Food for Thought

Stu

Here is some food for thought based on keen observation of the direction DCI seems to have been moving over the past few years.

A deeper issue possibly exists in the incremental direction that the DCI World Class Division appears to be heading. While it is true that the recent age increase was voted down by the WC Directors, both Hopkins (Cadets) and Gibbs (Devils) voted in the positive for the age increase. Combine this with the fact that an adult professional is already allowed to enhance the competitive portion of the show in real time (the sound engineer), along with an anything goes pre-show which was recently voted 20 – 2 in the positive, and it is not difficult to see the possibility for the WC to eventually move into the professional ranks.

Think this idea is a stretch? Well here are two examples of what the Cadets and the Blue Devils, who rake in around $7 million each year can now do in DCI if they so choose. Remeber, in the pre-show, anything goes:

Cadets: Invite Al Chez (former Cadet) and the Late Night with David Letterman band to perform with the corps in the pre-show at Finals and then continue to use the CBS sound engineer throughout the entire show.

Devils: Invite Michael Buble' to perform with the corps at Finals during the pre-show and then continue to use his sound equipment as well as his sound engineer throughout the entire show.

This might seem cool to some; especially to the corps performers who are “on stage” with these pros. Until, of course, they realize that they had to pay $2500 to perform and the pros got paid $2500 to perform. Also, the top WC groups raise millions of dollars each year, so they can afford to pay pros. Moreover, the act of paying professional performers in a non-profit organization already exists. Has anyone seen the Chicago Symphony? So, it is rational to think that the top WC corps directors might want to continue to push the WC division into the realm of the professional.

Think this idea is a stretch? Well here are two examples of what the Cadets and the Blue Devils, who rake in around $7 million each year can now do in DCI if they so choose. Remeber, in the pre-show, anything goes:

I'm not sure where you get your information but the most recent (2008) 990s filed by Youth Education in the Arts (Cadets) and the Blue Devils Parent Association show net revenues of $3.5 million each. Also, each organization supports several programs. Blue Devils have 3 drum corps, a wind symphony and a winter guard program. YEA has The Cadets, USSBA and the Urban Arts Center which runs several performance programs.

When I first starting readng this thread about " going professional ", I thought the concept intriguing as I thought it was going to discuss paying some of the marchers to perform.

Then I realized the thread was about using multi- millionaires in pre shows to enrich other multi- millionaires , and I quickly lost interest.

The notion that Michael Buble would agree to do a brief 2 minute singing gig intro to a Blue Devils show at DCI Championships would have the same likelihood that the Blue Devils Corps would agree to do a brief 2 minute musical gig opening for the National Barbershop Quartet Singing Championships in Duluth, Minnesota.

Not... gonna... happen.

Here is some food for thought based on keen observation of the direction DCI seems to have been moving over the past few years.

A deeper issue possibly exists in the incremental direction that the DCI World Class Division appears to be heading. While it is true that the recent age increase was voted down by the WC Directors, both Hopkins (Cadets) and Gibbs (Devils) voted in the positive for the age increase. Combine this with the fact that an adult professional is already allowed to enhance the competitive portion of the show in real time (the sound engineer), along with an anything goes pre-show which was recently voted 20 – 2 in the positive, and it is not difficult to see the possibility for the WC to eventually move into the professional ranks.

Cadets: Invite Al Chez (former Cadet) and the Late Night with David Letterman band to perform with the corps in the pre-show at Finals and then continue to use the CBS sound engineer throughout the entire show.

Devils: Invite Michael Buble' to perform with the corps at Finals during the pre-show and then continue to use his sound equipment as well as his sound engineer throughout the entire show.

This might seem cool to some; especially to the corps performers who are “on stage” with these pros. Until, of course, they realize that they had to pay $2500 to perform and the pros got paid $2500 to perform. Also, the top WC groups raise millions of dollars each year, so they can afford to pay pros. Moreover, the act of paying professional performers in a non-profit organization already exists. Has anyone seen the Chicago Symphony? So, it is rational to think that the top WC corps directors might want to continue to push the WC division into the realm of the professional.

:tongue: lol

a) On the form 990, Gross Revenue (total collected revenue) and Net (profit less expenditure) are two different items. SCV for example Grossed over $6 million on Bingo alone in 2007. But that form 990 difference is not the point of this post.

b) The Devils have developed BD Entertainment which could easily be converted to a professional paid group performing group along side the corps in the pre-show; then in a few years, when that is a concept which is accepted as old hat, the whole corps could go pro with paid members. That is a point of this post.

c) Have we forgotten that Star of Indiana got the Canadian Brass to do a whole tour with them? and that the Brass Theater would now be allowed to perform in the pre-show? I am sure that Al Chez would love to jam with Paul and the rest of th Letterman guys along with the Cadets at Finals; it would be a gas for both the corps performers and the crowd. That is also a point of this post.

I'm not sure where you get your information but the most recent (2008) 990s filed by Youth Education in the Arts (Cadets) and the Blue Devils Parent Association show net revenues of $3.5 million each. Also, each organization supports several programs. Blue Devils have 3 drum corps, a wind symphony and a winter guard program. YEA has The Cadets, USSBA and the Urban Arts Center which runs several performance programs.

I think he meant "combined", which would seem to be accurate.

A professional musician who is famous would most likely charge $100,000 or more for a performance such as this. I really don't think that even if BD or the Cadets could get the performer it would be worth such an investment.

Even if someone had the money, I would consider it like getting a grass stain on your sunday school clothes, you may not think its a big deal, but your moma (dci fans) isnt gonna be to happy about it. Plus its just kinda low when you really think about it, who wants to pay money to pay a famous celeb to preform with you I mean you could save a few (thousand) Overall if may bring in more spectators to the activity, but that really destroys what the activity was founded on.

Overall if may bring in more spectators to the activity, but that really destroys what the activity was founded on.

As did:

3 valves

multi key instruments

grounded timps

a pit

dancing

performing in domes

fees to audition

high tour fees

should I continue ?

:tongue: