Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

I am stoked to see Madison this year. Unfortunaltey I probably won't get that opportunity. As I live in Canada, and do not yet have a passport, getting to a show would be rather difficult. And also since finals are not broadcasted anymore it's likely to be a while before I see\hear the show.

I, too, live in Canada. I've made it down to Buffalo for the past couple of years, and I'm planning on going to Erie this summer. But I've also subscribed to the Fan Network, as it enables me to see the shows as they progress throughout the summer. So, as others have said, especially if you can't get to any shows this summer, DCI's Fan Network is very much worth the subscription price.

I always dug the citation cords. nice old school touch. still not sure about the spats though. might be a little over the top.

Spats I think are the one thing which is certainly going to be part of the '10 uniform.

I particularly am excited to hear Madison this year, out of curiosity, they are trying to amass a giant contra line this year. I counted 18 in the latest video of their last drill camp, and i hear they were looking for 20!

Hrmm...just picking on one of those, but harmonic journey had a pretty obvious theme. It wasnt all that deep, but it was there... As for the other ones you mentioned (both madison)...not sure...

Correct on Harmonic Journey, and A Drum Corps Fan's Dream (both of them) had an obvious and very clear theme. 95 was a day in the life of a bull fighter and 96 was obviously built around a particular style of music, which is without question, a "theme".

98 Scouts doesn't have much of a theme that I can pick up on, but that's one of the few.

Most of the shows people throw out as being theme-less aren't.

95 was a day in the life of a bull fighter

This is what we were told by Chad Duggan one afternoon when rehearsal got washed out by a thunderstorm.

Chad and the design team had this in mind when they put the show together, but they didn't want the show to be so complex that we'd have to tell audiences that this is what the show was about:

El Toro Caliente: A Bullfighter's dream about the ultimate fight.

Concierto de Arunjuez: The Bullfighter confronts his mortality.

La Danza: The Party before the bullfight.

Malaga: The fight.

So there was definitely a 'plot' to the '95 show.

I never heard any similar 'analysis' of '96. My opinion, and JUST my opinion, is that the '96 show was shaped something like this...

"Wow, last year sure was great, how can we do something similar? Well, we're all listening to this awesome Arturo Sandoval ('A Mis Abuelos') tune on the buses, let's start with that...Hmmm...'Bolero' was a great warmup last year [and it was...if you've never seen the '95 show with what the kids now would call 'the preshow' see if you can find it somewhere], let's try it on the field....Audiences, and the brass line, loved our percussion feature last year, but the drum line would actually like to have a feature this year, so let's try again, and compress each brass section's feature into one brass lick at the end....and, hey we haven't played Malaguena in a while."

And somehow some John Tesh got thrown in, and bright orange paddle things. It was still an awesome show to play. I'm not sure that it had quite the 'plot' that '95 did...but I'm really not sure that - even today - you NEED to have a 'plot.'

You certainly can have a plot-driven show succeed, but I'm really glad that Madison [we gotta get this discussion back to the topic at hand] seems to be creating a show this year by saying "this is the music we want to play" rather than "this is the story we want to tell." Because, I would guess, that at least a good portion of the music for '95 was picked before the design team came up with the "day in the life of a bullfighter" idea, not after.

You certainly can have a plot-driven show succeed, but I'm really glad that Madison [we gotta get this discussion back to the topic at hand] seems to be creating a show this year by saying "this is the music we want to play" rather than "this is the story we want to tell."

Hear, hear!

kids were told they were in for a whoopen this weekend.. camp

Edited by Cop

kids were told they were in for a whoopen this weekend.. camp

I saw several pictures from this weekend's camp. Looks like everyone survived! :thumbup:

Anyone who was there this weekend care to give an update??

And people are welcome to feel however they want about the corps practicing in Bloomington, but I think it's awfully nice to see them on an actual field (rather than a gym floor) working drill in March. Any head start that usually only benefits those out west or in the south is a GOOD head start. Very well may make a world of difference in how the season starts. :grouphug:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

• 2 weeks later...