straight in the eye and says...

"I bet I've seen your husband naked more times than YOU have."

True story.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COLD SHOWERS or HOT SHOWERS. I swear that some of the showers we used were exhibiting some bizarre property of physics where water can go beyond freezing or boiling temperature.

CHANGING TEMPERATURE SHOWERS: At one place we stayed in the late '70's, when someone would flush a toilet in the next room, the lack of cold water it caused in the shower meant each shower head turned SCALDING HOT for about two seconds each, going around the room. We figured it out after about the 5th guy screamed and jumped out of the stream of water. Good times! :tongue:

The sooner you get used to it, the better. I had a friend and roomate thru camps and spring training, and during camps, this kid didnt shower, and during s.t, he waited till about 2am to shower. He got sick and had to leave tour, but he never got used to it.. He would have NEVER survived tour living on the buses where you eat, sleep, change in and out of uniform, etc.

You can do the swimsuit trick, or just bring a loofa/poofy and hold it in front of your stuff while waiting in line. That shows you're not scared, but still have modesty about you, and that's respectable even thru tour.

Good luck with auditions!!!

the BEST is pooping with no stall door...the shameless s*** as we call it...

Oh, I can beat that. How about two toilets - with stalls - but the dividing wall between the two was missing. So two crappers in one big stall!

But it get's better!

There was a school in Ohio(?) that had toilets facing each other! So it was like you were in a showdown with the guy right across from you!

1) EVERYONE has shrinkage in cold water

2) If the waters cold, everyone is so busy trying to shower fast no one notices you

3) One time we had a long shower room with 24 shower heads and cold water. Everyone stood in front of a "timed" showerhead and when the person at the starting line yelled NOW, everyone turned on their showerhead as the person ran through all of them screaming to get wet. Then everyone moved down one head as they lathered.......once iy was your turn again you yelled NOW and ran through rinsing off...............teamwork

4) If you decide to soap down a huge shower and play "slip and slide", keep your arms out in front of you so you don't hit a wall head first and watch your privates when sliding over the drain.

5) Do not use Comet for slip and slide

6) Be prepared with your own comebacks to any smart a** in the corps ( whatcha looking at ME for......oh, I guess thats envey I see in your eyes)

As a fat guy with man breasts I use to get the brunt of all remarks in the 1st shower of the year so I would just shower next to the one making remarks and fart and walk away...............no more remarks.

All modesty goes away after the 1st shower, trust me, alot of people are feeling uneasy that 1st time.

Most of the funniest things happen in the shower.

A huge DITTO on the shower shoes, and like someone mentioned earlier, the more unique-looking the better.

Also know that the apprehension for most people does subside pretty darn quickly. It's difficult to take things too seriously when you see your fellow corpsmates wiping down and drying their horns while completely naked because making sure there weren't any drip spots on the horn was the first priority then you can get dried off and get dressed.

Wow. Another example of how much things have changed.

From my first day in junior high, I and everyone else was stripping off for a shower after gym class in a classic communal shower room. Coach Willie Ray made it abundantly clear that not showering wasn’t an option – modest or not. And so from that day through high school graduation, every school day everyone of us let it all hang out in the gym shower. Modesty quickly became irrelevant.

The funny coda to this tale is my freshmen year of college. I got a letter from the housing office informing me that all dorms were fully co-ed. The document added for clarity: “including sanitary facilities.”

I assumed therefore that my co-ed dorm would have showers much as my high school did. There would be one large room lined with showerheads. And there would be me lathering up next to Sally and Jane and hoping for the best. It didn’t dawn on me until the moment I set foot in that dorm that the showers might have stalls, which they did.

Coda to the coda: The first day in the dorm we voted on whether it would be okay for men to use the urinals in the co-ed bathroom. It was.

The moral of the story: Things change; and we get used to it.

HH

Yeah, to the topic creator, I was in pretty much the same position. Really though, after you do it once or twice, you realize it's not a big deal at all. Besides, there are things worse than just plain showering with other people:

• COLD SHOWERS or HOT SHOWERS. I swear that some of the showers we used were exhibiting some bizarre property of physics where water can go beyond freezing or boiling temperature.

You know you're in for a really bad shower experience when the directions to the shower go like this:

"Alright, you go down the hall, take a left, go down to the double doors. Go outside and walk to the end of the sidewalk...

and then walk in the direction of the screaming."

That's a true description and that's really how I found the shower once when I was in Sky Ryders. :tongue:

Edited by bradrick

3) One time we had a long shower room with 24 shower heads and cold water. Everyone stood in front of a "timed" showerhead and when the person at the starting line yelled NOW, everyone turned on their showerhead as the person ran through all of them screaming to get wet. Then everyone moved down one head as they lathered.......once iy was your turn again you yelled NOW and ran through rinsing off...............teamwork

I slipped and fell once in the shower...not so sure I like this idea, lol.

This whole thread makes me miss drum corps.