The Meaning of SUTA

Where? I only saw someone say "Strong Unity Ties All."

The person edited their post after receiving a PM.

And that was my guess. :worthy:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Potter actually mentioned it in an episode of the Field Pass this year, can't remember which one exactly

I've been told by members of the corps itself that it means "Shove it up their ***".

It doesn't matter if we know it or not...it only holds meaning to those who marched that drum corps. Just like traditions in any organization...it only holds true value to those who were/are a part of the organization.

The meanings of letters and words matter very little when compared to the value of shared experience and the knowledge that you will forever be a part of something larger than yourself. Language is arbitrary; belonging is not.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

The meanings of letters and words matter very little when compared to the value of shared experience and the knowledge that you will forever be a part of something larger than yourself. Language is arbitrary; belonging is not.

I completely understand where you are coming from. If someone learned the "secrets" of Phi Mu Alpha without actually going through the process, it wouldn't mean as much.

Exactly, which is why secrets such as these are silly, and I have no qualms about telling people them, or at least what I've heard they are.

Exactly, which is why secrets such as these are silly, and I have no qualms about telling people them, or at least what I've heard they are.

except that you're terribly misinformed on your answer :worthy:

personally, i think the true meaning of SUTA and any other bonding secret ritual is the shared experience of the corps in a nutshell. it is something profound and important and a way of continual recognition.

Hit the nail on the head totally.

To add to that sentiment above, the meaning of SUTA (or Splooie, or any other corps 'secret') is practically meaningless to those who haven't not marched the corps for a full season, paid their dues, put in the blood/sweat/tears/bonding with their corps. Only someone who has put in that kind of time with a corps would TRULY understand, appreciate, and honor what that meant.

The rest of us would more than likely say, "WOW; so that's what it means," think about it for a few minutes, tell all of our friends, and then pay no mind to it 30 minutes later. Those that earned the right to know what the meaning is of those traditions will appreciate the meaning, as well as their memories.

Any Regiment people posting?