Cavaliers Hornline

It's simple: Many many many drum corps fans think that crass and unbalanced = loud. Therefore well balanced and good tone production is inferior in terms of volume. It's just a difference between pretending to know anything about pedagogy and really knowing it.

And for an argument on volume, you really need to hit up the 2005 closer again. Knock your socks off energetic and loud loud loud.

Any fan that thinks that thinks" crass and unbalanced= equal loud ", would most certainly be mistaken.

"loud ", by definition, is represented by" volume."

The degree of " volume" is unrelated to the crassness of the sound, as well to whether or not the brass sounds between sections are balanced or " unbalanced ".

Anyone that pretended to know anything about ( brass ) pedagogy would never make a comment that " crass and unbalanced = loud ", as " crass and unbalanced " brass playing is unrelated to the loudness of a musician's playing. ( for example, some brass lines can be " crass and unbalanced " even at the pianissimo level )

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you guys think they will sound in 2010 with a new brass caption head? They're obviously in good hands, but do you think their sound will change?

Edited by DCIfan90

I'm kind of an oldie, but I have a question about this. What difference does it make if a corps is loud vs not loud? Does a not-as-loud corps mean they're not as appealing? I'm always curious to find out what the generations before/after me think of this. I marched in the late 80's/early 90's and played in some loud hornlines. but since I've been a spectator on the other side (almost 18 years now) I have found that whether it's "loud" or not, doesn't and shouldn't matter at all. I listen for clean lines, integration from horns to drums to visual and chords that are in tune and balanced. Whether it's loud or soft doesn't matter to me, personally.

I ask this since it comes up on this forum all the time. I'm not a huge cavalier fan, but they get dumped on a lot for not playing loud... according to many people. But what does that mean? so what if they don't play loud, so long as it's good and high quality. Has there ever been a topic started about a corps playing too loud? Or has this community gravitated towards an opinion that loudest is best and anything less is mediocre - thus worth starting a topic on?

Trust me, I have read many of the opinions and discussions on this topic through the years, but what gets thrown around all the time are comments regarding "quality over quantity" or something along the lines of it being a different philosophy. Obviously this is a place to discuss our opinions but I get so confused on this particular subject because I cannot seem to find a reason to find fault in any corps or staff for what people consider to be "soft" or conservative playing.

My favorite moment in drum corps history was the last 30+ seconds of the 2002 cavaliers ballad. I don't know, or care, how loud they played on a dB level or in comparison to other corps, but I was emotionally stunned by what I heard. I had not been to a DCI finals in about 4 years at that time, but that was the "loudest" drum corps experience I've ever had to date. I have a lot of respect for the cavaliers and I love what they have done in the past 10 years. Not my favorite shows year after year, but boy, they are amazing and I look forward to hearing them no matter what they play.

I never understood the " loud " angle in Corps. I have no idea what " loud " has to do with one's enjoyment or non enjoyment with a Corps show. Some Corps have played loud and were boring, some played really " loud " and were entertaining as heck. Other Corps played with low volume and were boring, others played with low volume and were very entertaining.

I always think it's not WHAT you play, and it's not the VOLUME of the Corps playing..... it's how appealing it is of WHAT you play.

But after reading some posts from fellow fans, it appears some fans like their brass lines to play " loud ", and others want Corps to have low volume and not play " loud ". It's really a preference on volume, it appears to me. But for me, the" volume " level is not much of a factor in whether or not I like a show.

Edited by BRASSO

The main reason I was asking is that I feel like they have that crass feel everyone loves in 2002, 2003, 2004 (especially), and 2005.

I did significantly notice the difference in early season and later season though (in 2009). I remember early season laughing with my friends "Was THAT their impact point." at the first show or two i saw them in, and then later (Murfreesboro), telling my middle school band director that they werent loud, and being taken aback by the sound they pumped..

Edited by TheClutch

The main reason I was asking is that I feel like they have that crass feel everyone loves in 2002, 2003, 2004 (especially), and 2005.

I did significantly notice the difference in early season and later season though (in 2009). I remember early season laughing with my friends "Was THAT their impact point." at the first show or two i saw them in, and then later (Murfreesboro), telling my middle school band director that they werent loud, and being taken aback by the sound they pumped..

An impact point ( in my opinion) has it's best effect via the build up contrast, the articulation, the atttack, and then the release. The level of doing this all in unison generates the most effective " impact " it seems to me.

The volume level seems a non factor if the other components above are executed well.( again just my opinion )

Edited by BRASSO

How do you guys think they will sound in 2010 with a new brass caption head? They're obviously in good hands, but do you think their sound will change?

Does anyone know if John Pasquale was not asked back or did he decide not to return? Honestly, I feel Cavs have one of the best playing brass lines in the activity. It would be nice if they played with a little more volume though. btw...love the mello line on the IYM pieces, best mello sound in modern dci, imo.

I disagree on the IYM's. The sound seams dead to me on those mouthpieces.

To me the best sounding mello line in recent years was bluecoats 07.... they were fabulous

Oh... and John Pasquale was not retained.

Just wait until Bruckner8 gets in here and schools everyone on the physics of sound and music...

I disagree on the IYM's. The sound seams dead to me on those mouthpieces.

To me the best sounding mello line in recent years was bluecoats 07.... they were fabulous

Oh... and John Pasquale was not retained.

theyre going with Karl Hammond this year instead