Probably beat to death....

How is it that in this day and age any corps can discriminate by gender? When I marched there were all girl corps, so there was a basis for all guy corps, but now, how do they not get sued so Susy the flag girl can march? Honest question, not looking for trolls, just an honest answer.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it that in this day and age any corps can discriminate by gender? When I marched there were all girl corps, so there was a basis for all guy corps, but now, how do they not get sued so Susy the flag girl can march? Honest question, not looking for trolls, just an honest answer.

They are both private organizations, and as such can include or exclude anyone they want.

FWIW, Madison did have one female member several years ago when they did the "Carmen" show.

FWIW, Madison did have one female member several years ago when they did the "Carmen" show.

That was by choice on there part. I was just curious as to the people who wanted to march but couldn't due to gender discrimination.

They are both private organizations, and as such can include or exclude anyone they want.

Then can they still get covered by nonprofit status with the exclusion of women? Doesn't that violate some governmental beurocracy?

Then can they still get covered by nonprofit status with the exclusion of women? Doesn't that violate some governmental beurocracy?

No. They are just like fraternities and sororities, both of which are covered under not for profit status.

I do not know about the Cavaliers, but I know that for a very, very long time (and perhaps still) the Scouts were actually a branch of the Boy Scouts of America(I believe the Explorers, but I am not sure), and all members were "Scouts". As far as I know, Scouting has managed to maintain (although there have been legal challenges) same-sex because there is scouting available for girls with the Girl Scouts. Also, the corps are private organizations, and are not governed by the same level of inclusion rules and laws as schools are.

Although I am not aware of any major all-girl corps (the last I remember were the Ventures....quite a respectable unit), as far as I know there is nothing that would stop one if they wished to form.

Historically, there were many all-male corps, and the expansion and development of color guard brought many girls into drum corps. There were also corps who had all-male horn and drumlines, but all-female color guards. After a while, though, those corps eventually began to accept females into spots in the hornline and drumline.

I'm not aware if either of the corps (Mad and Cavs) have faced any legal challenges regarding this. However, I think that a girl who tried this would be hard-pressed to make her point. If "Susie" is good enough to march in a world-class corps, than it can be proven that she has many, many opportunities/places to march, as a girl.

The debate will rage on, though. I know that it has happened in Sports. Even though females have much opportunity to scholarships and sports at the collegiate level, you could have a female basketball player say, "I want to play on the UCLA men's squad, and I want an equal chance". Actually, if I were UCLA, I would give her a shot, and if she's good enough, let her play. However, what would be interesting is that they would probably have a strong legal case if they refused, even if she was good enough. The college has a women's team, so she can't say that she would be denied a scholarship and the opportunity to play. Her only argument would be that "I am at a level that is so much higher than that of other women, that I deserve the right to play at the highest level, which is men's, and compete in that arena. No legal precedent for that, and a judges ruling would be a complicated task. There have have been challenges in football, because it is not offered as a woman's sport, and some women have played, mostly as kickers.

I do not believe this should be an issue, although I could see it being one if there were only 5 corps in America and 2 were all-male, but that is not the case.

GB

84 Why do people constantly turn things into a descrimination debate. There are Boys clubs and girls clubs, Mens choirs and womens choirs. The list goes on and on.

What's wrong with having programs that focus on Men or Women? At least it's not based on race because we have laws in this country that punish discrimination, but also support affirmative action based on race. That's a real issue.