What Non-top 12 Corps made you stand up and cheer?

FRAN!!! How could forget the Saints out of Edison. I know their placements at DCI weren't very high but boy did alot of great horn players come out of that corps and very entertaining. Another product from the legendary Skyliner Bucky Swan.

Oscar

Good call, George!! The Saints had some pretty solid corps in the mid-70s.......great hornlines, and like you said, a ton of talent. Jim Brady, Al Chez, Dave D'Andrea, just to name a few of their soprano players. Not too shabby at all for a local-circuit corps!

Fran

Speaking of great hornlines in a local corps:

I know I've mentioned them before in other threads, but I will again...

The Southern Tier Grenadiers from NY state....early-to-mid-1970s..... had a terrific hornline. They were usually relatively small in numbers, but player-for-player, they had one of the best drum corps brass sections I've ever heard.

They played some pretty high-rent stuff, too...... "Capriccio Espagnol"..... Mouret's "Rondeau" (known as the theme from Masterpiece Theatre)....tunes from the Broadway musical "1776".... among other things. Definitely a notch or two (or three!!) above the standard fare for a local-circuit corps back in the day.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

The Southern Tier Grenadiers from NY state....early-to-mid-1970s..... had a terrific hornline. They were usually relatively small in numbers, but player-for-player, they had one of the best drum corps brass sections I've ever heard.

They played some pretty high-rent stuff, too...... "Capriccio Espagnol"..... Mouret's "Rondeau" (known as the theme from Masterpiece Theatre)....tunes from the Broadway musical "1776".... among other things. Definitely a notch or two (or three!!) above the standard fare for a local-circuit corps back in the day.

Fran

I totally agree. Their Hornline was among the finest I have ever heard. I always loved to compete against them, because I got to hear them. For what its worth, they were a fine corps as well and very much under valued in NY.

I remember competing against them alot. I loved their uni's with the pith helmut. There was one year they had three bari's playing a trio and marching across the field with a high leg lift...I believe it was a Sousa March they played too. There was also a bass drummer who had a big bell attached to his drum. Was't that a Mark Turner arranged brass book? Or was it Steve Turner?

Fran

Jan (82 Knights) thanks you! You made her smile.

Garry in Vegas

awwww shucks ma'am!

I remember competing against them alot. I loved their uni's with the pith helmut. There was one year they had three bari's playing a trio and marching across the field with a high leg lift...I believe it was a Sousa March they played too. There was also a bass drummer who had a big bell attached to his drum. Was't that a Mark Turner arranged brass book? Or was it Steve Turner?

Ken Turner, I believe it was.

Fran

Forget those corps that have been in top 12

I was always impressed with Les Eclipse, Precisionaires, Charioteers, Marquis, Blue Rock, Florida Wave, Black Watch (WA).

Knights, Valley Fever, Avant Garde, Florida Wave, Alliance, Les Eclipses, MB3, Defenders, Marauders,......

G

1988 and 1989 DUTCHBOY

• 5 months later...
Forget those corps that have been in top 12

I was always impressed with Les Eclipse, Precisionaires, Charioteers, Marquis, Blue Rock, Florida Wave, Black Watch (WA).

Thanks, Keith.

I went to march there because of so many good friends and had a great time in some of their better placing shows in the mid-80s.

I really enjoyed the different Latin style music we played and some great folks came out of that organization.

Assuming we cannot include a corps who at any point made finals, some mine would include:

Squires, Les Eclipse, Florida Wave, Blue Devils C (too adorable), Pride of Cincinnati, and Memphis Blues Brass Band.

Didn't Nyer Jerry Kelsey do the brass book? I also believe Ken Brooks worked with them too. We taught Renegades (NY) in 1982 together.

Thanks, Keith.

I went to march there because of so many good friends and had a great time in some of their better placing shows in the mid-80s.

I really enjoyed the different Latin style music we played and some great folks came out of that organization.

Assuming we cannot include a corps who at any point made finals, some mine would include:

Squires, Les Eclipse, Florida Wave, Blue Devils C (too adorable), Pride of Cincinnati, and Memphis Blues Brass Band.