Best World Champion...

Best World Champion of the 2000s?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Here we are everyone. The Best of the Best World Champion from the past ten years. Make your vote count:

• 2000 - The Cadets (We Are the Future)
    • 2000 - The Cavaliers (Niagra Falls)
    • 2001 - The Cavaliers (Four Corners)
    • 2002 - The Cavaliers (Frameworks)
    • 2003 - Blue Devils (The Phenomenon of Cool)
    • 2004 - The Cavaliers (007)
    • 2005 - The Cadets (The Zone: Dreamscapes in Four Parts with a Door)
    • 2006 - The Cavaliers (MACHINE)
    • 2007 - Blue Devils (Winged Victory)
    • 2008 - Phantom Regiment (Spartacus)
    • 2009 - Blue Devils (1930)

Phantom Regiment 2008. Without a doubt.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God forbid that anyone other than the "Holy Trinity" of drum corps wins a championship except them. Only they can be excellent and deserving of awards. Blasphemy for all who oppose!

Dude, even if you take the DCP community (of which there are plenty of Phantom Phans like yourself) out of the equation, all you have to do is listen to placements from finals night to realize that a ton of folks that follow the activity were pumped as hell to see Phantom win in 08.

Breathe a bit. It helps.

God forbid that anyone other than the "Holy Trinity" of drum corps wins a championship except them. Only they can be excellent and deserving of awards. Blasphemy for all who oppose!

Are you kidding me? Seriously, are you seriously kidding me??

It gets a bit tiresome hearing all the "they weren't deserving...how dare they win...no one should be allowed to win unless they convince us that they're better than us (which is impossible!)" crap. Spartacus won because Regiment was greater than everyone else to those whom it mattered...the judges and phans.

you're also all drowning in a sea of sarcasm. :tongue:

Oh grow up. Seriously.

Phantom (and Crown while we're at it) get way more props than any other corps on this forum. There just happen to be a group of us that are a bit tired of the high school bando-ish hype that 08 Regiment gets. But to get defensive and cry foul when 1% of the population on DCP doesn't #### themselves for that show is pretty lame to me.

You can check my join date... since I've been on DCP I haven't seen much hype that isn't deserved. In fact I see more stupid Cavies hype than anything. They are the ultimate bando corps out there. Maybe it's been different in the past, but over the past year I haven't seen much hype. Unless it is preseason hype that all corps get. I haven't been on here during the season for obvious reasons though.

You can check my join date... since I've been on DCP I haven't seen much hype that isn't deserved. In fact I see more stupid Cavies hype than anything. They are the ultimate bando corps out there. Maybe it's been different in the past, but over the past year I haven't seen much hype. Unless it is preseason hype that all corps get. I haven't been on here during the season for obvious reasons though.

Yeah and those reasons are pretty clear in your post. Look, some of us are not trying to minimize Phantom's achievement whatsover. There are a lot of us in that "holy trinity" who actually love and appreciate that show and think they definitely deserved to win. It just seems that a lot of people seem to get raspy about the fact that the "holy trinity" seem to know what it takes to win and how to get there. No love lost on Phantom on my part, it just gets tiresome.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Dude, even if you take the DCP community (of which there are plenty of Phantom Phans like yourself) out of the equation, all you have to do is listen to placements from finals night to realize that a ton of folks that follow the activity were pumped as hell to see Phantom win in 08.

Breathe a bit. It helps.

This is not to diminish in any way, the achievement of PR 08... the stars aligned for them and their win was a big win for DCI in general. But (as has been mentioned before) the reaction to the "placements on finals night 08" was as much about "hurray for not being BD" as "hurray for PR". It has come to this and continued at Finals 09. ANYONE....who is NOT the big three will be received raucously and emotionally (particularly in LOS) from this point on. If Cadets would have won in 09 the reaction would have been much less than if CC had won. This is where the "reaction" at finals tells you very little, other than the prevailing attitude toward the "consistently winning corps de jour" and the overpowering need for DCI fans to see new faces at the top. Unfortunately, that must happen the old fashion way....!

What the BD organization showed the activity this year was, "we recognize that for us to win we've got to be the best in ALL captions (or nearly all) and quite possibly may need to "one-point" the field to disallow the fan "sit on our hands" strategy. So in fact, it is harder on BD, Cavies and Cadets to "stay" competitive than it is for other challengers to "get" competitive. That "competitive inertia" deal is rolled into here somewhere, but there is a definite benefit to being a non-winner within striking distance.

I think it does a disservice to Phantom's show to say that their audience reaction was more about "anybody BUT the top 3" than anything that happened on the field. That show had one of the biggest reactions I've ever seen in Allentown too! I voted for Phantom not because I think they were the best performers of the decade but because I think they had the *performance* of the decade. There were shows that were executed better (Cadets '05 was a powerhouse) but no one generated more effect. The show captured and held the audience from start to finish. GREAT design and GREAT performance. Those who complain that the crowd will never root for them to win because they have won so often would do well to study *why* 2008 Phantom connected so well with their audience night after night the entire season.

Edited by corpsband