The Economy

i can't get my mind around paying dues. i never had to pay dues. i think if i had to i wouldn't have marched. i can see dci paying dues because of the tour but not dca. it should be pay as you go. just my opinion. oh and uni's and instruments.......that's what bingo and fundraisers are for. dues not for me.....never.

not every state has Ny's bingo laws. hell, even NY's bingo laws have gotten tougher. Plus with fundraising...remember, you're up against every school group, soccer league, little league, cheerleading group...you name it. the amount of competition for the fundraising dollar these days is incredible...especially when there aren't as many dollars to go around.

a perfect example:

i work in an office with 6 other people.

Wednesday I brought in a fundraiser for the indoor drumline i teach. since then, my boss brought in something for his son's little league, his daughter's dance group, the guy next to me brought in something for his son's soccer league, a lady in here brought in something for her niece's indoor guard.

the competition is intense. and the money isn't flowing. I wish all corps could have a bingo system like Empire does, but state laws don't allow it in most places.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should cut back. it'll stunt your growth :thumbup:

TOO LATE... :thumbup:

Maybe it's stunt the growth around my middle.... yeah right. :worthy:

As for raffles and other fundraisers... had neighbors tell me they didn't want to see me more than once a year with "that crap" and that was IF they bought. As for selling at the office, Uncle Sam has cracked down on that in my agency. Email filters at some places catch "bingo" and "raffle".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Not intending to"throw a fly in the ointment", but I think the youth in DCI accept what DCI is today.

certainly, the tour fees are exorbitant, but they will find ways to meet the expense.

I believe DCA is a true value for the kid who doesn't want to spend $3,000.00 in tour fees.

And in the current economy, DCA is an even GREATER value.

Regarding the $3000.00 in tour fees, I just wanted to point out that there are summer specialty camps (music, acting, etc.) here in Southern California that charge just as much for 10-14 days of professional instruction only. So, yes $3000 is a lot, but $3000 for the amount of instruction given plus the invaluable life lessons of tour is still a pretty good deal. Granted, If I was marching junior corps now I don't think I could have financed 5 years' worth of tour like I did, but I may have pulled off every other year and marched just 3 years.

And, luckily, there is a great and affordable all-age corps in my area, SoCal Dream, so I can still march as much as I want and it's definitely not $3000 a year. :thumbup:

Regarding the $3000.00 in tour fees, I just wanted to point out that there are summer specialty camps (music, acting, etc.) here in Southern California that charge just as much for 10-14 days of professional instruction only. So, yes $3000 is a lot, but $3000 for the amount of instruction given plus the invaluable life lessons of tour is still a pretty good deal. Granted, If I was marching junior corps now I don't think I could have financed 5 years' worth of tour like I did, but I may have pulled off every other year and marched just 3 years.

Very useful data point!

3 weeks of jazz camp at Interlochen = $4,115

6 weeks of wind ensemble camp at Interlochen = $7,040

And, luckily, there is a great and affordable all-age corps in my area, SoCal Dream, so I can still march as much as I want and it's definitely not $3000 a year. :thumbup:

I only said the $3,000.00 tour fees wre exorbitant. I did NOT say that DCI wasn't giving value for the dollars. At that price one would EXPECT to recieve top notch instruction. And I believe that DCI corps

ARE providing top notch instruction.

I only said the $3,000.00 tour fees wre exorbitant. I did NOT say that DCI wasn't giving value for the dollars. At that price one would EXPECT to recieve top notch instruction. And I believe that DCI corps

ARE providing top notch instruction.

In the 60's and 70's tour fees in the $2000-3000 range indeed would have been exorbitant. In 2010, it's a freaking high-value steal. If you look around at other activities, you'll find DCI tour fees to be a fraction of what comparable youth activities cost today.

Edited by Kamarag

I don't belive it's the economy at all. DCA corps are putting out quality groups and it cost less money, not as much time and young people can do drum corps and also have a life. Reminiscent of the 1970's when competitions were done on weekends. Remember how many corps were doing that back then? ALOT! Is it cheaper to do drum corps in DCA? YEP!

I don't belive it's the economy at all. DCA corps are putting out quality groups and it cost less money, not as much time and young people can do drum corps and also have a life. Reminiscent of the 1970's when competitions were done on weekends. Remember how many corps were doing that back then? ALOT! Is it cheaper to do drum corps in DCA? YEP!

so it's not the economy, but yes DCA is cheaper.

:thumbup:

I think that's certainly part of it. DCI and DCA are different (though related) experiences. Heck, if anything, DCA is closer to typical marching band than DCI is, and that's probably part of the appeal.

I think that's certainly part of it. DCI and DCA are different (though related) experiences. Heck, if anything, DCA is closer to typical marching band than DCI is, and that's probably part of the appeal.

schedule wise yeah closer to band. but you wont have guys Walt's age in your hornline next to you :thumbup: