Putting my cards on the table

except Rimba, the cap is 22

With an often repeated proposal to raise it yet again.

This may be best for evolving the activity into hybrid performance art, but is it the best idea for the "kids"?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of one rule that hinders the creation of new corps.

Wow, that REALLY suprizes me........................ :ph34r:

Such as?

electronics, extra staff to run and maintain the electronics....the touring model

oh I know...you'll say the electronics are "optional". We also know thats ########

electronics, extra staff to run and maintain the electronics....the touring model

oh I know...you'll say the electronics are "optional". We also know thats ########

No, we don't know that. Not you, not me (and I taught last summer). You can profess to think it is, but saying so doesn't make it true. In fact, I firmly believe electronics had little impact on scoring last summer at all, either positive or negative.

Now, having said that, I can see it becoming so, if only by "understanding" if the judges aren't trained to judge it only when it's used, and not judge it when it's not. I certainly hope it's the later.

No, we don't know that. Not you, not me (and I taught last summer). You can profess to think it is, but saying so doesn't make it true. In fact, I firmly believe electronics had little impact on scoring last summer at all, either positive or negative.

Now, having said that, I can see it becoming so, if only by "understanding" if the judges aren't trained to judge it only when it's used, and not judge it when it's not. I certainly hope it's the later.

doesnt matter if it had impact John...the perception is there and has been with every major rules change back to the first valve added to a bugle. if the rule is passed, within a few years, everyone has it because the perception is "you need it"

doesnt matter if it had impact John...the perception is there and has been with every major rules change back to the first valve added to a bugle. if the rule is passed, within a few years, everyone has it because the perception is "you need it"

In this case, (as with Bb/F horns) I disagree. Yea, yea, I know one judge said something amazingly stupid to Pioneer once, but I firmly believe that everyone went to Bb/F because it was the right thing to do for their corps, not because it scored higher. Bb/F lines scored higher because they sounded better faster.

Electronics, as used by all but two corps last summer were pretty much for effect only, or to bolster a brass weakness (which is indeed lame). Only two corps used them in any meaningful way, and I don't believe either corps gained any kind of competitive advantage. Will that change in the future? Maybe, maybe not. I hope not, but we'll see.

I do think you will see most corps adopt electronics in the next year or two...not because they have to, but because they want to.

Edited by Kamarag

In this case, (as with Bb/F horns) I disagree. Yea, yea, I know one judge said something amazingly stupid to Pioneer once, but I firmly believe that everyone went to Bb/F because it was the right thing to do for their corps, not because it scored higher. Bb/F lines scored higher because they sounded better faster.

I believe it was because the horn companies didn't want to go into the small market "G bugle making but pressured certain people to push DCI in the multi key direction so they could use corps as a marketing tool.