Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

The whole throwback uniform change and lack of show design just seems like competitive suicide in today's drum corps world. If they can make it work competitively I'll honestly be incredibly surprised.

Not exactly amplified voice, narration, or atonal music, but I still consider it very "out there" considering where we are in show design nowadays.

...then again I haven't even seen the show yet. :blink:

Throwback unform change is suicide? >>>see The Cadets. Hasn't hurt them one bit.

Lack of show design? >>>I am sure they didn't bring Vanderkolff and Mason aboard for nothing.

Out there? >>> see Spartacus, a retro show, BD with the 1980's wings in 2007, Cadets WSS. Scouts doing tunes they have done in year's past is nothing new.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Mason made it pretty clear on the goal's for this corps this year, in his Nov interview online and also with Steve Vickers. It's all about getting a temperature of where the corps is at and getting the madison brand back. that excitement.

I see no risks being taken here. They placed 15th last year. Not much risk when you place that far back. Risk would be if they had been in the top 5 for the last however many years and going a totally different direction, and messing with success.

So because they have come out and given their rep. but not a title or storyline there is no direction, and they killing themselves competitively?

Plus, as it's been pointed out-the Cadets haven't changed their uniform much in oh, 70+ years...

I think it's wonderful when we "know" whats going on because we see a few camp videos, hear ideas about a uniform, know the names of music being played, and still we believe we "know" what is going on.

Yay! for making assumptions about people and groups we don't know about!

I think NR_OhioBando has made it abundantly clear that he's not wishing the Scouts bad luck or even insisting that they'll do poorly, he's simply saying it's a weird thing not to have a show title/theme for the season since DCI hasn't seen anything but themes since like 2003. I agree that it's a strange thing and could throw a small wrench into the judging system, and there's a possibility the judges won't stand for it. I think it'll work out fine, but I see where he's coming from, it's an interesting and stimulating point to bring up, and we can stop the bashing party now :P

Edited by Stryfe

How can not having a "theme" throw a wrench into the judging system? If that's all it takes, then the system is a sham to begin with!

A-hem.

The one thing that encourages me about the Scouts for this year is the people in charge seem to have a clear idea of where they are going and how they are going to get there. I feel that is something that has been missing in Madison for the better part of the last decade.

Now, I don't think anything they are doing is particularly innovative or risky as has been suggested elsewhere. Someone has already stated that there is no risk-taking when you finished 15th the previous year. I agree. If the Scouts had been contenders lately, a retro uni and a throwback show might be a risk. However, the Scouts do have a greater historical legacy than some other corps that finish in the vast drum corps desert that lies between 12th place and 24th place. Plus, the guys in charge have reputations to uphold.

As far as the uniform is concerned, I like the idea. As long as they stick to it. I have grown rather tired of the revolving door of Scouts unis. The 2007 uniform was particularly bad.

As far as the show, I've never been in love with Rhapsody in Blue. I do however dig Slaughter on 10th Avenue. I don't think it would be a horrible thing if they didn't have a theme.

I still maintain that it is going to take more than one year to turn things around. If the Scouts put out an entertaining program that is widely appealing and relatively clean, they will be in great shape for 2011. I don't see them any higher than 13th.

I remain cautiously optimistic about the 2010 Madison Scouts.

I don't think it would be a horrible thing if they didn't have a theme.

Doesn't the rep they chose (Rhapsody and Slaughter) constitute some kind of Theme? How can there be a show without a theme? Without a theme it just becomes a concert without any cohesiveness in the performance. Unless, that’s the kind of things you want... But really, I think the pieces do "fit" together nicely in a program which means that there MUST be some kind theme that lead the designers to choose those two pieces. We just might not know about it or they might not announce it.

Edited by Rimba47

:blink:

WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE A THEME?????

Can't a corps just go out and play a **** show with just some **** good music w/o there having to be a **** theme now? When did this happen? I don't recall seeing that in the rule book. Hoppy?!?!?!

:blink:

WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE A THEME?????

Can't a corps just go out and play a **** show with just some **** good music w/o there having to be a **** theme now? When did this happen? I don't recall seeing that in the rule book. Hoppy?!?!?!

short attention spans?

I think it's much ado about nothing at this point. As far as Ohiobando goes, he's been a Scout guy for awhile on here so I'm not gonna pile on. I just think he didn't express himself as well as he could have. I did, however, get the gist of his point. What he was basically saying is that Mason and Co aren't doing things according to the preset "norm" that has arisen in the drum corps world. I'm certainly not going to pass judgment on this staff and what they can do until we actually SEE a product on the field.

Unfortunately we're a few months from that yet. :(

the pieces do "fit" together nicely in a program which means that there MUST be some kind theme that lead the designers to choose those two pieces.

No. Tell me, what was the theme of Harmonic Journey? More topically, Power, Pizzazz, and All That Jazz, or even something as vague as, say, A Drum Corp Fan's Dream? And what about those titles makes them necessary? Do we need someone to say "We're playing jazz music this year" or "This is music that appeals to average drum corps fans." I certainly don't mind them, but if Phantom had just showed up in 2003, played four unrelated pieces and left the field without ever giving their show a moderately useless name, my experience of that show would be the same, and I'd still like it.

(disclaimer: all that having been said, "Faust" and "Spartacus" are two of my favorite shows. There's nothing to a themed show or an unthemed show that makes it innately better than the other, just execution and design)

Edited by Stryfe