Where are the best seats in Lucas Oil Stadium?

There's an article on DCI.org that states DCI are aware of the sound issues in Lucas Oil Stadium and are working towards solving them.

They refer to Carnegie Hall & La Scalla not having perfect acoustics. They also hint that in future, corps will need to work with and not against the stadiums acoustics.

To me this sounds like political spin for "there's very little we can do, so just live with it".

My question is to those who attended Finals in 2009.... where were you sitting and how did it sound?

Do you really want to go here? Check out the threads that came out right after finals, there was plenty of feedback...FWIW, I was on the 50 in the 200 section (206? 208? something like that). The sound wasn't as bad as I had feared, but it was nothing to write home about, either. The further away you moved, either toward the end zones or higher up, the worse it got. The only advantage to the place is that we were out of the elements, but the "elements" this year weren't anything we couldn't have lived with had we had an outdoor venue.

There's an article on DCI.org that states DCI are aware of the sound issues in Lucas Oil Stadium and are working towards solving them.

They refer to Carnegie Hall & La Scalla not having perfect acoustics. They also hint that in future, corps will need to work with and not against the stadiums acoustics.

To me this sounds like political spin for "there's very little we can do, so just live with it".

My question is to those who attended Finals in 2009.... where were you sitting and how did it sound?

LOL.....you think we're bad,....uh....look at Carnegie Hall! It's not perfect, and it's built for acoustics. So there. Nice try. Well, if you didn't like the oil can acoustics, don't go. Easy as that. If enough don't go, it will send a message far more effective than anything anyone can post on a forum chat board. There are some very good midwest shows in the lineup for next summer, so we do have other options. I'll be exercising those options. Money is the best motivator. If DCI bleeds money on the oil can, something will be done.

I was going to say the best seats were outside facing the parking lot but we sat right side as you watch, 23 rows up between the 20 and the 10, not bad for getting tickets a week before. It was an odd spot meaning we didn't have phase cancellation issues as some other spectators did. Lot of reverb but it seemed to wash around us which made it less irritating. That place needs to be stuffed with something that doesn't talk back--like large furry balloons?

LOL.....you think we're bad,....uh....look at Carnegie Hall! It's not perfect, and it's built for acoustics. So there. Nice try. Well, if you didn't like the oil can acoustics, don't go. Easy as that. If enough don't go, it will send a message far more effective than anything anyone can post on a forum chat board. There are some very good midwest shows in the lineup for next summer, so we do have other options. I'll be exercising those options. Money is the best motivator. If DCI bleeds money on the oil can, something will be done.
Unless, of course, DCI will bleed MORE money with an early contract termination....

Unless, of course, DCI will bleed MORE money with an early contract termination....

true that

I sat front and center, in row 14 of section 140. The sound was GREAT (no crazy reverb, very clear, and very powerful), and I've been to many drum corps shows both indoor and outdoor. The only drawback to the seats, are you can't see most of the forms, but I like down low better, because you get to see more of the technique. Anyway, section 140 is the way to go for drum corps.

Seating chart. . .

lucasoil_map.jpg

View from my seat. . .

3805559961_48ecd30866_b.jpg

6100_116836713506_651193506_2452513_7216590_n.jpg

After finding out my SUPER PREMIUM SEATS were on the 20 yard line with an obstructed veiw. (sec 442) :tongue:

After going to DCI and dealing with a very rude and clueless customer service person. (a blond woman. I wish I could remember her name. I'd put her on blast!)

I went on a hunt to find the best seat in a bad stadium.

I bought some 240's from someone for finals and sold my 442's to someone who had 643's

The Best Sections for sound but, not very good for watching drill- 140, inner 141 and inner 139. You'll still get the echo from the drums but you'll get that everywhere in the stadium. ( I sat here after the first break in Quarter Finals)

The Best section Over All- sec. 240 ( the higher you go the better the visual) The sound is not as good as 140 but you'll find the farther you get out side the 45's the worst it gets. ( I sat here after the second Quarter finals break and Open finals.)

340 is club seating, judges and "Important people"

Section 440 has echo. very good for veiwing visual though ( I sat there before the first break) With alot of ticked off people.

After Quarter Finals the ringing in your ears will last all weekend, so the echo may not bother you that much after the first day.

My friends and I still don't know if we're going back.

Good Luck!

There's a great artical in a UK newspaper ( I'll post it when I find it.) about HKS the company that designed the Oil Can and soccer stadiums in the UK for maximum crowd noise/ echo. Which is very important for football and soccer games.

Not so great for drum corps.

Oh, And Twitter does not work in the stadium! I tried to Twit after every corps.

Edited by boxingfred

While you feel very disconnected from the 'atmosphere' of the event...one of my favorite places to sit in LOS (at least during ISSMA/BOA) was in the very highest row of the stadium in the 600s on the 50. There is a lip/overhang that takes care of much of the echo and the sound up there isn't near as boomy as the 400/500 area. You obviously just take a small cut in volume. IMO