News From DCI Winter Meetings

I love how everyone on here has this crazy sense of entitlement, like its DCI's job to let DCP know well in advance what the upcoming rule proposals are. We dont vote anyway, we'll find out evntually

Not "everyone"....not me, anyway. My own view is that an organization like DCI that is dependent on fan revenue would be best served by communicating with their fan base. Posting rule change proposals in advance (and considering fan reaction to them) is (are) way(s) in which such communication might help keep that fan ba$e healthy.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard it was going to be the Cleveland Orchestra in the pit :)

They're on strike, so I don't think so.

Er...WERE on strike.

This is but one reason that I hope the Scouts are wildly successful this year...so people can say "whaaaat?? You mean you don't have to be esoteric and artsy to be successful? The crowd actually LIKES melodies that last more than 4 bars??"

might kinda put a lot of this nonsense to rest. I've always felt that drum corps had just sort of "lost it's way" so to speak since the end of the 1990's. I thought they started to look to some of the wrong people...people with an agenda...and looked to the future (futuristic) rather than look back at what made them successful. Hopefully that tide has begun to turn.

I won't hold my breath.

This is but one reason that I hope the Scouts are wildly successful this year...so people can say "whaaaat?? You mean you don't have to be esoteric and artsy to be successful? The crowd actually LIKES melodies that last more than 4 bars??"

might kinda put a lot of this nonsense to rest. I've always felt that drum corps had just sort of "lost it's way" so to speak since the end of the 1990's. I thought they started to look to some of the wrong people...people with an agenda...and looked to the future (futuristic) rather than look back at what made them successful. Hopefully that tide has begun to turn.

I won't hold my breath.

While I understand where you are coming from, this makes little sense to me. There were several corps recently, especially last season, that had melodic shows using music that is widely popular (and some may say over used).

this.

Beat me to it.

While I understand where you are coming from, this makes little sense to me. There were several corps recently, especially last season, that had melodic shows using music that is widely popular (and some may say over used).

That's why I said "perhaps the tide is beginning to turn". Maybe we are seeing a renaissance of fan-friendly shows...maybe not. That remains to be seen. Unless people at the top are complete idiots, they understand that DCI is funded by butts in seats. If you aren't putting butts in seats like you used to, then you aren't gonna stay around very long. Some might say we need to add instrumentation, membership numbers, amplify the pit, etc. to draw crowds. Others (myself included) say that we should just give the crowd something they can relate to and understand; get back to what made you successful in the first place.

Some of the rules changes lately havn't translated to increased growth and revenue like many may have hoped. Most likely because they weren't fixing what was broken. Cater to the crowd...that's the meal ticket. Anything less only serves to stroke egos while the activity continues to hemmorage.

Just got an email about rule proposals. Let the flames commence.

so...sound engineer in the box..is just talking by phone, or will wires be running up the aisle too?

the proposal is scary vague