Why Announce Where the Corps is from?

Some people are incorrect. The Cavaliers haven't been from Chicago since some time in the 60s and The Cadets left Garfield about 20 years ago (and changed their name to reflect that).

Many corps still have ties to, and receive considerable support from their home town. Why mess with that?

i know that, you know that, and some people don't care. i mean to be technical, many corps arent based where their name says they're from, and people still address them by historical names

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of like saying "the Beach Cities of So. California"!

The Orange County Orphans. At various times the Kingsmen and/or Velvet Knights hailed from Anaheim, Los Alamitos, Buena Park, Fountain Valley, Placentia, Santa Ana, Stanton, Fullerton, and probably a few more I don't recall.

Absolutely correct. None of the Green Bay Packers hails from Green Bay, Wisconsin. Beyond that, how does one take part in an international activity if there is no indication of where the groups geographically identify with?

As Lee Corso says..."Not so fast!" :tongue:

In Asia, many of the sports teams are not named after the cities, but after companies. I think there is quite a bit of that in soccer, as well. But I understand we are talking about a youth activity here. Ichiro, when he played baseball in Japan played for the Orix Blue Wave. Orix is not a city or a place. Daiei Hawks was another team. Daiei is a department store.

But honestly, without looking anywhere. Where are the Cadets currently from? I honestly do not know. They have been from Garfield, Hackensack, Bergen County, Allentown (I am guessing this is the current)

The location names are really more about an identity then a physical location. Somehow the Sunnyvale Vanguard or the Ygnacio Valley Blue Devils don't have quite the same impact.

Some people are incorrect. The Cavaliers haven't been from Chicago since some time in the 60s and The Cadets left Garfield about 20 years ago (and changed their name to reflect that).

Hold the phone, I'm not a language major by far, but........

if they were once in Chicago, then before they were in Rosemont, they were FROM Park Ridge.

So, they are FROM Chicago and / or Park Ridge but now IN Rosemont ?

Yea, I know, picking flea crap out of pepper but I'm proud to be an ignorant jerk.

:tongue:

i know that, you know that, and some people don't care. i mean to be technical, many corps arent based where their name says they're from, and people still address them by historical names

We're really talking about 2 different issues. How people outside an organization refer to them, whether out of habit, sentiment, ignorance, or whatever is one thing. How the organization chooses to identify themselves is another. I see your point, but I don't know or care enough about most corps operations to know whether the city they call home is a lie. If the Boston Crusaders want to say they're from Boston, that's good enough for me.

Hold the phone, I'm not a language major by far, but........

if they were once in Chicago, then before they were in Rosemont, they were FROM Park Ridge.

So, they are FROM Chicago and / or Park Ridge but now IN Rosemont ?

Yea, I know, picking flea crap out of pepper but I'm proud to be an ignorant jerk.

:tongue:

OK

Like I said...you can tell it's winter in the drum corps world. :tongue::tongue:

I'm not here for abuse, I'm here for an argument !

euuh, Boston Crusaders :tongue:

As far as I know, though, Boston doesn't even practice in Boston. Aren't all of their camps in Florida now, or do they still do spring training in Boston?