French horn to mellophone

kauliflower

I'm probably not going to get to touch a mellophone until July 2010, when I come to the states for university exchange, but I have been told that the mellophone has very different playing characteristics to the french horn (which I currently play).

Can anyone tell me first hand, what is it like going from the french horn to the mellophone?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably not going to get to touch a mellophone until July 2010, when I come to the states for university exchange, but I have been told that the mellophone has very different playing characteristics to the french horn (which I currently play).

Can anyone tell me first hand, what is it like going from the french horn to the mellophone?

Like going from Gran Prix racing, to driving in a demolition derby.

Mellophone more or less plays exactly like a sop/trumpet, with minor tuning differences.

Thanks buddy... Now I gotta clean the soda I just spit on the screen.... :worthy::worthy:

Knowing your background, LMAO!!

lol. sounds promising.

Mellophone more or less plays exactly like a sop/trumpet, with minor tuning differences.

and when combined with this, I take it you would not like the trumpet too much :P

Contrarich, do you think it would be worth playing around with the trumpet to get a feel for the mello then?

lol. sounds promising.

and when combined with this, I take it you would not like the trumpet too much :P

Contrarich, do you think it would be worth playing around with the trumpet to get a feel for the mello then?

For whatever it's worth I'll throw in my $.02. I'd continue playing around with the french horn. Maybe even a baritone horn. Just my opinion but, playing Mellophone is as much of a mind-set as anything else. Some converted sop/trumpet players (rumor has it) tend to overblow the Mello. (I think it's that sop Ego mentality :worthy:

May be a poor analogy but, I like to think that...Sopranos are the MEAT...Bari's are the Potatoes and Mello's are the GRAVEY that makes it all work. Just sayin........ :worthy:

Plays like a trumpet, but the sound... depends on who you're marching with. Some people like their mellos to sound like deep, dark french horns, other mello sections sound like another trumpet section. It is really weird how varied they get.

I was once told you dont so much play mello as you tame it. just learn to deal with it and force it to do what you want it to do.

They are like small children some times the horn will work with you other days it will fight you with everything it has. But it has made me a better musician playing one. Wouldn't trade mello for the world.

I played both for a short stint in 2005. French horn has a lot of resistence to help you play long phrases and higher notes. Mello is very open in comparison. Playing trumpet could mimick that to a point. At least get you a feel for the difference in air volume over time. I found mello much easier to play (but I normally play Euphonium). Range kind of sucked making the switch from marching french horn to marching mellophone. But you didn't feel like you were holding your breath for twice as long. And you could pump out a lot more volume with a lot less effort. There's also a slight feel of playing everything up and octave (technically you are, there's half as much tubing). But that okay since you have half as many partial to accidentally hit, and you're more apt to know that you're on the right one. Useful when you're in a loud hornline where it's difficult to single out what's coming out of your bell, versus everyone elses bells.

As far as a motorized vehicle comparison, it's more like a dirt bike (french horn) where you have to keep in mind how much your leaning into turns. And going to a dune buggy (mello), where you just floor it and if you bounce off a couple of things in the process, so what, that's what the roll cage is for.