Where Should I Go Now?

Okay so I have found myself in yet another pickel

I was planning on marching in 2011, with Capital Regiment, well they went inactive for 2010 and likely a few more years so my plans are now jumbled.

I live in Southwest Virginia and I am primarily a Saxophonist, I have played Euphonium for marching and now concert just this year so im not very seasoned as a player but i have good M&M technique.

I am stumped where i could go and try out and make it, it needs to be within driving distance because i do not have the money to fly anywhere.

If any of you have an idea of a Open Class corps near Southwest Virginia or even a World Class corps that a inexperienced person like myself could get in, any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

http://www.pioneer-corps.org/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if Forte is like Memphis Sound they'll pick you up. I remember picking up members in '09. Plus there are other members (and staff, yes?) in that area. Forte is a great choice! Especially since the audition in your area.

Also, we had a Contra player who only had 3 weeks on tuba before coming to Mempho and he became our best contra and just a beast of a player (not to mention marching THROUGH an injury he got in everydays).

I know the people there, they'll teach you and make you great, talking from personal experience.

Also, don't wait! Audition now and give it a shot! Don't be afraid and just go out there. Never hurts. (unless it's money, which ism ore difficult, but you could look for sponsors.)

Edited by SuperTrumpet64

Well, if Forte is like Memphis Sound they'll pick you up.

Isn't Memphis Sound / Forte taking 2010 off as well?

http://memphisdrumcorps.org/

Also, we had a Contra player who only had 3 weeks on tuba before coming to Mempho and he became our best contra and just a beast of a player (not to mention marching THROUGH an injury he got in everydays).

I know the people there, they'll teach you and make you great, talking from personal experience.

another story, I tried out for Motor City Percussion with only playing bass drums 2 hours before i auditioned and beat out several people that have been in it and playing drums for years so anythings possible.

Wow, this is getting pretty intense lol

I've talked to Pioneer on the phone before, I have been recruited by them etc. I cannot afford the plane tickets to and fro wisconsin

The main reason I am not marching this summer is because I have applied and interviewed, ironically enough today, but it is something i have wanted to do for a long time so i am doing it this summer.

The 2011 season is when I am marching, I would go to some camps for experience but the holidays etc have been a real mess for me and so on

I looked at Bluecoats and really like their program and especially price wise

Several folks have guided me and have seen me march and play, they agree i should start in Open Class and I am going to take that into consideration in my choice

I'm not limiting myself due to my talent, I am factoring in price, distance, and if a carpool is available

On a side note it really is amazing how helpful and friendly all of you have been with this and i appreciate it more than you may ever know haha

Thanks

Drum Corps is a four letter word in disguise. It begins with an "H" and ends with an "L". But if you survive it you get to hang out on DCP. :shutup:

Drum Corps is a four letter word in disguise. It begins with an "H" and ends with an "L". But if you survive it you get to hang out on DCP. :shutup:

lol thats funny Piper

Ya. Almost all of the staff from Capital went to Forte. Go to Forte. From what I have seen they already have a huge fan base on their facebook page. It looks really promising.