Dallas or Houston

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a person native to Houston for my first 23 years, I have to say BRAVO! And it's pronounced "Kir-ken-doll." :tongue:

SHHHH! You're giving away our secrets! :tongue:

That's a funny list but I grew up in Boston and lived in NYC.

Just recently moved to Houston.

The driving woes here are dramatically overblown.

It's really no worse than any other major city in this country.

You must be living in the wrong part of town.

Or is that the right part of town? :sad:

Dallas. Houston is one of the most god awful places on the planet. It's comparable to Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.

:worthy: As a born-and-raised metro Houstonian, I'll grant you that we don't have the scenery of Colorado or northern Arizona - or even Austin, for that matter. We also don't have double-digit unemployment, stratospheric taxes, and a collapsed housing market. What we do have is a fairly laissez-faire approach to zoning and business matters.

Yes, we have urban sprawl. (Believe me, we have sprawl.) But we also have extremely affordable housing. Plenty of transplants to Houston are pleasantly surprised at the amount of house they're able to afford.

Sure, we have sports and redneck culture. We also have fantastic museum, arts and theater districts. Alley and TUTS are very well-regarded theater venues. The Houston Symphony throws it down at every concert (there's a reason, for example, that Houston is one of the few cities that Video Games Live has come to every year since 2006). And I'll put Houston Grand Opera against any opera house in the world. Yes, that includes New York.

Look, heaven knows Houston isn't for everybody. The summers are stultifying, the 90% humidity wears out its welcome sometime in May, and I definitely get fed up with the commute from the exurbs. But right about now, I'm grateful to live here.

:worthy: As a born-and-raised metro Houstonian, I'll grant you that we don't have the scenery of Colorado or northern Arizona - or even Austin, for that matter. We also don't have double-digit unemployment, stratospheric taxes, and a collapsed housing market. What we do have is a fairly laissez-faire approach to zoning and business matters.

Yes, we have urban sprawl. (Believe me, we have sprawl.) But we also have extremely affordable housing. Plenty of transplants to Houston are pleasantly surprised at the amount of house they're able to afford.

Sure, we have sports and redneck culture. We also have fantastic museum, arts and theater districts. Alley and TUTS are very well-regarded theater venues. The Houston Symphony throws it down at every concert (there's a reason, for example, that Houston is one of the few cities that Video Games Live has come to every year since 2006). And I'll put Houston Grand Opera against any opera house in the world. Yes, that includes New York.

Look, heaven knows Houston isn't for everybody. The summers are stultifying, the 90% humidity wears out its welcome sometime in May, and I definitely get fed up with the commute from the exurbs. But right about now, I'm grateful to live here.

You don't have to tell me! You could fit the house In Gilroy, CA we lived in inside our house here plus more and at nearly have the cost! Unbelievable! My friends and family couldn't believe the pics we sent them of our house.

My choice? San Antonio.

Otherwise, Houston. It may be more humid, but it's usually a good five degrees cooler than Dallas. Also, Berry is a much nicer stadium to perform and watch shows in than Lake Highlands.

Well said!

What he said!

I have been in Houston 21 years now, and really wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It could be better if they ever start, and then finish quickly, expanding 290.

Plus, the Berry Center is 2 miles from my house! I love getting home a mere 5 minutes after leaving my seat.