What year did you begin in drum corps?

Andyroo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a photo of the 65 "Peanuts" the other day in the "some old corps photos" thread. I think someone mentioned you could see Donny in it.

See it here,

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2718732

You wouldn't happen to have any pix of St. Joe's (non-peanuts ) circa 1954-1958 would you?

Paul

You wouldn't happen to have any pix of St. Joe's (non-peanuts ) circa 1954-1958 would you?

Paul

Paul, sorry, I do not. Most of the photos I have are from the mid to late 60's forward. But, if I do come across any I will let you know. (and also post them here)

• 2 weeks later...
1965 St Joes Peanuts!

Donnie! Did you say you played for peanuts? :thumbup:

2004 Empire Statesmen :thumbup:

I didnt see a drum corps show till 2003 when I went to watch a friend in the Statesmen... I was hooked!

1976 Erie Thunderbirds

ah yes. my buddy gus barbaro taught you guy's back then.

2004 Empire Statesmen :thumbup:

I didnt see a drum corps show till 2003 when I went to watch a friend in the Statesmen... I was hooked!

This is very similar to my story. I had friends who marched Reading in 2001 but being a trombone player I figured I'd never have the opportunity to play in one of these ensembles. I also had a bunch of drum corps recordings but I never saw a show live until 2004 when my college roommate (who had marched DCI) convinced me to go to DCI East for both nights. After standing in front of Blue Devils hornline for their chord progressions and victory concert, I knew that I wanted to march and that I'd learn a new instrument to do so. I went to DCA Finals in 04 and decided that I would march the next year. My first year was 2005 Reading and I guess I picked a good year to start! After taking 2 years off to finish college and get my first job started I started marching again in 2008 and I'm still marching today!

This is very similar to my story. I had friends who marched Reading in 2001 but being a trombone player I figured I'd never have the opportunity to play in one of these ensembles. I also had a bunch of drum corps recordings but I never saw a show live until 2004 when my college roommate (who had marched DCI) convinced me to go to DCI East for both nights. After standing in front of Blue Devils hornline for their chord progressions and victory concert, I knew that I wanted to march and that I'd learn a new instrument to do so. I went to DCA Finals in 04 and decided that I would march the next year. My first year was 2005 Reading and I guess I picked a good year to start! After taking 2 years off to finish college and get my first job started I started marching again in 2008 and I'm still marching today!

That reminds me of my first Corps. "1962"

(I had seen the Jersey States the year before in 1961 in Asbury Park,NJ )

Well, About 1/3 of the Corps I joined had NEVER even seen a Drum and Bugle Corps contest. It would be their first year as a "Competing" Corps. The V.F.W. Post, came up with the idea to take us by charter bus to see the "Preview of Champions" at Roosevelt Stadium, in Jersey City. They wanted us to see how a contest went, and what a Corps looked like (other than in a Parade).

Sunday, 2pm, June 3 1962, Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ

(in order of final score placement. As per a Program from the contest, "I STILL HAVE !")

EXH's

Les Grenadiers, Shawinigan, Que.

St. Patrick's Cadets, Jersey City,NJ

Juniors

1 Chicago Cavaliers

2 Garfield Cadets

3 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

4 Cambridge Caballeros

Seniors

1 Hawthorne Caballeros

2 New York Skyliners

3 Archer-Epler Musketeers

4 Reading Buccaneers

5 Guelph Royalaires, Ontario

( In My first Contest, a few weeks later at N.J. VFW States in Wildwood, NJ)

Edited by OldStyleCorps