Carolina Crown

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I'm happy for the support these drum corps receive in general, but do those corps really NEED that money as badly as other groups? I think not. Flame away.

Of course they need it! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

A big congrats to Rick V. and staff for utilizing Facebook to their advantage and righting wrongs back in Rockford. Now on to bigger and better prizes!

VOTE!

Edited by chaos001

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I'm happy for the support these drum corps receive in general, but do those corps really NEED that money as badly as other groups? I think not. Flame away.

I think nearly everyone has missed the point; it's not about the other drum corps in the hunt for that money, it's about the other charitable organizations. While I am very glad to see these corps (including my own) in the Top 100, there are other organizations outside of drum corps (believe it or not) that could've used this money very badly to successfully continue their own missions. Drum corps is a worthy cause but it's not quite the same as a charity.

I am frankly surprised to see that it was 3 perennial top-contending corps...and the Colts. I am not surprised whatsoever about the Colts because I know the kind of promotion that went on in the days leading up to the closing of the vote but I think it really says something about the support base this corps has despite their outwardly lower placements. A ring does not a drum corps make. :)

Congrats to these groups for getting the 25K.

I am a little disappointed that more corps didn't get the money. I wonder how many of you voted for 20 corps regardless of your affiliation.

What would have really been cool is to see 20 corps get the money :)

Lets all get behind these groups for the big 1MM Prize!

This is fantastic news!

Congrats to these fine organizations...but way disappointed that as many people voted for them and didnt spread the votes to include the corps that really NEED the money on a much deeper level. I know that every corps can use this kind of influx, but the corps that really NEED the money dont have the fan base or backing necessary to compete.

I realize the popularity of these corps and fan base and alumni support, and Eric Sabach's hard work and all, but also realize that these corps have fund raisers by having audition camps. The amount of students that try out and pay camp fees recently is a huge fund raiser for each of these corps, with the possible exception of the Colts.

Again great work to be in the top 100, but I wish as many people cared about Pioneer as much as they do about the top level corps ...sigh. 25K would mean alot more to a corps like that.

Donny

Sorry, would have rather seen other corps get the money, like ones that don't get $$$ from DCI for their placement and $$$ because of the lack of donations.

Hey Guys, each drum corps is set up to do different things besides what you see in the summer... be it a inner city youth choir, middle school honor band programs, helping schools with things they could not afford otherwise, running music camps etc... this money helps. When we make our presentation in January, I think you will be both surprised and encouraged by what some of the drum corps do that when the money gets tight, some of these programs can go away... It's not always about "what you see" that the drum corps do. Sometimes it is "what you don't see" in the summer that is another part of what we are all about. Are we preventing disease or war? No, but music touches lives in so many other ways.

It is the season... right?

Believe!

I voted for every corps I could find and a few other non-profits I care about. I am very happy to see 4 corps make it to the top 100, and hope that is just the beginning of more. There is always someone who needs it more, but I don't think any corps that won or lost would have used the money for anything other than serving their organization's purpose.

I hope in the next round we can ALL vote for these 4 corps and hopefully see them get some more money as well.