Average Div I Scores

Their 73 and 74 scores (66.19 for 24th place, and 79.15 for 9th place, respectively) dragged their average down.

Oh that makes sense now...

If you are using the last score of the year for each corps, regardless of whether it was finals or prelims, then the average is misleading. Corps that finished the year in 13-15 place often had higher scores than corps that finished 10-12 (when looking at prelims vs. finals scores). Finals scores always dropped for the bottom four or so corps, sometimes considerably. For example, in 1976 the 13th place corps in prelims scored an 82.75. In finals, the 12th place corps scored a 74.25. When you only have a maximum of eight scores to average, this makes a huge difference.

If you are using the last score of the year for each corps, regardless of whether it was finals or prelims, then the average is misleading. Corps that finished the year in 13-15 place often had higher scores than corps that finished 10-12 (when looking at prelims vs. finals scores). Finals scores always dropped for the bottom four or so corps, sometimes considerably. For example, in 1976 the 13th place corps in prelims scored an 82.75. In finals, the 12th place corps scored a 74.25. When you only have a maximum of eight scores to average, this makes a huge difference.

true, should probably have used all score from finals week, or just highest score. But I didn't start this I just finished the last two decades for the guy since I had the data easily at hand and already in excel which made sorting and averaging much easier. So I just followed the rules that he set in the first decades.

Edited by bluecoats88

Oh that makes sense now...

Yep....given that BD hasn't placed lower than 5th since the 9th place in 74, you COULD forget that they didn't always place high (although their placement rise was pretty meteoric).

Cadets had some iffy times from 72 to 80, including missing Finals...but after 82 they've been relatively consistent with pretty high scores, which helps the average (after 82 their lowest was 6th in 91)...it helps when you haven't scored at finals lower than 92.250 (1983).

BD hasn't placed below 92.70 since 1976 (interestingly...both corps won their first title with their first over-90 finals score)....it was the 1973 score that REALLY knocked their average. But that was their first year out (and 2nd as a drum and bugle corps)

And when did scoring change?

BD hasn't placed below 92.70 since 1976 (interestingly...both corps won their first title with their first over-90 finals score)....it was the 1973 score that REALLY knocked their average. But that was their first year out (and 2nd as a drum and bugle corps)

Actually, we scored 90.60 in 1980. But interesting points you raise, nonetheless.

interestingly...both corps won their first title with their first over-90 finals score)....

Not quite. Garfield won in 1983 after scoring 90+ in 82 finals.