Why Announce Where the Corps is from?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of like saying "the Beach Cities of So. California"!

Love the Chucks Dale. I was trying to find a photo of VK wearing them. I work for the company and had told people here about VK wearing Chucks as part of their uni.

I think it no longer makes sense in DCI, but it makes sense for other drum corps genres.

DCI has gone showbiz and the key there is to assemble the best acts. This means assembling groups where people come from all over and the groups are run logistically at the most appropriate facilities and locales in order to best to achieve their goals.

Ed Sullivan didn't announce: "From Liverpool, The Beatles!" No, he just said "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Beatles".

DCI has become way too complex and all about the product to focus too much on the location. Plus, the corps all look and sound the same now. It's very homogenized.

When I meet the wonderful members of the Boston Crusaders, I do notice that not a one of them has a Boston accent, or knows too much about the place which is their namesake. That's fine though. It's what DCI has evolved into. I have no problem with it because, over there on a grass roots level, in the other drum corps world, drum corps seems to be re-inventing itself. There are more alumni corps, DCA competition corps and community -all age- corps than ever. It's all good. Actually, because DCI has gone bigtime, and is more of an elite club, I see it as my mission to do my part and recreate a community based drum corps. These corps, and most DCA corps should definitelty retain their sense of place. There is much heritage in these corps still.

In the information age, the digital age, drum corps is having a renaissance. We can communicate in so many ways now to keep the drum corps fires buring during the offseason. We may look back at these years and point to the time where the activity was saved from extinction by the internet.

But I digress.... location, mention is not too important to a DCI Corps.

http://www.pembrokeimperials.org

It's not just Drum Corps geography, sense of place, etc with the new marchers either. I know lots of people that have lived in Boston Ma. all their lives and they couldn't find Abington, Ma. ( on your avatar ) without a map or tell us what the town is known for to save themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

It's not just Drum Corps geography, sense of place, etc with the new marchers either. I know lots of people that have lived in Boston Ma. all their lives and they couldn't find Abington, Ma. ( on your avatar ) without a map or tell us what the town is known for to save themselves.

:doh:

The Concord Blue Devils members are not from the local area for the most part. But the Blue Devil ideal is definitely home grown. The staff of the Blue Devils has remained consistent more than any other corps with some being there for 30+ years. John Meehan, although born in Casper, grew up in Concord and in the Blue Devils to lead the bass section today. It was the local "kids" in the 60's and 70's such as Scott Johnson, the McFarland’s, the Odello's that decided early on that they would be the best that they could be while respecting the individual to achieve that goal in a professional environment. People from around the world come to the organization to participate in that experience. For that I am extremely proud to hear

“FROM CONCORD CALIFORNIA....THE BLUE DEVILS!”

Um Ah, Jay Murphy, Originally from Beverly, MA.

If there are two corps that can't drop where they are from, it's Regiment and Blue Devils.

Simply for the fact that I love the way that Brandt Crocker says Rockford, Illinois and Concord.

:doh:

er...................SANTA CLARA VANGUARD.

I'm sure you probably realized that gaffe nanoseconds after you pushed "send" :doh:

Wow, talk about geographically challenged, LOL. We are 18 miles south of Boston and on the T! What are we known for? Look at any list of Massachusetts towns and see which one is first on the list :)

Edited by Imperial

And MADISON Scouts.

SoCal Dream, Jersey Surf and Carolina Crown to a lesser degree.

Speaking of the Scouts, why don't they just officially move to Bloomington, Indiana & become the Bloomington Scouts? There isn't anything "Madison" left in the Scouts, is there? No practices, no camps, & the corps members now move to Bloomington rather than Madison.

I wonder how the city of Madison feels about the Scouts leaving Madison but still using the name?

Edited by FlamMan