Lucas Oil Stadium Director Discusses 'Sound Ideas'

it's easier to stay away from finals than start a new circuit...especially since what corps will be brave enough to buck DCI?

Easier? True. More effective at getting our (No Dome) point across? Not.

There are corps out there who would be brave enough. Corps that have survived, and corps that could be revived!

Why not start fresh with some familiar names? Bring back some of the corps that have been driven into obscurity by DCI's policies? Can you name some corps that you would pay to see on the field again?

Blue Rock, 27th Lancers, Suncoat Sound, Commodores, Guardsmen, Bleu Raiders, Argonne Rebels, and many, many more!

These corps may be gone at the moment, but they CAN be revived! Look at how many "Alumni Corps" there are on the field these days! Some of them have movements going to bring back their Jr. Corps!

Courage is plentiful. $$$$$$$ is what we seem to be lacking.

If only we had the backing of a man like Mr. Cook, who took Star of Indiana to different fields and new horizons!

Even though Star ended up doing their thing "indoors", they did it on a scale that DCI has yet to match!

Brass Theatre, Blast, Shockwave, and more! Sold out venues! World tours!

Mr. Cook had vision and the courage to strike out on his own, apart from DCI!

True, having a lot of money didn't hurt their cause any!

It takes a lot of courage to start something new. Drum Corps has had, and STILL has, many people involved who have more than enough courage to do what is needed to

"KEEP DRUM CORPS OUTDOORS"

Just my humble opinion.

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't go to finals last year so didn't really have an opinion.... till I watched some videos posted a site to remain nameless.

Was it that bad in person everywhere? Or just where these folks seemed to be sitting? It seemed like whole sections of the sound were swallowed up and were none existent. Pretty much a trumpet only show for some except for some booming synth bass. And in soft sections all you could hear was the pit echoing around. I watched a few WC and OC so it wasn't just the corps size.

Yes it was that bad, except for the judges who we are told, thought it was perfect and had no problem, but that was after DCI came out saying they are working on the sound issues, ( that they themselves later tell us don't exist ). I still don't get it DCI. Is there a problem or not? If you fix the problem for the thousands of fans will that then hurt the judging, since they didn't have a problem previously. Your PR is a handfull......

Easier? True. More effective at getting our (No Dome) point across? Not.

There are corps out there who would be brave enough. Corps that have survived, and corps that could be revived!

Why not start fresh with some familiar names? Bring back some of the corps that have been driven into obscurity by DCI's policies? Can you name some corps that you would pay to see on the field again?

Blue Rock, 27th Lancers, Suncoat Sound, Commodores, Guardsmen, Bleu Raiders, Argonne Rebels, and many, many more!

These corps may be gone at the moment, but they CAN be revived! Look at how many "Alumni Corps" there are on the field these days! Some of them have movements going to bring back their Jr. Corps!

Courage is plentiful. $$$$ is what we seem to be lacking.

If only we had the backing of a man like Mr. Cook, who took Star of Indiana to different fields and new horizons!

Even though Star ended up doing their thing "indoors", they did it on a scale that DCI has yet to match!

Brass Theatre, Blast, Shockwave, and more! Sold out venues! World tours!

Mr. Cook had vision and the courage to strike out on his own, apart from DCI!

True, having a lot of money didn't hurt their cause any!

It takes a lot of courage to start something new. Drum Corps has had, and STILL has, many people involved who have more than enough courage to do what is needed to

"KEEP DRUM CORPS OUTDOORS"

Just my humble opinion.

Ron Gunn

i agree with your thoughts, but i'm being realistic. who has the balls and cash to take that chance?

and yes Mr Cook did branch out on his own...away from drum corps all together.

Step 1: "The sound is Lucas Oil is ####. No way I'm going to finals again until its outdoors where it belongs."

Step 2: "Well, it really won't make a difference one way or the other if I don't go. But no way am I buying those #### $125 seats!"

Step 3: "Eh, if I'm going to go, I might as well get the best seats possible. The sound sucks, but it'll be even worse in the cheap seats. But I just know that someone who isn't me will STAND UP and really make a difference!"

I've heard a lot of people have this conversation with themselves, both on and off this board. It's a perfect demonstration as to why holding finals in Lucas Oil was such a good idea for DCI. Most people who attended finals last year -- band kids and staff from the region who are used to the bad sound, friends and family of members who are going to be there no matter what, etc. -- don't care about the audio problems at all. Meanwhile, many of the few thousand legacy vets and super fans who were enraged at the sound problems have already talked themselves into going to finals anyways. Some will stand strong and refuse to go, so attendance will drop a bit -- but the savings gained from not having to find a different stadium each and every year will easily overshadow that lost ticket revenue, especially if the people who skip finals plan (as I do) to attend other DCI shows.

DCI deserves a lot of credit for even mentioning the sound issue. They could have simply ignored it . . . it wouldn't have made a difference anyways.

Remember, the only way you can convince DCI that Lucas Oil is a bad idea is to refuse to give them your money. It doesn't matter how loud or how long you complain, because when you buy finals tickets you approve DCI's choice of venue.

i dont think, at those prices, they are getting as many band kids as you assume. And I think many fans, myself included want to give DCI a chance in 2010. if it doesn't get a lot better, 2011 is when you'll see the fallout

Rifuarian, I am in complete agreement. DCI is brilliant in their reading of our collective willingness to suck down whatever they offer.

I decided years ago (after a 3rd try at enjoying the RCA dome) that I would never attend in a dome again. And I'll stick to my personal pledge. Would there were others...

i dont think, at those prices, they are getting as many band kids as you assume. And I think many fans, myself included want to give DCI a chance in 2010. if it doesn't get a lot better, 2011 is when you'll see the fallout

If I don't find out about real changes this year, I'm canceling my trip to LOS for the 2010 finals. I treally wonder how many others might be doing the same.

I guess we'll see in June when DCi tix start popping up for sale on here and Ebay

I guess we'll see in June when DCi tix start popping up for sale on here and Ebay

As I stated earlier, I will not be giving DCI $125.00 for a LOS Finals ticket. I will get myself a deeply discounted ticket ($35.00) and enjoy the VISUALS.

I plan to attend enough shows in good OUTDOOR stadiums to give me a very good idea of what the music should sound like prior to Indy.

I will never again attend the show in San Antonio.

I will never again attend the show in Atlanta.

2010 will be the LAST time I will attend a closed-roof DCI Championships at LOS.

There will be a lot of LOS tickets up for sale this summer. I personally know more than 100 people who normally order DCI Week tickets but have refused to buy tickets for this year's Championships. There will be a lot of people in Friends of DCI who will be looking to unload extra tickets this summer. I predict the situation will be similar to Madison in 2006. Lots of Super-Premium tickets available during Finals Week, and very few people willing to pay the $125.00 price tag for each ticket!

DCI--KEEP DRUM CORPS OUTDOORS!

Ron Gunn