Cavaliers Hornline

That may be the most ridiculous comment I've ever read here. Have you ever even heard "Nuttville" a la '79 Spirit? Please let me know what middle school could possibly replicate the soprano feature midway through that song, so that I can relocate there and get my offspring into their music program.

absolutely.........Nutville was a tough chart!! Throw in the dynamics that were asked of them, and it's really tough.......

GB

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely.........Nutville was a tough chart!! Throw in the dynamics that were asked of them, and it's really tough.......

GB

As a point in fact, the local middle school jazz band HAS performed the original Nuttville in concert. Granted, this is a very competitive music program, but still, the 14 year olds could handle it. I can't find video of it, but

it fine.

The gauzy view of the past can be deceiving. Spirit's drill in '79 was considered 'pretty easy' by the cognoscenti of the time (go find your copies of Drum Corps World from that year, and a number of reviewers were commenting on it, though most folks ALSO took into account that this was a program that was still in its infancy). Keeping the hornline in position to blow made sense for them, given that the focus of their presentation was on volume, but its an element that should be considered when trying to compare 30 year old apples to apples from a more recent harvest. An easier drill at a relatively relaxed tempo ("Nuttville" is performed about 144 bpm, which would make it 'ballad pace' today :worthy: ) vs more intricate writing and a much higher physical demand in the visual program today.

It was a great horn chart at the time. Float's percussion chart still kicks butt, and it worked really well for them as a programming choice. Kudos to them back then, but it doesn't hurt us dinosaurs to recognize that as with many sports, things today are moving a little further, faster and higher than back in our day.

Edited by mobrien

Ya, that is exactly what he's saying? :worthy:

The wussification of drum corps continues I guess. What the heck ever happened to perfect practice makes perfect...i.e. practice like you're going to perform. What ever happened to laying it on the line every night, holding nothing back, perfoming at 110% always?

I seriously doubt he is saying do away with everything but finals week, but I agree 100% that a paying audience should receive nothing less than the best effort, not some "we're still practicing so you'll have to come to finals to see the REAL show" attitude towards drum corps.

Why? Why would the members perform anything less than their best? Why would the staff expect anything less than their best?

Edited by DAvery

So you are saying there is no need for the season? Let's just have the championships and be done with it.

As others have rightly corrected you, I was saying that they should perform with the same emotion, energy, impact, etc. at every performance as they would at finals. So, like I said, practice with all the control in the world but give the paying fans their money's worth and aim to blow down the house at EVERY performance!!!!

Why? Why would the members perform anything less than their best? Why would the staff expect anything less than their best?

I agree. But it depends on how the individual defines "best" at that point in time. It just feels that the Cavies' definition of best in the early season is "controlled to the point of being emotionally somewhat flat and boring".

I guess for me it boils down to this. If several other corps are able to come out and play twice as loud early season as Cavies, AND do it without resorting to crass out of tune unbalanced playing, then what the heck is Cavies problem and excuse for not being able to accomplish the same thing? Are you seriously going to argue that Cavies are the only WC hornline playing with quality sound in June/July.

Gee, doesn't every fan at every show pay hard-earned cash for a ticket to THAT NIGHT'S performance? If I go to any other musical or theatrical performance in the second week of that show's planned eight-week run, I expect to see as much emotion and dynamics in that performance as in the final performance.

You want to REHEARSE with great control and not much volume or minimal dynamic contrast, great. But I'm getting tired of watching flat, unemotional performances with minimal dynamic contrast from the Cavies until a few weeks before finals. And the fact that they never get slammed by the Music GE judges early in the season for doing this is just laughable.

As others have rightly corrected you, I was saying that they should perform with the same emotion, energy, impact, etc. at every performance as they would at finals. So, like I said, practice with all the control in the world but give the paying fans their money's worth and aim to blow down the house at EVERY performance!!!!

No corps looks or sounds the same on finals night as they do early season. Sometimes we forget that this is an educational venture as well as entertainment. These kids are paying a whole lot more money than you are for an opportunity to learn. (Are you really saying that they should rehearse with one approach and perform with a different approach?)

Any drum corps fan who's been around a couple years knows what you're going to get in an early season show. If you find it an unsatisfactory experience, don't go.

(Did you ever notice that Broadway shows don't start on Broadway. They do an out-of-town run where they work out the bugs.)

I agree. But it depends on how the individual defines "best" at that point in time. It just feels that the Cavies' definition of best in the early season is "controlled to the point of being emotionally somewhat flat and boring".

So you disagree with the approach they've chosen. That's your right. It's also their right to choose the approach they feel is best.

One thing we should take note of. The "they" you are referring to was the brass staff and they (the cavaliers) have hired a new brass staff who may or may not approach things the same way as they did for the last 9 years with the previous brass team. So, since some changes have been made in that area, maybe we should reserve judgement about the brass approach/philosophy until we hear what they sound like this coming season.

So you are saying if they are not playing loud, they lack emotion, energy, impact, etc? I would contend they do perform with the same emotion and energy at the beginning of the season as at the end. In fact, I would even go further. I believe their approach has been the same in November as it has been in August. Play with a quality sound first and never, ever play past the point (i.e. louder) where you make a less than perfect sound. Why would you not do this?

Edited by DAvery

I guess for me it boils down to this. If several other corps are able to come out and play twice as loud early season as Cavies, AND do it without resorting to crass out of tune unbalanced playing, then what the heck is Cavies problem and excuse for not being able to accomplish the same thing? Are you seriously going to argue that Cavies are the only WC hornline playing with quality sound in June/July.

To answer your silly question, yes. Except that includes August as well.

To answer your silly question, yes. Except that includes August as well.

Ahhh, finally the elitist position is revealed! Crown, Devils, Cadets, SCV, Bluecoats, etc. etc. etc. might as well pack up and go home. Sound quality is something reserved for Cavies, the rest of you suck.

Edited by BozzlyB