Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

Doesn't the rep they chose (Rhapsody and Slaughter) constitute some kind of Theme? How can there be a show without a theme? Without a theme it just becomes a concert without any cohesiveness in the performance. Unless, that’s the kind of things you want... But really, I think the pieces do "fit" together nicely in a program which means that there MUST be some kind theme that lead the designers to choose those two pieces. We just might not know about it or they might not announce it.

Mason said in one of his interviews that the music is about reestablishing the Scouts brand. He mentioned that the last time the corps played Slaughter and Rhapsody together was 1975. Not coincidentally, he was a member of the corps and they won DCI.

Do we know for a fact that they are using throw-back uniforms? Back to when...what do they look like?

I can easily rebute this, yet again.

Drum corps had styles and the shows were based on styles, not necessarily themes, back then. Since we are talking about the Scouts, please tell me what the theme of one of their more famous shows, in 1981, is about? The reportoire that year was Numero Uno, Malaguena, Down Wind, and Through the Eyes of love (Ice Castles). They finished in 3rd that year.

You didn't need themes back then because corps had styles. The shows were built around that corps' style.

No, there was a theme. It was: Striving to be the best so that you could impress

the Girl from Malaga, then later, news would travel that both of you won the Pairs

division in an Ice Skating Competition. :blink:

You mean the Scouts really cant find anyone who has spats from the 1970's??? Then again, there aren't many Scout alumni in Bloomington Indiana.

To be fair not many of us still have our spats. I had two pair which long ago disappeared. Bunch of people came through however and I posted a link to a company who currently makes the spats/leggings. Will be very anxious to see what they come up with.

I can easily rebute this, yet again.

Drum corps had styles and the shows were based on styles, not necessarily themes, back then. Since we are talking about the Scouts, please tell me what the theme of one of their more famous shows, in 1981, is about? The reportoire that year was Numero Uno, Malaguena, Down Wind, and Through the Eyes of love (Ice Castles). They finished in 3rd that year.

You didn't need themes back then because corps had styles. The shows were built around that corps' style.

Well, I would say Madison's style in 1981 was the unifying or dominant idea (theme) of their 1981 show. But even If we wouldn’t be able to clarify the theme of 1981’s entire show, we can say that each piece that Madison played had a theme and the way those four themes interacted with each other would be the summation of 1981’s theme. The activity probably has gotten a little carried away with more substantial theme's and show concepts and we do generally assume that a corps will have a theme like "The Factory" "1930" or "Imagine". But frankly, in terms of 1981 scouts, they didn't have an announced theme or title and simply played good drum corps in their unique style. This was the theme of their show! BUT, it IS completely useless to announce this or give it a title since the actual theme doesn't help the audience appreciate it any more or less. My argument is just to put down the idea that NO THEME is not a viable option for this performance art but NO ANNOUNCED THEME is perfectly viable.

But bottom line is that style can be a theme. If style is the unifying dominant idea that they build the show around than that’s the "theme" but knowing this is useless. All I'm trying to say that is that musical compositions and shows have some form of a main theme or smaller different theme's throughout their performance (like a one piece has one theme and another piece has another).

As long as Madison TRULY turns out to be a strong/ better corps this year I COULDN'T care less (please just leave this be :P) about what their announced theme is if they have an announced theme at all!

I suspect the theme of this years show is the same theme all drum corps implicitly had years ago, that is "Music and marching that you will enjoy listening to and watching".

:blink:

WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE A THEME?????

Can't a corps just go out and play a **** show with just some **** good music w/o there having to be a **** theme now? When did this happen? I don't recall seeing that in the rule book. Hoppy?!?!?!

I think there might be some confusion between "theme" and "story" - separate it into those two terms when thinking about it. Having a theme to tie the show together is fine, even if the theme is "jazzy music from the early 20th century." I think these days you have to have a theme to give the listener something to latch on to, but you do *not* have to have a story.

Mike

To be fair not many of us still have our spats. I had two pair which long ago disappeared. Bunch of people came through however and I posted a link to a company who currently makes the spats/leggings. Will be very anxious to see what they come up with.

I have all of my 1981 uniform accessories, spats included, in a box. I consider the contents of this box one of my prized possessions.

I have all of my 1981 uniform accessories, spats included, in a box. I consider the contents of this box one of my prized possessions.

We didn't wear spats by the time I marched with Madison, but I do still have have my gauntlets. Also one of my prized possesions.

im just going to say that im looking forward to see the scouts on the feild with great music!!! now my next hope is that they do a drum corps fans dream part tres :thumbup: