Probably beat to death....

How is it that in this day and age any corps can discriminate by gender? When I marched there were all girl corps, so there was a basis for all guy corps, but now, how do they not get sued so Susy the flag girl can march? Honest question, not looking for trolls, just an honest answer.

I know we've been through this before, but Suzy the flag girl has all but two of all DCI corps to march with.

The two remaining all-male corps have chosen to utilize their right to maintain their heritage and identity.

I'm always intrigued when anyone offers that those corps don't have the right to decide their own destiny.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we've been through this before, but Suzy the flag girl has all but two of all DCI corps to march with.

The two remaining all-male corps have chosen to utilize their right to maintain their heritage and identity.

I'm always intrigued when anyone offers that those corps don't have the right to decide their own destiny.

I'm with you, Boo... the court things in the '80's both scared and offended me. I still remember the first time I saw the Kilties come on the field with a coed corps.... a decision made to ensure corps survival is one thing; court imposition is another.

I side with the Cavaliers and Scouts on being all-male...but I'm surprised that someone hasnt sued yet...especially with how entitled people seem to be these days.

People HAVE sued fraternities and sororities for membership (among other things) but I think the courts have sided with the organization each time.

I side with the Cavaliers and Scouts on being all-male...but I'm surprised that someone hasnt sued yet...especially with how entitled people seem to be these days.

People HAVE sued fraternities and sororities for membership (among other things) but I think the courts have sided with the organization each time.

Can you imagine corps that need everything they make just to tour having to spend tens of thousands of dollars to defend their position in a frivolous lawsuit? That in itself could have the effect of seriously crippling said corps.

Can you imagine corps that need everything they make just to tour having to spend tens of thousands of dollars to defend their position in a frivolous lawsuit? That in itself could have the effect of seriously crippling said corps.

dont scare me! (shudders)

hopefully there are some ageouts out there in law school willing to work pro bono

I agree with the poster that said it came down to other opportunities.

If a female wants to join Phi Mu Alpha, they could just as easily have an opportunity for Sigma Alpha Iota or Delta Omicron.

The gender topic has came up in my house with my sister questioning the fairness of Freemasonry.

Once again, there's an alternative, Order of the Eastern Star.

Ok, I'd like to chime in with the legal reasoning:

In Boy Scouts v. Dale, the Supreme Court ruled that the Boy Scouts could discriminate against Dale (for being a homosexual) because they were a private organization and hiring a gay scoutmaster would go against their mission statement. Although it is outright discrimination, it is, but its constitutional.

This is also the reason battered women's shelters can discriminate against men, regardless of how much they might need help, and the reason why KKPsi and Tau Beta Sigma can accept male and female brothers and sisters, respectively, because their mission statement doesn't specify a gender.

I believe that if someone were to make an all female corps, that was acceptable, then more power to them.

--

I personally agree that this should be legal, because that's the way these two organizations have done things. If someone, like Crown, who has been integrated since creation, pulled something like this, i would heavily disagree.

As far back as 1973, Explorer Posts were allowed to be co-ed. The Post I belonged to was one of them.

As far back as 1973, Explorer Posts were allowed to be co-ed.

The Explorer Scout program accepted females before that time. The Racine Scouts added a female guard in 1969.

The Madison Scouts left the official Explorer Scout ranks in the early 90s. Since then, they have been Scouts in name only.

However, there are quite a few corps who have been affiliated with the Explorer Scout program - very often even without the knowledge of the members and their "Scoutmaster" instructors! This has been done for insurance purposes - the insurance rates for a Scout group are quite a bit lower than those for other forms of youth activities.

I never anywhere said they don't have the right to decide their own destiny. I, like one other person on here bring up the point that today life is all about being "fair, in the courts eyes" except when it interferes with someone elses agenda. I have no problem with them maintaining their identity, but was curious how the corps can sustain in the sue first ask questions later generation of today. Next thing you know someone will sue to wipe out all scores as it isn't fair to not let everyone win. Personally, I was just curious as to the ramifications of maintaining the status quo.