TAKE OVER? hmmmm

see me

:smile: ouch.

:smile: Diction is everything my friends.

I wrote this. I officially apologize for any kind of damage this misinterpretation has caused to my organization/hornline.

This could be a little disjointed considering this is the second time I wrote this because I accidently hit the backspace button and erased all my stuff so forgive me.

I'm not advocating mob rule, nor a coup d' etet. That's ridiculous.

I wrote that to combat any possible apathy. I wanted to inspire the hornline members to become passionate and be involved with their corps in a manner that is more than just doing their jobs individually.

What I meant by the members running the corps mainly had to do with how we manage our reputation, as explained. Sure our reputation can be upheld by simply doing our jobs- performing to the best of our ability but why stop there?

Why not go the extra mile and try to make the experience better for everyone if something isn't working?

I mean, as I was reading the thread about Citations folding I felt sorry for the people who wouldn't be able to march.. how powerless they must have felt.

It's partially why I wrote this... as an inspiration for people to get involved because I am in favor of more checks and balances by Alumni and members to keep the organization healthy. Sure there's probably nothing that could have been done by the members of Citations to keep them from folding and I'm not saying that more oversight by the members could have prevented them from folding (though that IS a theory postulated by some on this board).. it's just the helplessness of the kids in general that got me thinking about ways to try and inspire my fellow hornline members, and the first thing that came to mind was: unity.

BUT my conservative side is screaming that it would also make things more inefficient. Trust me I know too much involvement can lead to a giant mess WHICH IS WHY I wrote,

Sure we can't dictate every little thing that goes on....

Yeah, we don't know everything but why not use that passion and our desire, to take a more pro-active approach to make the corps better?

I do not advocate self-righteousness nor and I-know-more-than-you attitude. I would expect people to know their limits but I'm probably in over my head there. :santa:

What I meant by pushing the staff is part of the symbiotic relationship I'm talking about. Sure some staffs are so pro that this relationship is irrelevant, at least based on the successes they have experienced so far. I'm not talking about them.

I want to meld the principles harness passion, integrity and accountability into a symbiotic relationship between the staff and the students, where we all learn from each other, to a greater extent than before. I want the hornline and the staff to be tight. I want there to be less disconnect, you know?

Now that I think about it, some might argue that that would undermine the authority of the staff. Some would say that that's not the role of the the staff. That's understandable and the point is well taken, and when taken to the logical extreme it would appear I'm advocating a kind of utopia here. A best-case, if-the-world-was-perfect scenario. :santa:

Oh well, a person can dream, can't they? Since actions speak louder than words and it WAS a public forum, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. Thank you for your time.

It is my wish that this thread be closed and removed from the board and all arguments pertaining to this topic be sent to me via PM. I hope I have settled your qualms and once again apologize for any kind of negative exposure that this has had on my organization, hornline, and corps as a whole. They are not the opinions of my corps, merely a single member. Me.

Edited by Impuls!vebari

Actually, it was the Japanese...

For those with YOUTUBE blocked by school/company filtering:

ANIMAL HOUSE dialog:

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

[thinks hard]

Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

[runs out, alone; then returns]

Edited by dannyboy

:santa: ouch.

:smile: Diction is everything my friends.

I wrote this. I officially apologize for any kind of damage this misinterpretation has caused to my organization/hornline.

<big snip>

Unfortunately, you gave the impression of a coup within the corps....it's all well and good to challenge the members to do their utmost to push the corps forward WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THEIR MEMBERSHIP....but it is NOT ok to imply that all the staff sits there with their thumbs up their collective ### while the performers actually run things.

For those with YOUTUBE blocked by school/company filtering:

ANIMAL HOUSE dialog:

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

[thinks hard]

Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

[runs out, alone; then returns]

"RrrrrrrrAAmmminnngggg SPEED!!!"

*Daniel Simpson Day....whereabouts: unknown.*

Great film....good mindless fun.....but that scene with the band marching into the wall still haunts me!!

:smile: ouch.They are not the opinions of my corps, merely a single member. Me.

It is a west coast thing, and a good one too. Be the best you can be, period. You should run back to your spots...take less water breaks..."real" hype on that last run through. Make it the best you have ever done. Perform always, even when walking onto the field for practice.

Own It, because once all the dust settles, it is just you and the judges.

Good luck this summer and see you on the field!

anarchy | noun

Main Entry: anarchy !a-nur-kE!a-+n@r-kE

Pronunciation: \ ˈa-nər-kē, -ˌnär- \

Function: noun

Etymology: Medieval Latin anarchia, from Greek, from anarchos having no ruler, from an- + archos ruler - More at - arch-

Date: 1539

Results

1 a. 1 aabsence of governmentb. ba state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authorityc. ca utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government

2 a. 2 aabsence or denial of any authority or established orderb. babsence of order : disorder - not manicured plots but a wild ∼ of nature - Israel Shenker

3. 3anarchism

Hi Everyone

My name is Martha. I am secretary on the board of directors of Impulse Drum & Bugle Corps. I don't post often however I know Matt as a marching member of Impulse and he is a good kid who was trying to pump up the membership. Someone decided to take a post meant for Impulse members and potential members only and put it on DCP. This post completely misrepresents what he was trying to do. I have spoken to Matt and would like this matter to drop. So I am asking everyone to let this matter go and the moderator to please shut down this thread.

Thanks

Martha