Scheherazade

on the dvds, drum cam with the drum commentary. an education every time

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was my first DCI show that I ever went to. Hershey, PA in 04. I saw Crossmen, Blue Devils, and Santa Clara.

SCV was easily my favorite show of the night. (I knew drum corps, was marching Empire Statesmen that summer)

I loved SCV's brass book and drums. I don't like to use such strong words, but I hated the guard. Tacky was the word that came to my mind when I saw them in Denver. If the guard was not so tacky, they might have been in the hunt, but the Cavies had that James Bond theme down cold and BD was pushing the envolope with amplification ... great program for SCV in 04, but others were ahead just by a hair.

SCV 04 is one of the most under-rated shows. It fell under the radar due to the Cavaliers' great production of 007, and a rockin Cadet's show. Also, in the same breath, Phantom's '04 Piazzolla show has some great arrangements as well.

I don't think it is one of the greatest shows of all time , with that said it is one of my five favorite shows.

IT IS a great translation of a classical piece with a single theme , executed with supporting story visual from the guard.

The drumline is an all time great , horns are spectacular in almost every measurable category.

The marching book is extremely difficult , and therein lies the dirt they could never seem to completely eliminate,

but is a classic Rosander book - my favorite is the rotating low brass blocks leading up to the climax.

Check out Cavaliers 1995 or Phantom Regiment 1989 or Cadets 1987 if you enjoy a single theme classical piece translated to the D&B genre.

SCV 04 is one of the most under-rated shows. It fell under the radar due to the Cavaliers' great production of 007, and a rockin Cadet's show. Also, in the same breath, Phantom's '04 Piazzolla show has some great arrangements as well.

Eh, Phantom's show that year put me to sleep (literally, at the Indy show). But I'm surprised you didn't mention Blue Devils. That and 03 are my two favorite BD shows of all time! Phenomenal hornline!

Man, 04 was such an awesome year!