Attention drummers, the Blue Devils have snare drums again!

Excellent point. Bottom line is if you took Dynasty snare and a Pearl snare next to each other and tuned both to their optimum settings the Pearl will sound better every time. Anyone refusing to accept that doesn't know a drum from a cello, or just isn't being honest with themselves.

If you disagree ask yourselves why they made the switch to Pearls. Pretty sure Blue Devils can write their own ticket relative to a marching battery sponsorship, so if the Dynasty's arent a problem then why switch?

And here I thought all those years in music school and I would know the difference between a drum and cello. :tongue:

Everyone has a preference for how they want a drum to sound. Be it a marching snare, a concert bass drum, or a drumset, everyone has a tuning preference. People don't always agree with each other on what is best. It's why every time someone in my studio plays a kit for a concert, they take like a half hour to tune it in the hall to the sound they want to hear. How does one really tell who's right or wrong? If there's a right and wrong to tuning, please DCP, inform me. I'd love to become enlightened. I truly do no believe there is as much tonal difference from company to company as people want to pretend there is. It's all in what you do with a drum from a tuning perspective.

As for the switch, my sources indicated that it was more business then sound. Just like anyone else, BD took the sweeter deal. Dynasty took very good care of BD, however, they weren't able/willing to give them the deal to accompany the System Blue stuff the way Pearl was able to. BD has now switched EVERYTHING as far as what they play from just a few years ago. This was done as they are making money on the products now, in a true endorsement similar to an athlete and a shoe. For them, it wasn't about getting a good product at its cheapest, which is what Dynasty was offering, but they have now moved to the point of making money for using a product.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI World Class Lines have Maple shells. Not Birch. Fact. They are not the same drums you purchase for high school lines.

I know some have, but I know many others that have stayed with the stock birch shell. There is nothing wrong with it.

That crossed my mind as well, but I think BD will have their tenors cranked a bit more than SCV, or Phantom when they were on Pearl.

Think Bluecoats 1997 or Cadets 1998.

Good thinking! Cadets '98 tenors were REEFED for Pearls

I know some have, but I know many others that have stayed with the stock birch shell. There is nothing wrong with it.

Of course theres nothing wrong with birch shells, but all of today's Yamaha DCI world class lines use maple shells. That's straight from the

Yamaha rep.

I disagree. Your stating an opinion - what sounds "better" to you doesn't necessarily sound "better" to me or the guy/gal next to us. IMO you should judge a drum based how it SOUNDS not the logo on the front.

As for BD "writing their own ticket" for sponsorship that isn't necessarily true... there are many layers to the sponsor/organization partnership beyond: BD IS TEH AHMAZING GIVE THEM WHATEVER THEY WANT FOR FREE! Also, they won two drum titles on those Dynasty's (in fact groups that play Dynasty have won the last three Sanford awards in a row: BD '07, PR '08, BD '09) doesn't seem like the quality of the instruments is the issue...

DCI lines are NOT judged on the quality of their tuning, that is for sure.

YAY! Blue Devils on Pearl's. They were playing some good stuff last year, and the snares sounded bad! This year is gonna be sweet.

And IMO, a properly TUNED and line with proper HEADS on PEARLS, sound better than anything.

6 pages on tap tittie tap ti tittie chum chum flam... are we in withdrawl or what :tongue:

Except Phantom's Dynasty lines have sounded nothing like BD's Dynasty lines. So...tuning has to come into it somewhere!

Totally agree. Phantom has a far acheived a far better sound from their Dynasty's Hmmmm

the solution to our problems:

=]