Probably beat to death....

I'm with you, Boo... the court things in the '80's both scared and offended me. I still remember the first time I saw the Kilties come on the field with a coed corps....

Wow, and look what happened to us. Twice.

Edited by BigDale

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me add some factual information to this thread in regards to the Madison Scouts.

The Madison Scouts are a registered Venturing organization of the Boy Scouts of America. The Madison Scouts are associated with the Glacier's Edge Council of the BSA (formerly Four Lakes Council).

You can read about Venturing's history here:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Ventur...ut/history.aspx

The corps was called at one time the Explorer Scouts and was part of the BSA as an Explorer group. But Explorer groups were absorbed into the Venturing organization structure in the late 90s. There is a part of the BSA called "Exploring" now, but this has no association to the former "Explorer" organizations. "Exploring" is focused on developing career-focused skills.

To add further confusion to the nomenclature, the Scouting Association of the United Kingdom used to have Venture Scouts and renamed that group Explorer Scouts in 2001.

Members of the Madison Scouts are registered with the BSA as part of our Venturing Unit. Many people cite the insurance angle, but that's not the case. The Madison Scouts carry our primary insurance external to the BSA coverage.

And now you know.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

I know we've been through this before, but Suzy the flag girl has all but two of all DCI corps to march with.

The two remaining all-male corps have chosen to utilize their right to maintain their heritage and identity.

I'm always intrigued when anyone offers that those corps don't have the right to decide their own destiny.

Suzy the flag girl?

No offense, but that's the attitude that inspires women to seek this sort of change.

HH

I remember a series of lawsuits in the '80's related to this.... maybe one of the reasons Madison became affiliated with several other corps in the Madison area for awhile.

No. Madison had a feeder corps dating back to the early 1950s (at least). The only corps in the Madison area that they "became affiliated with" was the CapitolAires, and that was simply because at the time, the two options were:

1. CapitolAires merging with Madison Jr. Scouts; or

2. CapitolAires folding.

Option #1 was selected, and the merged corps was named Capital Sound.

Suzy the flag girl?

No offense, but that's the attitude that inspires women to seek this sort of change.

HH

He was just using something I threw out as a way to start the thread. Don't blame Boo

FWIW, Madison did have one female member several years ago when they did the "Carmen" show.

Actually they had a female (little girl) back in the 70s (1970 I think) for the Alice in Wonderland Show.

:tongue:

Suzy the flag girl?

HH

No offense but only the bitter make that leap! There are bigger issues than someone hurting anothers delicate feelings but then again that's exactly the leap that is made by people who want equal rights to prove a point. It has nothing to do with being fair to the opposite sex.

Edited by Phantombari1

Suzy the flag girl?

HH

As the OP has pointed out, I was quoting him. It's not an "attitude" on my part and perhaps I should have put it inside of <<>>, but I thought everyone would have read the thread from the beginning.

And having read prior posts of the OP, I believe I can state the attitude you thought was employed is not representative of what he thinks, either.

As the OP has pointed out, I was quoting him. It's not an "attitude" on my part and perhaps I should have put it inside of <<>>, but I thought everyone would have read the thread from the beginning.

And having read prior posts of the OP, I believe I can state the attitude you thought was employed is not representative of what he thinks, either.

Sorry. My mistake. Though I read every post, I didn't read them all in a single sitting and thus forgot the prior reference.

HH

I never anywhere said they don't have the right to decide their own destiny. I, like one other person on here bring up the point that today life is all about being "fair, in the courts eyes" except when it interferes with someone elses agenda. I have no problem with them maintaining their identity, but was curious how the corps can sustain in the sue first ask questions later generation of today. Next thing you know someone will sue to wipe out all scores as it isn't fair to not let everyone win. Personally, I was just curious as to the ramifications of maintaining the status quo.

Thank you much for your clarification. Sorry if my statement came through as an implication towards you, as it certainly reads that way. My apologies if any offense was taken.

As I now take it, what you meant by your original post wasn't that these corps SHOULD be coed, but that you're a little surprised they have been able to maintain their unique identities in an era when some people file lawsuits when anything doesn't go their way.